News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Rebote 3.0

Started by egasimus, July 05, 2011, 01:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egasimus

Yeah.
Given this and this (and also this), I suggest we put together an up-to-date Rebote, with the added features of tails and a filter in the feedback loop (both switchable, of course). I'd do the work myself, but I have some questions.

1. I'm still a bit confused about Slacker's loop wiring. Does it have to use a 3pdt stomp switch, or would it work with the Millenium Bypass, too? I'm not sure if I've seen an up-to-date schematic, either.
2. Since the Rebote has an input buffer of its own, can the tails option be implemented in a simpler way, and one that makes the Rebote true bypass (not that I'm a tb fanatic, but people seem to buy the true bypass story)? Designing switching has always boggled my mind, but I'll work on that.
3. If anyone has a verified Rebote 2.5 schematic in Eagle format, they'd help me immensely. Or at least a link for a schematic that is a bit clearer than the one from Tonepad.

egasimus

This is what I came up with.

What bothers me at this point is that there might be a volume drop in tails-on bypass. What do you think?

Renegadrian

I usually build the v2, also made a vero layout for it. I read a lot about the rebote, I guess you also know that the v2 is sold as BYOC DD. I don't remember exactly where, but I guess in BYOC forum, there are some discussions about DD (rebote 2) mods, like the TAIL mod. Check it out!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Fender3D

Quote from: egasimus on July 05, 2011, 01:55:17 AM
1. I'm still a bit confused about Slacker's loop wiring. Does it have to use a 3pdt stomp switch, or would it work with the Millenium Bypass, too? I'm not sure if I've seen an up-to-date schematic, either.
2. Since the Rebote has an input buffer of its own, can the tails option be implemented in a simpler way, and one that makes the Rebote true bypass (not that I'm a tb fanatic, but people seem to buy the true bypass story)? Designing switching has always boggled my mind, but I'll work on that.

Slacker's loop needs 2 SPDT to work (the trail sw. and the bypass sw.).
It won't provide true bypass, since it buffers the signal going to the output mixer to achieve trails.
You can't obtain "trails" and "true bypass" both toghether in a simple way
With 1 relay and a "true table" you could combine a logic enabling true bypass WHEN trails are OFF but you'll still have a buffer WHEN trails are ON (this would be obviously another schematic)

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

egasimus

Yes, I know that having delay trails is just about the opposite of true bypass. Yet I was wondering if there is some way to have both modes on a pedal, as I don't really want to add more active circuitry just for that, so I came up with the switching schematic I posted. Hmm, I think I messed that one up, though. Fixed.

So what do you think? Am I just reinventing the wheel? I'm not really sure about the theory, so would there be a volume drop if the signals were passively mixed with just a couple of resistors?

Renegadrian

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6410
remember that was about the now discontinued DIGITAL DELAY, which was Rebote 2.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

slacker

Quote from: egasimus on July 05, 2011, 07:48:48 AM
I'm not really sure about the theory, so would there be a volume drop if the signals were passively mixed with just a couple of resistors?

Passive mixing will give you more problems than doing it actively using something like my loop design and it's not true bypass, so I can't see any advantage to it.
I think I can see a way to have tails or true bypass using just switches, but it needs a 3PDT stomp switch, I'll post it later.

Probably best to think up your own name for whatever you come up with and not use someone elses  :)

egasimus

Yes, 'Rebote 3.0' was just a placeholder name, really. The 3PDT switch is a bummer, that's exactly what I was trying to avoid in the first place. I'm curious, what problems do you have in mind?

slacker

Sorry, I thought when you said passive mixing you meant completely passive, with no buffers in there. I see now from your switching you mean mixing the output of the buffer with the output of the delay, that should work Ok.

Your switching won't work though, in tails mode bypassed you need to kill the input to the delay somehow, what you've drawn still has signal going into the delay. This is why I think you need a 3PDT stomp, you would then use the spare poles to kill the input to the delay.

Here's a way to do what you want apart from true bypass

You put the PT2399 part in the send return loop, this gives you a delay with or without tails that uses no more active parts than a Rebote 2.5, and only needs a SPDT stomp switch, the spare throw can be used to add an LED. Some of the component values may need changing and it might need a buffer between send and the PT2399, but the basic idea will work.

earthtonesaudio

The unconnected pole of the Bypass switch could have an LED cathode and resistor to V+ attached if you don't want/need true bypass, gives you bypass and indication with only a SPDT.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Rebote, the name is taken dudes, pick something different.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on July 06, 2011, 03:16:34 AM
Rebote, the name is taken dudes, pick something different.

Fp

Otra Vez  ?

vigilante397

$943?!?!?!?!?!?!  :icon_eek:

That looks like the tonepad one, though it's hard to tell without seeing the guts.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 21, 2015, 04:14:13 PM

Argentinian pesos, not USD.  (USD 1 = ARS 8.70)   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Ice-9

Merlinb had a thread on using 2 switches for true bypass or tails on one of his reverb circuits.  It is a very simple but quite elegant way to achieve it,

3/4 way down the 1st page

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97310.0
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

vigilante397

Quote from: bluebunny on February 22, 2015, 11:03:19 AM
Quote from: vigilante397 on February 21, 2015, 04:14:13 PM

Argentinian pesos, not USD.  (USD 1 = ARS 8.70)   ;)

Ah, that's a little more reasonable. I mean the Rebotes are great, but it's hard to picture someone actually selling them for that much :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 23, 2015, 12:49:18 AM
Ah, that's a little more reasonable. I mean the Rebotes are great, but it's hard to picture someone actually selling them for that much :P

Clay Jones Rebote, anyone?   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

As long as paul mc...ney doesnt use one i,ll take 2 ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

you guys are going nuts
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com