1000 competition !!

Started by frequencycentral/Slade, April 03, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 09, 2012, 07:24:47 AM
OK folks... here is my 1000 entry!

Beautiful!  I knew you'd have a good one! :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Govmnt_Lacky

@John,

Thanks for the comment. I really wasn't as wrapped up in the "look" of the pedal so much. I was more concerned with the level of effort put into it and also whether or not it would be "desirable." I wanted people to look at the pedal and say "I really want that on my pedal board!" Judging from the going rates of the originals, they are highly coveted. The pedal took countless hours to trim and align to get it sounding perfect  ;D

By the way... I really dig the "original enclosure" from your entry. Very, very out of the box!!!   :icon_lol:  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

midwayfair

Govmnt_Lacky, just out of curiosity, why "Conquest" instead of Pestilence?
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

slacker

Quote from: Jdansti on August 09, 2012, 03:02:25 AM

And finally-If you're not bored enough, here's a really exciting video of the monstrosity in action :)
(YouTube gave me some winner thumbnails to choose from-LOL!)

Great video, loved the out takes.

Jdansti

@GL- Thanks. My first attempt at water slides (and a toilet seat ;)). I mainly built this because of a need for a better practice amp than my Fender Bronco.  I actually understated my thoughts about your entry. The whole apocalypse theme and way you tied in the names of the settings is perfect. Let us know where we can get one of those rectangular drill bits for those rocker switches ;).  I'm sure it's a great sounding beast!  You'll have to oblige us with a video when you can. Just a few chords. If you've seen my video, you'll know that you couldn't do any worse!  :icon_redface:

@Slacker - Thanks!  I'm waiting to see if PJP is going to laugh or kick my ass!!! :o
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

I'm hard at work with my "Plan B", well I would be if I wasn't waiting for the paint (base paint) to dry. But I am working in Inkskape to finish my graphics. Sadly I'm out of the color I need, so no chance to finish today.

About 28 hours to go, with a little luck I'll be in before the bell.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Govmnt_Lacky

@Jon,

I chose Conquest because that is one of the ORIGINAL horsemen. Also because it matched the artwork for the pedal  ;).

@John,

I would love to oblige with a video however, the only means I have to do it would be with my cell and I don't want to punish anyone with that  :icon_redface:

Trust me when I say that it is probably one of the BEST flanger and chorus pedals that I have ever played or built. This is coming from someone who is a self-proclaimed modulation junkie  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Earthscum

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 10, 2012, 06:05:54 PM
@Jon,

I chose Conquest because that is one of the ORIGINAL horsemen. Also because it matched the artwork for the pedal  ;).

Made me think of Manifest Destiny when I read that.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

LucifersTrip

This is the end of the world / end of days / judgement day...from Satan's point of view, of course.

The idea was to build something like I've never seen, and make it a complete piece of artwork using mixed media (metal, wood, plastic) with a large chunk of effort put into the interior "art" as well as the exterior.

It's black & blood...

I first tracked down a vintage enclosure deep enough to "handle" the cross. The  perf layout and board size was designed to fit into the original mounting holes in the enclosure, with other sections carved away to handle the pots, jacks & switch.

The circuit is a heavily modified version of an obscure vintage germanium fuzz called an UMI Buzztone. The exapander has been removed and is set, basically, to maximum fuzz. Instead of the "buzz" control, I found my favorite two settings: a straight out fuzz and a pinched version of that fuzz with slight octave. That switch flips between those two.

I used a couple rare vintage germanium black hat transistors and enbedded them externally, into the cross on either side of the hands. A purple LED is embedded on top. The wiring from those three pieces was carefully threaded through a chrome LED bezel behind the cross. The solid black cross was modded (chopped & partially repainted) and mounted through the enclosure at an angle leaning backwards to better mesh with the contour of the stepped enclosure, with a wooden block (not seen, under perf) used to support it. I "sacrificed" one more even rarer black hat germanium transistor for diode use on the perf.

All wires, pots, jacks and switch are black or have been "blackened".

The edges of the jacks, solder points on the pots, solder points on the switch and all long solder "trails" on the circuit board actually glow-in-the-dark, though, I wasn't able to take a good picture of that. This is the best:
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/1000/devil8.jpg

On the exterior, the gold crosses in front are not glued on, but instead are embedded/ melted into the enclosure.

...and the birchwood base that the cross is mounted through is stained with human blood (really).

I don't think anything else needs an explanation...

always think outside the box

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Keppy

The headliners of the Zombie Apocalypse:

"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Jdansti

Quote from: Keppy on August 11, 2012, 08:27:18 AM
The headliners of the Zombie Apocalypse:

Where's my towel? Awesome art, boards, installation, and sound!!!  What does it not do?
  • SUPPORTER

Haddock

Gentlemen, my 1000! competition entry. :icon_evil:

The end of the world distortion and here ist the recipe: first okko dominator clone, second a isp decimator clone, last but not least: mix it and fix it :D.

