New at runoffgroove.com: Ginger

Started by B Tremblay, November 27, 2011, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

Ginger is our redesigned and improved version of the Flipster.  It much more accurately resembles the character of the Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex amp that inspired it.  Check it out: http://runoffgroove.com/ginger.html

Six sound clips are available on the Sounds page: http://runoffgroove.com/salvo.html#ginger
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Bill Mountain

As a bassist always in search of the next killer bass distortion, I am super excited about this update.  The original flipster was way cool!

Bill Mountain

I broke away from finals to take listen.  This sounds killer.

joegagan

brian, i read the notes and applaud your drive to get it better and better. also, nice that you strayed outside the lines of the original circ to pay homage to the sound of the original.

the clips sound great. i know a lot of bass players will dig this.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Strange how the guitar clips all have some noticeable overdrive but the bass clips (other than the last
one) are not overdriven much at all. The bass playing seemed lite handed...maybe that's it.
Either way, nice work fellas!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

akc1973

Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz

bigandtall

chi_boy

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

wesman26

Strong approval.

Is there any reason the red LEDs by Q1 and Q2 can't be replaced with 1N5818's in the manner they are placed by Q3?

azrael

Looks like a sweet design.

Could you not scale down the 1M resistor in the mu-amp stage to like 470K? Just trying to wrap my head around the circuit, looking forward to putting one together.

DavenPaget

Quote from: azrael on November 30, 2011, 10:04:46 AM
Looks like a sweet design.

Could you not scale down the 1M resistor in the mu-amp stage to like 470K? Just trying to wrap my head around the circuit, looking forward to putting one together.
1M is fine .
Hiatus

stm

Quote from: wesman26 on November 30, 2011, 03:31:24 AM
Strong approval.

Is there any reason the red LEDs by Q1 and Q2 can't be replaced with 1N5818's in the manner they are placed by Q3?
The diodes on the first two 2N5457 JFETs are chosen as red LEDs because their conduction voltage (aprox. 1.5V) is very similar to the maximum input voltage without clipping for the 2N5457.  This prevents harder clipping.  Eventually three silicon diodes in each direction could be used.

Bill Mountain

Quote from: stm on November 30, 2011, 11:06:44 AM
Strong approval.

The diodes on the first two 2N5457 JFETs are chosen as red LEDs because their conduction voltage (aprox. 1.5V) is very similar to the maximum input voltage without clipping for the 2N5457.  This prevents harder clipping.  Eventually three silicon diodes in each direction could be used.

So, this is the first time I've seen this done.  Could this technique be used on any signal you don't want getting too hot before it hits an active component?

frequencycentral

I thought this project would benefit from a PCB with all the pads along the edge, option for various trimmer sizes, and no standing resistors. I believe it to be correct, but still need to check it. Anyone fancy going over it for errors?

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

wesman26

Quote from: Bill Mountain on November 30, 2011, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: stm on November 30, 2011, 11:06:44 AM
Strong approval.

So, this is the first time I've seen this done.  Could this technique be used on any signal you don't want getting too hot before it hits an active component?

I've also never seen this done.  Very cool.

Davelectro

chi_boy

Quote from: Davelectro on November 30, 2011, 09:49:34 PM
Trimpot pads are wrong.

I respectfully disagree.  Why are they wrong?

@frequencycentral - It's a little tough to check without the part values or a part numbered schematic. 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Davelectro

Quote from: chi_boy on December 01, 2011, 12:25:00 AM
Quote from: Davelectro on November 30, 2011, 09:49:34 PM
Trimpot pads are wrong.

I respectfully disagree.  Why are they wrong?
I might be missing something here but all their leads seem to share the same trace. They are not supposed to work as variable resistors that way.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it.  I was confused because leads are hardly noticeable over the black pads. :icon_wink:

frequencycentral

I've updated my layout (above) with component values. If it's not showing above with the values, refresh your cookies and pour a glass of milk. Still needs a little check over.

Quote from: chi_boy on December 01, 2011, 12:25:00 AM
@frequencycentral - It's a little tough to check without the part values or a part numbered schematic. 

When I do layouts, I find I work quicker if I don't add the values when I add the components. And when I add the values later I have to cross reference between the schematic and the layout, which is a bit of a  double check of the layout. So......it may be a little tough to check without the part values, but........that's how I roll.  ;)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

chi_boy

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 01, 2011, 02:14:56 PM
When I do layouts, I find I work quicker if I don't add the values when I add the components. And when I add the values later I have to cross reference between the schematic and the layout, which is a bit of a  double check of the layout. So......it may be a little tough to check without the part values, but........that's how I roll.  ;)

That's cool.  I'm just a rookie.  Thought I would try, but kept getting lost.  Practice, Practice, Practice.....

The Leftover PCB Page