News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

First post

Started by dubcut, February 21, 2011, 12:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubcut

Been reading here a while, first post!

I have a question concerning a digitech XP100 Whammy-Wah. 

Could the processor or drive circuit be changed to yield a better S/N ratio?  Both of mine exhibit the same hiss.

Just seems something could be done.  I keep the Tone-sucker in my loop, but engaged is the problem.  The crazy thing is, none of the effects on it are gain driven, just pitch and wah...

Taylor

I think about the best you could do would be companding.The NE570 or one of the similar chips compresses in front of the a-d conversion, then expands after the d-a conversion. This comparatively raises the level of the lowest instrument signals, which has the relative effect of lowering noise.

Of course, you could just try a booster in front of the xp100 if your signal is not loud enough initially to get the best s/n ratio. The first Whammy had an auto-leveling circuit to maximize this, but I don't know if the xp100 does.

dubcut

Interesting.  I will play with gain levels before it for now..
   It has a level knob on the rear, which adjusts signal level coming in...As many 8+ legged creatures as there are in there, I can't tell what anything is...yet!
I have a 2nd one open now, when I have some rest I will see what I can do to it...

Thanks...

zeusvi

I gave up losing....I believe it is the A/C power making the noise.  Played with compressor and eq settings pre-whammy, no less hiss, but WAY better tracking.

space_ryerson

You might be right. I have a WhammyII, which has a gain control like the XP100. My Alesis 3630 compressor uses a 9VAC adaptor as well, which I tried with the Whammy, and it's a bit of an improvement. I've never had any tracking issues, though.

dubcut

Actually all my pedals are running at 9vdc, Where the XP100 takes a/c to the board.  Did yours run off of DC9v from the compressor?  (not familiar with the WH2).  My compressor was as quiet as a compressor could be, until the whammy gets plugged in.