BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on February 03, 2013, 03:23:39 PM
sounds pukka!...

gate works a treat eh.... :icon_twisted:

Yeah, doesn't really work like a traditional gate so it really never clips the notes... even with the gate all the way up and playing almost clean still doesn't clip. But like I said it takes away some of the highs but you can compensate by rolling the treb knob up more...

Ummm... what is pukka?  ::) is that like puke or poop? I know I suck but that's kinda harsh don't ya think? :'(
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

meffcio

Sorry guys, but I can't check if the schematic and layout are consistent like i promised. I haven't got time for anything yet - gotta learn for my exams..

J0K3RX

Quote from: meffcio on February 03, 2013, 04:04:29 PM
Sorry guys, but I can't check if the schematic and layout are consistent like i promised. I haven't got time for anything yet - gotta learn for my exams..

Forget those exams man and check that damn schematic/layout... immediately!  :icon_evil: I'm only jokin!  :icon_lol: No problemo...! Go study!!! 

Michael80

Quote from: J0K3RX on February 03, 2013, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: Michael80 on February 03, 2013, 12:22:42 PM
Ok ...working on the BF pedal for days and finaly i'm getting somewhere. 8)Last thing to do is to find the right resistor combination for R22 & R5 acording to my guitar's pickups and it's done.
But today i discovered another issue!!(the last i hope).
I added a delay pedal to the signal ....guitar--->black forest--->delay--->amp.. and with the BF always on ,everytime i engaged the delay the signal was getting too loud about 6-8db.
Does anybody experienced that before?aAny thoughts?

Well, I can't really say since I have not tried the bf and a delay into the front input of an amp... I'm sure somebody will know but will they respond is the question? What delay is it?
Its a line 6 dl4 but i also tried another one just to make sure tha it's the bf that amplifies the signal.Tried also the same chain connected direct to the power amp of an engl powerball.
same problem.... :-[

J0K3RX

Quote from: Michael80 on February 03, 2013, 06:19:07 PM
Quote from: J0K3RX on February 03, 2013, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: Michael80 on February 03, 2013, 12:22:42 PM
Ok ...working on the BF pedal for days and finaly i'm getting somewhere. 8)Last thing to do is to find the right resistor combination for R22 & R5 acording to my guitar's pickups and it's done.
But today i discovered another issue!!(the last i hope).
I added a delay pedal to the signal ....guitar--->black forest--->delay--->amp.. and with the BF always on ,everytime i engaged the delay the signal was getting too loud about 6-8db.
Does anybody experienced that before?aAny thoughts?

Well, I can't really say since I have not tried the bf and a delay into the front input of an amp... I'm sure somebody will know but will they respond is the question? What delay is it?
Its a line 6 dl4 but i also tried another one just to make sure tha it's the bf that amplifies the signal.Tried also the same chain connected direct to the power amp of an engl powerball.
same problem.... :-[

May be because I left the buffer off after the volume knob? Should be something like this... That is why I mentioned a buffer to you before. I left it off because I was trying to keep the board size down, now I think I should have added it? You can easily build it on a piece of perf board then just run into it from the center lug on the volume pot and follow the schematic.... sorry, this was a learn as ya go project for me, and still is! Pay no attention to the presence pot... :icon_wink:

Another thing is the DL4 may have level difference between bypass and effect on, may not be true bypass... Not real familiar with it but I know there are a ton of mods for the DL4..? Try to run the DL4 in the FX loop of the amp and the BF direct into the front of the amp?

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Michael80

J0K3RX thanks  for the schem! I will try it today and see what happens :icon_cool:

hangingmonkey

Sorry for such a basic question but what does the cab sim do?

J0K3RX

Quote from: hangingmonkey on February 04, 2013, 03:59:08 PM

It enables you to run directly to a recording device and or mixer using only a preamp. It simulates a miked up Celestion V30 loaded cab... It's debatable which sounds better, obviously I think a real cab and mic is as close as you're gonna get to a real cab and mic, duh ::) But, if you're sitting in your room and don't want to wake anybody up or don't have the money to go buy a cab and mic then this is your ticket! Or, you can use software cab simulation and impulses (which I love) but I'm not gonna get into that here... Hardware cab simulation has really kinda lost it's following and dropped by the way side since the appearance of software emulation and impulses!

