PUNCH - 1W amplifier

Started by tca, September 24, 2012, 06:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tca

^ You can work sort of work backwards...
Of course... I forgot to do that! Thanks.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

nordine

I wanted to thank the OP for such a simple and fantastic circuit

however, we got some troubles  :-\

was it just bad luck or the TDA7052 is reeeeeally sensitive and prone to blow up?

i just tested mine on breadboard, worked like a charm, i used it to amplify my sony erickson and theres lots of volume and it clearly can deliver the EQ i set on my phone (including clear sub bass). then i soldered it and set it up on a copper strip, and it didnt work. insisted a lot, but nothing happened. threw it back to the breadboard, and it wouldnt work anymore.... so, does this chip need extremely caring handling? cheers

chptunes

i've soldered several TDA7052A chips (no sockets).. without any trouble.  Like with all chips, I'm careful to not heat them up too long.

Try another one.. perhaps with a socket this time.

nordine

Quote from: chptunes on July 26, 2013, 04:53:14 AM
i've soldered several TDA7052A chips (no sockets).. without any trouble.  Like with all chips, I'm careful to not heat them up too long.

Try another one.. perhaps with a socket this time.

i socketed it. so its not a feeble IC, im puzzled now

however i didnt use the "A" version, i used the TDA7052

zedsnotdead

Hi!

did anyone add a headphone jack to this schematic?

chromesphere

Quote from: zedsnotdead on August 01, 2013, 10:48:34 AM
Hi!

did anyone add a headphone jack to this schematic?

Anticipating an answer to this question, great idea!

Quote from: nordine on July 26, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
however i didnt use the "A" version, i used the TDA7052

"A" version is for the volume pot.  If you don't use the "A' pretty sure you have to leave off the volume pot.
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

zedsnotdead

Well, already searched for an answer, but i can't find a solution for a BTL configuration... just found schemetics only for single ended (I think=) a headphone jack using the negative ground of speaker and such.
Really, does anyone have any idea how to do this? Please?

chromesphere

If I decided to connect my headphones to the output of the punch amp, would I kill them? 

The datasheet for the tda7052a says this:

Missing Current Limiter (MCL)
A MCL protection circuit is built-in. The MCL circuit is
activated when the difference in current between the
output terminal of each amplifier exceeds 100 mA (typical
300 mA). This level of 100 mA allows for headphone
applications (single-ended).

Which suggests to me the chip will adjust the current on the output depending on the load, but i'm not willing to risk my headphones for it :)

Paul

Pancake

Since I have worked with both the tda7052a and the tda2822m chips I figured I would just point something out that seems to have gone unnoticed. The 7052a is only specc'ed for a 6V supply when connected to an 8ohm load. Maybe that's why some of you have had the chip fail.

It was also mentioned that the 2822m had some ghosting but the person also said he was using a 12v supply on a load ranging from 4 to 16 ohm. The max supply on a 4 ohm load for this chip is less than 5v. For an 8ohm load the max supply is 6V and 16ohm takes a 9v supply.

Hope this helps someone.

MaxPower

Has anyone tried running one of these with a 6 volt battery? I wonder how long one of those batteries would last. Oh, and I mean a flashlight battery or whatever, not an automotive battery (though an automotive battery might be an idea...)..
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

smurfedelic smurfberry

Hey,

I've been messing around with this on a perfboard, and i can indeed tell you it works well with headphones.

Here is a schematic of the variant i built:

http://imgur.com/URTeFuF

Tried with both and without R1 on headphones and speakers, and well, for headphones i didn't even notice any difference in signal strength.

Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

chromesphere

Hey Smurf, good to hear (headphones).  Did you adjust anything to use headphones with your vero layout, or is it the same as CHPTunes schematic?   Would be really handy to be able to connect headphones to it.  Might just have to watch the volume output.
Paul

smurfedelic smurfberry

Ah, yes, it's the chptunes schematic exactly, just lost the reference to who made it, i will add credit if i publish the vero layout futher. i think its the chip's limiter doing its job that makes it.
Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

Rock_on

we don't have j201 and mpf102 here.. 2n5458 only, what would I change to make it work?

S_DANILO

Hello everybody! Newbie needing help!

I've chosen the Punch Amp to be my first DIY project, and I actually think I was successful since I had never used a soldering iron before, but the thing is the amp is not working (as expected from a newbie!)...

I believe that my PCB is doing fine 'cause I tested all the tracks with the multimeter. I also checked if there is any voltage going to the speaker and that seams to be fine too...

So, it would help me a lot if you could share some experience about where I must start the debugging. I have to admit that I don't have a clue about this.

Oh, and by the way, my best regards to TCA who made this circuit and to Chromespherecom, who's made a video!

Regards,
Sergio

PRR

> I must start the debugging. I have to admit that I don't have a clue

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Debugging
  • SUPPORTER

chromesphere

Yeah unfortunately, some basic troubleshooting is probably needed.  Check there are no solder bridges between joints, component values are correct, etc.  Also you said 'pcb'.  Which pcb are you using?  A piece of vero or something you etched / designed yourself?
This thread doesnt get alot of attention but if you want you can post your voltages.  Someone might be able to point out a problem.
Paul

tca

Quote from: Rock_on on September 11, 2013, 04:06:28 AM
we don't have j201 and mpf102 here.. 2n5458 only, what would I change to make it work?
Nothing. Just try it.

S_DANILO

@ PRR and Chromesphere, thanks a lot for your answers. I'll follow the guide that PRR posted and, if not successful, I'll share with you guys the voltages of my circuit.

By the way, I made my pcb from the sketch tca published. Used glossy paper and the transfer was great. All the tracks are functioning.

Regards,
Sergio

tca

Quote from: S_DANILO on September 22, 2013, 04:01:24 PM
Hello everybody! Newbie needing help!

I've chosen the Punch Amp to be my first DIY project, and I actually think I was successful since I had never used a soldering iron before, but the thing is the amp is not working (as expected from a newbie!)...
What is the chip that you are using TDA7052 or TDA7052A?