Intentionally tried to blow up a 78XX before ?

Started by DavenPaget, November 03, 2011, 11:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavenPaget

UPDATE : My power supply didn't go into protection , the chip's gone !  :icon_mrgreen:

Who ever said that it was internally current limited ?  :P
Power supply : 12V @ 2A
It became so hot that it reflowed the blob of solder i thrown on the tab !
Hiatus

slacker

I've accidentally tried it with 7805s shorting the output to ground, they get hot as hell with no heatsink but they don't blow up and work fine afterwards.

Looking at the video you've got it wired up backwards, so it's no surprise it didn't work properly, check the datasheet.

DavenPaget

Quote from: slacker on November 03, 2011, 12:14:38 PM
I've accidentally tried it with 7805s shorting the output to ground, they get hot as hell with no heatsink but they don't blow up and work fine afterwards.

Looking at the video you've got it wired up backwards, so it's no surprise it didn't work properly, check the datasheet.
I did it on purpose anyway , I knew it wouldn't work as intended , this chip has been faulty from day 1 .
But the main purpose was to make it smoke  ;D
Simply speaking , i sent 2A through the input and ground . and grounded it from the output .
That would be directly sending that amount of power through the input and to ground and then letting it leave from the output , therefore it will try to regulate and end up turning into a heater .
I should have allowed it to try powering up my MASSIVE alpine amp .
It's amazing how long it lasted . 1 hour of 2A going through it .  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

DavenPaget

I will blow up a crappy TO-92 transistor next time , shot with a DSLR .
Hiatus

DavenPaget

Quote from: CynicalMan on November 03, 2011, 04:03:31 PM

I am pretty much a amateur when it comes to blowing things , yes i've seen rodalco's videos since 2009 .
I fuse silicon not some fruitz .
Hiatus

nexekho

http://www.youtube.com/photonicinduction
Guy's some kind of electrician contractor, blows stuff up for fun.  Blew up a cocanut on 300kv etc.  Also done several videos in which he runs that kind of voltage through everyday equipment.
I made the transistor angry.

DavenPaget

Quote from: nexekho on November 03, 2011, 06:54:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/photonicinduction
Guy's some kind of electrician contractor, blows stuff up for fun.  Blew up a cocanut on 300kv etc.  Also done several videos in which he runs that kind of voltage through everyday equipment.
Yep , i pretty much got my idea from him .
Hiatus