The pots are all iluminated, the isp pot has a led bar from 1 to 10. The resistors are all white painted and the pcb has a decal.

Good luck everyone ;D

Greetings from switzerland
Urs

Bigger pics are here ;)
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=618

Beo

My 1000 Competition Entry

LOST - Echo Station
Created by The Delay Initiative

Psychological Experiment, or the Ultimate Human Failsafe?

Your responsibility: Push The Button, every 108 seconds, and keep the electromagnetic pile contained!!!

If you're not familiar with the TV show LOST, here's a primer for my inspiration:

Here's my demo:

Here's the Pics:

Details:

Two Display Modes, after startup display (with scrolling):

1.       Push The Button Mode, reset a 108 second CountDown by punching the execute button before time runs out! (You're dead message if you fail to do so). Enabled via internal pin jumper.

2.       Normal Mode, with Delay Tempo and Scale displayed in Milliseconds (max around 1200ms, min around 70ms). Updated once per second. Tempo from Pot or Tap StompSwitch. (Tempo and Scale flashing LEDs always available)

Functions:
1.       Echobase Tap Tempo Delay, Rotary Scale control, Tails, Repeat Tone Control (Smoke Monster) and CRITICAL switch (runaway oscillations).
2.       Execute Button has two modes:
         a.       When effect is on and CRIT mode is enabled, holding Execute causes CRITICAL repeat runaway, which fades away when released.
                   (Also resets Containment CountDown)
         b.      When effect is off, Execute punches in the delay as long as held. Goes CRITICAL if CRIT mode is enabled.
                  (Also resets Containment CountDown)

Random Meltdown Messages (Scrolling):
BOOM!!! U R DEAD
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
HE'S DEAD JIM
THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EARTH SHATTERING KABOOM
ITS MADE FROM PEOPLE
NUKE IT FROM ORBIT
CONTAINMENT BREACH
ITS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE
YOU WILL BE ASSIMULATED
MCGRUBBER!!!
YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! AH, DAMN YOU! GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

This was my first time working with microcontrollers. Fortunately I knew C programming from college. All I can say is that AVR Dragon DebugWire is the bomb!!!

Travis

Here's some big photos:

Keppy

Just catching up on the other entries since mine's finished now. Awesome work guys! Man, this contest really brought out a lot of cool stuff.

My pedal was originally conceived as a birthday present for my wife. It started with the question "How can I make a ring modulator even weirder?" and the answer had me designing for over a year. Since I'm a year-plus late, I was hoping to give her a phaser as well to make up for it.  :D

EDIT: Oh, and I guess I should describe it. It's an OTA-based ringmod driven by an OTA-based VCO. The Trem switch slows down the oscillator to produce a sine wave tremolo. The control voltage can be modified by LFO, envelope follow, and sample/hold circuits. Since I was lifting the last two from the Maestro FSH-1, I decided to add in the filter as well. Now that I've built it, I'm planning some refinements that will take it further from the circuits it's based on in order to better drive the ring modulator VCO. It's powered by a standard 9v supply converted to bipolar via charge pump.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Perrow

It's eight hours to go, right? About time to apply the clear coat, don't you think?

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

midwayfair

Wow, #@!%# just got real. I was really worried there would only be a handful of entries, but it's shaping up to be quite the contest.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

pakrat

Ok, here's my entry... sort of.....It's a Ustomp Ampeg scrambler paired up with a Tonepad MXR Distortion plus.
I chose the ampeg scrambler because it sounds like doom. The distortion plus idea came from a thread where Mark Hammer recommended putting these two together... thanks Mark!
On the distortion plus side, you have the choice of germanium diodes (1N34A), or 5mm red leds for clipping. The red led is top center of the myan calendar and lights when in use.
On the scrambler side, you can use either BC169B, or 2N3904 trannys.
Unfourtunately, this pedal is not currently working. I planned this out as soon as I entered, but renovations at the house left me no time to build it. I was up until 5am last night trying to finish, but ran out of time to debug. Good luck to everyone, all of the entries look amazing!

garcho

Nice work dudes! Now that the contest is over, I finally got an idea:

the Doomsday machine! Not sure what it does yet. I'll submit it when the pictures thread gets to page 2012. Keep your eye on those precious bodily fluids!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Perrow

It's not over yet, I'm counting six more hours, please tell me I'm not mistaken.

Curing my clear coat, it's been in there for an hour or so now, I'll let it sit for 30 min more at least. After that I need that machine for some laundry, and I think it's about time to finish this project.