BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

Just some of the pf caps but I was never off by more than a few pf.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

darron

Quote from: J0K3RX on November 11, 2012, 07:18:00 PM
Quote from: darron on November 11, 2012, 04:00:03 PM
Where do you get that dark brown PCB you used in the top view mock? I've really been looking for some!

7 posts down from the top there is a link.  :icon_wink:

Here it is again anyway... And it's black by the way.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-shts-Copper-Clad-Laminate-030-4-x-6-SS-BLACK-/160919708838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25778fe4a6

No no. I want the dark brown one in the mock picture : D

I was mostly kidding. But been looking for board in that colour for a long time.

That ABCfab guy is really cool though. I've got heaps of board off him.

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

J0K3RX

Quote from: GreedyFly on December 16, 2012, 02:04:14 PM
Who can transfer it to veroboard!!??

Not me man... I can barely wrap my head around diylc and Sprint! vero throws me for a loop, I don't know what the hell is going on or even where to start?

btw - I am working on a new version of this using a combination of mosfets and jfets... just fyi! I know... :icon_rolleyes: You guys are thinkin "How many times is this douche bag gonna change this thing?" and my answer would be until it's right!  :icon_mrgreen:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

pakrat

I had to order more copper board to keep up with this project  :icon_rolleyes:

J0K3RX

Quote from: pakrat on December 16, 2012, 04:21:45 PM
I had to order more copper board to keep up with this project  :icon_rolleyes:

I pretty much used one board for this whole project.. You should see it! I has jumpers, burned off pads/traces, off-board point to point.. sh!t hangin off all over the place, I even have surface mount stuff on it. It's a mess from hell! I tried to build this on bread board but after I left it sit for a few days without touching it I came back to it and didn't know wtf I was looking at? Totally lost track of it on bread board...

pakrat

That's ok man. I'll etch as many as it takes to get this one going  :icon_twisted:

kabi

Quote from: Cap on November 06, 2012, 05:48:22 PM
@ jim: It sounds killer!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

ok, as promised:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3511352/Black%20Forest_1590B%20layout_gate%20version.pdf-------> UNVERIFIED

should be ok  ;) please report errors or tell me if you need explanations. Enjoy  :)

Ciao :)

this looks ace, is it verified yet?

thanks in advance

markmcconachie

I built this. It is pretty awesome! I will make some sound clips soon!
Mark

J0K3RX

Quote from: markmcconachie on January 26, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
I built this. It is pretty awesome! I will make some sound clips soon!

Great!! I want to hear it..!

I will be posting all new layout/builds for Engl, Krank, SLO, VHT, Bogner, Laboga, Diezel (not Diefet), Marshall  and more... NO posting until I know they are working ::) I have been working on them for quite a while! I am using all Russian schematics since they seem to know what the hell they are doing  :icon_mrgreen:

I have so much sh!t my head is spinning!!! :icon_eek:

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

deafbutpicky

We want demos!!! A pedal shootout, go for it, I know you want to  :icon_mrgreen:

markmcconachie

Okay, I will do a shootout with what I have here...

Black Forest
AMT B2
Dr Boogie
5150 amp (i'll just use the preamp and the same cab sim stuff as the others)

I will do them in a mix so that we get the best idea of how they all blend in. :D
I will try to get time to do this tonight...

I have been considering trying to make a jfet ampeg svt preamp version too...
Mark

meffcio

Quote from: markmcconachie on January 27, 2013, 07:20:45 AM
(i'll just use the preamp and the same cab sim stuff as the others)
Well, don't you have a mike, so you could connect the preamps directly to 5150's power amp, and record from the cabinet? Unless you'll be using impulses - they're ok.

markmcconachie

I will use nebula, it's kinda like impulses but much better.

The room isn't great for micing and I can't really sound treat it or build an isolation box right now.

Trust me, there will be nothing wrong with my cab sim ;)
Mark

hangingmonkey

The pedal shootout sounds like a great idea. Gonna bookmark this page and check it later. Im planning to build the blackforest and it would be great to hear what it sounds like compared to other pedals using the same gear.

meffcio

Quote from: markmcconachie on January 27, 2013, 07:57:57 AM

The room isn't great for micing and I can't really sound treat it or build an isolation box right now.

Can't wait!  ;D

J0K3RX

Quote from: markmcconachie on January 27, 2013, 07:57:57 AM

Which version of Nebula are you using? I've not used it before but was looking at it on their website and also over at guitarampmodeling... Which version should I get? N3 Pro Bundle 3, N3 Bundle, N2 Bundle...? There is also the FREE version, is that any good, will that work or is it severely limited?? I use impulses all the time so I'm eager to try something new... ;D  Doesn't it use impulses, I see there are a lot of Libraries on guitarampmodeling..? Sorry for all the questions...  :icon_wink:

markmcconachie

I have nebula 3 pro bundle. There are some libraries that work with the free one but iirc, there are not so many.
Nebula is similar to impulses but more dynamic. From what I understand it kinda applies a difference impulse depending on the volume, so it captures better how the speaker reacts depending on volume. I notice a huge difference in 'feel' between this and impulses.

I started recording some of the sound samples and it's really nice to see how this compares to the other preamps. The Br Boogie and the AMT B2 lack some sort of detail in the high end. I don't know how to describe this, you will hear when I am done, but I had never noticed until comparing them directly!

When do you expect to release layouts for those other pedals?

EDIT:
This is the Nebula library that I usually use
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/
Mark

J0K3RX

Quote from: markmcconachie on January 27, 2013, 04:56:50 PM
I have nebula 3 pro bundle. There are some libraries that work with the free one but iirc, there are not so many.
Nebula is similar to impulses but more dynamic. From what I understand it kinda applies a difference impulse depending on the volume, so it captures better how the speaker reacts depending on volume. I notice a huge difference in 'feel' between this and impulses.

I started recording some of the sound samples and it's really nice to see how this compares to the other preamps. The Br Boogie and the AMT B2 lack some sort of detail in the high end. I don't know how to describe this, you will hear when I am done, but I had never noticed until comparing them directly!

When do you expect to release layouts for those other pedals?

EDIT:
This is the Nebula library that I usually use
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/

I really would like to hear what you have come up with!  :icon_twisted:

Re: When do you expect to release layouts for those other pedals?

Here's a teaser...