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on February 04, 2013, 03:40:13 AM
UK terminology ..poached from hindu's.. ;)......meaning great/genuine/proper...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukka

Ah ha... I can see said the blind man :icon_eek: Pukka Grande' :icon_lol:

hangingmonkey

Quote from: J0K3RX on February 04, 2013, 07:14:12 PM

It enables you to run directly to a recording device and or mixer using only a preamp. It simulates a miked up Celestion V30 loaded cab... It's debatable which sounds better, obviously I think a real cab and mic is as close as you're gonna get to a real cab and mic, duh ::) But, if you're sitting in your room and don't want to wake anybody up or don't have the money to go buy a cab and mic then this is your ticket! Or, you can use software cab simulation and impulses (which I love) but I'm not gonna get into that here... Hardware cab simulation has really kinda lost it's following and dropped by the way side since the appearance of software emulation and impulses!

Thanks for explaining. So, should I make 2 outputs, one from the black forest pcb output for plugging into the return of my amp and another output - black forest pcb->cab sim->output jack for recording/mixing device?

Thanks

J0K3RX

Quote from: hangingmonkey on February 04, 2013, 08:36:20 PM
Quote from: J0K3RX on February 04, 2013, 07:14:12 PM

Thanks for explaining. So, should I make 2 outputs, one from the black forest pcb output for plugging into the return of my amp and another output - black forest pcb->cab sim->output jack for recording/mixing device?

Thanks

You don't have to add any outputs to the board... Just jump an output wire and ground wire from the standard output to the cabsim board and then your 9v straight from the power jack, done! The good thing about this is that the cabsim is always on but if you are running from the standard output you will never know. Also, if you want to run out of the cabsim output and you hit bypass for the BF preamp the cabsim is still on! So, if you want to just use it for a cab simulation box then you can! You can run another preamp pedal into the BF then hit bypass for the BF board then for example, run a Dr. Boogie into it and use just the cab simulation... Hope that all makes sense?  That's the way the AMT pedals are designed also. And I think this cab sim sounds better than the AMT simulation, brighter and has more thump!

Vince_b

Since you're talking about cab sim... I don't know much about recording and I have a question. If I want to record on my computer with a cab sim, is it better to also use an audio interface?

J0K3RX

Quote from: Vince_b on February 04, 2013, 10:38:17 PM
Since you're talking about cab sim... I don't know much about recording and I have a question. If I want to record on my computer with a cab sim, is it better to also use an audio interface?

You mean as apposed to straight into your sound card? I would say absolutely! I just use a crappy Line 6 GX USB interface and it works pretty good... I know there are much better out there but for $50 it does it for me, bought it used... I have seen some for like $29.00 but can't remember the brand? Whatever it was got really good reviews! I use the GX running into my PC then I use Reaper DAW and use ASIO4ALL. I hear good things about the focusrite interfaces, might get one soon?
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces

Vince_b

Thanks for all the informations JOK3RX.

I actually bought myself a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for christmas but I didn't had the time to really use it yet. From the reviews that I read it was pretty much the best unit in the price range that I wanted to pay.

chromesphere

Hey Jim,
I was thinking about giving that cab sim a go.  Dont suppose you have a pdf copy of it for us DPI challenged individuals? :)
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

J0K3RX

Quote from: chromesphere on February 04, 2013, 11:47:26 PM
Hey Jim,
I was thinking about giving that cab sim a go.  Dont suppose you have a pdf copy of it for us DPI challenged individuals? :)
Paul

Check yer email  :icon_wink:

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

J0K3RX

Quote from: chromesphere on February 05, 2013, 05:32:19 PM
(thanks Jim!) ;-)
Paul

No problem! I realized that the diagram I sent you has no resistor values or part numbers on it so you kinda have to look at the circuit to figure out what they are... I didn't draw that but it's a better layout than mine in my opinion and is the one I used. Not too hard to figure out..