My new circuit - "1983 Fuzz" Old School Atari type fuzz

Started by timd, April 09, 2012, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrakd

What do the pots do? I know one is Volume, what do the other 2 do?
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM
Amps:  Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

timd

They each shape the sound. When I make the video, I'll demonstrate that. From left to right, each pot seems to go from bass to treble. The change is not extreme, but its a nice touch.

petey twofinger

excellent , thanks for the video .

i commented .

i will sub too , hold on .

subbed .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

timd

Thanks Petey! Hey, I checked out your Youtube again - nice stuff - subscribed!

petey twofinger

yeah i have to catch up on my video "production" ...

its really time consuming , but ... i really dig the idea of archiving this stuff i do .

thanks for the sub , i am looking forward to seeing more of YOUR work !

keep those oddball chassis comin  , the idea of reusing stuff like that , it really stands out , that's class man .

i used to do a lot of garbage pickin before i got hurt , i really miss those nights .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

timd

Thanks for the kind words! That box for the 1983 fuzz was a black power supply I gutted and sprayed light blue - It really turned out better looking than I though when it was all assembled... I'm super new to the whole building scene, but I'm constantly working on a breadboard with whacked out stuff like a mad scientist. I'll post what I come up with if its anything good.

timd

Has anyone else tried this build? I'd love to hear feedback and/or suggestions...

Vince_b

I'm going to try it but I don't have a 556 on hands and it might takes two weeks to get the one that I have ordered.
I really like the soundclip!

~arph

I'm not getting the schematic  ???
I looks like you only using one of the timers in the 556.. then why is there a pot connected to the A discharge?  you're not using A's output at all..
Can't you just use a 555 instead?

Could you please elaborate?

timd

I'll have to do some breadboard work to see if one could get by with only a 555. The reason I used a 556 is because I'm using both threshold pins in the design (2 and 12) and didn't know if I could modify it. It might be more streamlined to use a 555 instead of the 556 and possibly remove a pot. The pot coming off discharge A? I have no electronical rational there - I was just screwing around with components on a breadboard.

Vince_b

I have breadboarded this circuit with no success today. The only thing that I have achieved is an acrid smell coming out of the 556. Are you sure that there is no mistakes in the schematic that you have drawn?

timd

I'm pretty sure there are no mistakes.  I drew the schematic from my breadboard, then used that schematic to build my final version. I'll take a look if I have some time. Anyone else build this?

deadastronaut

suggestion: put a 10uf on 386 pin 1-8... ;)

btw subbed ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

kodiakklub

DA: an electrolytic i assume? which way would + go or does it matter? making a proper schem in eagle right now for this and will post it

deadastronaut

yep electro...  either way..   breadboard it first!!!... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

kodiakklub

i actually found it moments ago on another non-pedal related site. its the first google image result when searching "ic386"
timd: is this correct?

Vince_b

I tried it again today (with the 10uF across pin 1-8) and I still counldn't get it to work  :(. There is no sound at all and as soon as I power it up the 556 is getting burning hot. It looks like such a simple circuit, I really don't get what I am doing wrong.
Have you breadboarded it kodiakklub?

timd

Kodiakklub - can you give me the link to this? I tried to type in the same google image search, but couldn't find it - must be a regional thing. Well, its not my circuit...but so close....Was I at least given credit in some way?

Vince - do you have a different 556 ic you can try? 

timd

Upon further review, minus the 10 uf cap, it looks like someone jacked my circuit. It's really easy to tell because I used some component sizes that might not be ideal and I was going to change. Distressing.