BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmcconachie

After reading the AMT article about JFET emulation, am I correct in understanding that it's the additional diodes that make the black forest clean up so much with the guitar volume rolled back?

What exactly is the SLO-RECTO based on? I assume soldano and mesa rectifier, are these amps similar?
Mark

J0K3RX

Quote from: markmcconachie on February 11, 2013, 08:10:42 PM
After reading the AMT article about JFET emulation, am I correct in understanding that it's the additional diodes that make the black forest clean up so much with the guitar volume rolled back?

What exactly is the SLO-RECTO based on? I assume soldano and mesa rectifier, are these amps similar?

Yes, I think that it helps it clean up, at least from what my ears tell me.

I think the additional diodes can be added to both the SLO and the Uberschall I just posted, might do that tonight... Although, I believe schottky diodes should be used such as BAT41, BAT85 rather than the 1N4148... I was reading some obscure stuff that Victor K wrote and from the bad google translation I believe he said that the 1n4148's could be used in a pinch if that's all you could come up with.? I could have interpreted that wrong? But, all of the AMT pedals use BAT54 which is the SMD version of the BAT85...  They also use 2SK208-R or 2SK879-R... both are the same. The through hole version is 2SK30A-R... Both are crazy hard to find! They have a lot less noise than the J201's!

I think the SLO/Recto is a hybrid translation of the best of both amps? I don't really see anything dual rectifier about this as there are no power tubes??
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

markmcconachie

My wife is a native Russian speaker, if there is anything you don't find translates well, PM me and I'll get her to explain it to me. :)

Does the Dr boogie emulate power amp tubes?
Mark

jymaze

I think the diode is an attempt at making clipping the most asymmetrical as possible with a jfet (which is way less than with a tube though). I am not sure how it would help clean-up... Any pedal with too much gain does not clean-up well. I think a good clean-up is more about choosing a good gain range, just enough to have a good range of different gain sounds, without going over the level where more gain does not sound any different (when you further amplify a square wave, it is still a square wave, same sound but with more sustain and noise...)

J0K3RX

Quote from: markmcconachie on February 11, 2013, 09:46:43 PM
Does the Dr boogie emulate power amp tubes?

None of these preamps emulate power tubes that I know of, just the preamp section.

I think the diodes between source and gate help round/smooth out the tone, less harsh... May be why it seems to clean up better? Or, maybe it is the power of suggestion? But, I do see what you are saying jymaze and I agree..

J0K3RX

J0K3RX

Another... Boogazy = Bogner Ecstacy / Channel OD2 and OD3

Sorry, clean channel is coming...

~ Jim

J0K3RX

There doesn't seen to be a lot of interest in this forum for this kind of stuff?  :-\  Oh well, I think I will take a break...

The few people that are interested PM me and I will keep you updated...

~ Jim

Maik

Stop!!!
At least I´m interestet. This kind of stuff is the importent stuff.
Please don´t take a breake.

bluesdevil

Hey Jim - Don't get discouraged! I thinks it's a real dedicated effort you're putting in.
In the end maybe  a sound clip "shootout" between them all would stir up some builds.
I'll definitely be following this thread and hope to build up another one.  :icon_twisted:
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

meffcio

I'm also interested as hell, but I kinda gave up, since I don't have much free time yet (that's actually gonna change in 2 days), and I can't find the damn transistors. I have 100 pcs of 2N7000s, but there's no way of buying J201s or 2N5457/8s for normal price here.

J0K3RX

Quote from: meffcio on February 13, 2013, 02:02:54 AM
I'm also interested as hell, but I kinda gave up, since I don't have much free time yet (that's actually gonna change in 2 days), and I can't find the damn transistors. I have 100 pcs of 2N7000s, but there's no way of buying J201s or 2N5457/8s for normal price here.

NTE458

deadastronaut

@jim:  don't get dis-heartened man..... not all of us are fuzz heads!!!!.. ;)

theres enough of us hi gain fans to keep you busy i'm sure!...and i'm sure weve all tried the inevitable , compulsory dr boogie..

and would like to have a better hi gainer..or 2....theres always room for \m/  :icon_twisted: \m/ stuff!!!!....

btw i know the feeling, in the sustainer thread i was practically talking to myself for several pages... ::) ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Somicide

Love this stuff and all you're doing, Jim.

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of folks like myself have been lurking and reading, and not posting.  IMO, 20 pages is a lot for a latecomer to take in to find out whats going on.  Heck, they may not even realize that there is more than one circuit in this bad boy; the title is now a bit misleading!  In my case, if i miss a day or two on here, I come back to several pages of catch-up.

Maybe a new thread with all layouts right up front, with a spot reserved for the above mentioned clip shootout?  I'd love to hear side by side comparisons.  Being ever the finicky distortion fan, I like to have all my options in front of me! :icon_twisted:
Peace 'n Love

J0K3RX

That's cool... :icon_smile: I have a lot of stuff going on right now.. My father in law is dying with cancer and it's taking it's toll on all of us. My wife is in and out crying, my mother in law is letting herself go and she collapsed from all the heart ache and not eating, sleeping etc... Wife crying some more.  :icon_cry: Not really bothering me so much that he is dying (hate to see him die) but, I am not that close to him and he is 83 years old so... everybody get's their turn ya know.. and when it's your turn it's your turn, no getting out of it! Harder to watch my wife fall apart than anything... And, we also have a son with autism who needs constant attention (which I don't mind at all because I love him more than life!) but that takes a toll as well.. My job is letting a bunch of people go, don't know who or when...  ::)  So, every now and then I get down and feel hopeless... But you gotta take it one day at a time. Hope ya all understand.. I am doing this stuff cause I love it and it also just so happens to also take my mind off all the sh!t going on in the world, if only for 30 minutes it's good!

Carry on!  :icon_wink:
God Bless!!!

~ Jim

deadastronaut

@jim:  i feel your pain man, ive got the same painful sh*t going on in my life now too, my mum has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, i'm totally gutted, she lives 250 miles from me which is a PITA , but am off to see her at the weekend and

stay with her and my brother for a few days.. its the hardest sh*t to deal with man, ive had my brother die from it too...and my son in law...and seen it from start to the inevitable end in both cases.

and now have to face this again with my mum. its @#$%ing bollocks mate!..just so you know you aint the only one out there going through this man!..

i feel helpless, but i have a good missus and friends , and them just being there  truly helps, just take it one day at a time as thats all we can do....

all the best to you +family , keep ya chin up mate. rob.

and yes, keeping busy, certainly takes your mind off it a little... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Vince_b

Hey Jim, don't take a break from posting in this thread!
Although I don't actively participate, I have been following this thread since the beginning and I'm very interested by all the stuff you come up with. I'm sure this is the case of many others too.
I don't know when I will have the time to build an high gainer, but I sure will do eventually.

My thoughts are with you and your family, I hope everything is going to get better.

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on February 13, 2013, 07:47:24 AM
@jim:  i feel your pain man, ive got the same painful sh*t going on in my life now too, my mum has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, i'm totally gutted, she lives 250 miles from me which is a PITA , but am off to see her at the weekend and

stay with her and my brother for a few days.. its the hardest sh*t to deal with man, ive had my brother die from it too...and my son in law...and seen it from start to the inevitable end in both cases.

and now have to face this again with my mum. its @#$%ing bollocks mate!..just so you know you aint the only one out there going through this man!..

i feel helpless, but i have a good missus and friends , and them just being there  truly helps, just take it one day at a time as thats all we can do....

all the best to you +family , keep ya chin up mate. rob.

and yes, keeping busy, certainly takes your mind off it a little... ;)

Damn Rob! That's way more than I am dealing with bro! No matter how bad you think you have it sometimes there is always somebody who has it worse!! I really feel for ya man! I have a hard time watching people I care about in pain more than I have dealing with the pain myself! I haven't seen any of my "close" family die... That would be legendary pain!! My dad had cancer but has been clean for 12 years now and my mom is still alive and brother so what am I crying about!? Just be thankful for what I have because nobody is guaranteed tomorrow! Anyway, your words help! Hope things get better for you and your family!! Sounds like you are really going through some really tuff times!  :-\

Anyway, we all come here to forget about this other stuff (at least I do) so, let's get on with it.
I think I will try to start new posts in the member area with all of the stuff in the first post so ya'll don't have to search through 20 pages of blah blah blah BS... And, if anybody has any of their stuff they can add it too etc.. Just a new clean start, see where it goes? Thoughts?

bluebunny

@Jim, Rob:  Crikey fellas, sounds like you guys are in need of a bit of love from yer geeky pedal-building mates!  You've come to the right place.  And there's the rest of us moaning about this cr4ppy transistor or that bo11ox op-amp...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

chromesphere

@rob, thats terrible news...Wishing you and your family all the best mate...
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube