**The DIYStompboxes 10-Year Anniversary Contest Thread**

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

I like these contests.. perhaps we could do an FX-X like contest too. Where circuit design is required

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 12, 2013, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 12, 2013, 09:32:16 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on September 11, 2013, 09:14:03 PM
BTW-In order to keep this thread pure of negative, upset, pissed off posts about the 1000 Competition, please direct any negative, upset, pissed off posts to the 1000 Competition thread. ;)

Please refer to this comment. Which is why I made MY comment...

Quote from: jkokura on September 12, 2013, 12:32:48 AM
Also agreed. Also, happy anniversary Urs! I think it would be awesome to plan for another Contest to finish next summer (not that it has to be the next one) just to keep a tradition of a yearly/annual contest!

And because it's only polite, I'm also volunteering to be a part of the planning and executing team making the next contest happen. I'll happily take applications for that. Anyone who wants in, I think my limit will be 2 plus me on making it happen/arranging for judges.

Jacob

I was talking to the guy who made the comment I quoted and posted something snarky right before my post, not you. :( ???
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Haddock

1+ Fantastic Idea .... just kiding  ;D

Gentleman,

i am so impressed from you! What a great Forum! Thank you so mutch, i'm very very lucky about this price.

Thank you all!!!

Greetings
Urs

Jdansti

Quote from: midwayfair on September 12, 2013, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 12, 2013, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 12, 2013, 09:32:16 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on September 11, 2013, 09:14:03 PM
BTW-In order to keep this thread pure of negative, upset, pissed off posts about the 1000 Competition, please direct any negative, upset, pissed off posts to the 1000 Competition thread. ;)

Please refer to this comment. Which is why I made MY comment...

Quote from: jkokura on September 12, 2013, 12:32:48 AM
Also agreed. Also, happy anniversary Urs! I think it would be awesome to plan for another Contest to finish next summer (not that it has to be the next one) just to keep a tradition of a yearly/annual contest!

And because it's only polite, I'm also volunteering to be a part of the planning and executing team making the next contest happen. I'll happily take applications for that. Anyone who wants in, I think my limit will be 2 plus me on making it happen/arranging for judges.

Jacob

I was talking to the guy who made the comment I quoted and posted something snarky right before my post, not you. :( ???

Oops!  Was I being a negative hypocrit?  :icon_redface:

Or hypocrite?  :icon_redface: :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Liquitone

I have already posted this in the OT/Lounge but I feel it is appropriate to post it here as well, to show my gratitude to everyone involved.

I would like to start off with congratulating all the other contestants, truly great builds all around!
And a big thanks to the judges for organizing this contest and for coming back with the results so quickly, I think the judges did a great job running this contest as smoothly as it did.
and thanks as well for the people who brought in the prizes. The lentil soup is impossible to beat, but all the prizes where great!, it was really hard to pick one.
And thanks to Aron for making this forum possible.
I just realized the prize I chose has the work of 3 forum-legends combined and it will probably never ever leave my pedal-board.

I'm really humbled by winning the 1st place in this contest, I would have never imagined getting to where I am now when I started building pedals 5 years ago.
Without this forum, FSB and Geofex I would have never gotten this far, or might not have even started building pedals at all. It has only been for the last 2 years or so, that I feel I found my own style and that I consider my builds solid tools that are unique enough to compete with all the other pedals out there. I have been working on this idea of starting my own pedal company for quite some time now, and winning this contest is a huge confidence boost to this process.
I haven't contributed much over the years, I still sometimes feel inadequate due to my lack of knowledge of electrical engineering, but as I learn more and more I will try to contribute more and help others the way they have helped me this far.

When I have triple-checked and have corrected possible mistakes in my project files I will make a topic to give back to the community.

Thanks all!!

Cheers, Kay/Liquitone

gcme93

Quote from: ~arph on September 12, 2013, 10:41:06 AM
I like these contests.. perhaps we could do an FX-X like contest too. Where circuit design is required

This idea gets me really excited for new pedal designs! I can imagine it would be very tricky to regulate and would rely a lot on honesty for where people have borrowed ideas and parts of design, but that has the makings of an awesome competition. It might be tricky in terms of enough people being confident enough to get stuck in also, especially the younger people like myself who have much less expertise (my course has only had half a year of circuit topics so far), but I guess there could be scope for much simpler but well thought through ideas, like the tiny tremolo, or a hybrid pedal from other designs which is cleverly constructed as examples.

As for this competition, I think this has been a really great thing for the forum. A good response of course, but the most impressive thing is the generosity, kindness and effort put in by all involved. May there be many more competitions large and small to come!
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

samhay

Quote from: ~arph on September 12, 2013, 10:41:06 AM

I like this idea too. The FX-X comp only required, if I recall correctly,  schematic and a sound clip - i.e. no build. This suits me, as I never seem to be able to get builds finished, but is a rather different kind of 'competition'.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Vallhagen

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

samhay

Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Vallhagen

Quote from: samhay on September 14, 2013, 03:56:43 PM
Quote from: Vallhagen on September 14, 2013, 02:54:25 PM
I have to ask the stupid question: What is FX-X?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=31.0

So, if i get this right, its all about Circuit design? I get a theme (ie "fuzz" or "wah"), do my own design, which i "only" have to breadboard and record a soundclip? Thats pretty cool too. All focus on useability.

Cheers

~arph

Yes, with a simple theme each time. Like, design a circuit that uses less than ten parts.  I believe in the end fx x stopped because of two reasons. One being lack of interest and the second the business of the tone god picking up.

It will be hard to judge I guess.

deadastronaut

ok i'm in, , 1 x  100kA pot...done. ;)   ''super control volume  pedal''

I win.. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

Come on Rob, what about the 2 jacks if this is a pedal?  That's 3 by my counting....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

garcho

I got a 1 part count pedal for you:

LPF-1 'the Henry'. It's just a cable.

My cables get stomped on enough to be considered pedals, anyway.

I'm here all week ladies and gentlemen...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

samhay

Quote from: ~arph on September 15, 2013, 03:51:10 AM
It will be hard to judge I guess.

If we want to go down that route, it might be best to keep it a bit more low-key. No entry fee or prizes etc (except bragging rights) and perhaps several months per 'theme'.
That way, we can still have an annual(ish) comp, where all the stops come out.

Jdansti

It would be nice to have some contests for new designs and no points for looks. You could even enter breadboard builds.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Jdansti on September 16, 2013, 02:53:36 PM
It would be nice to have some contests for new designs and no points for looks. You could even enter breadboard builds.

The "Rock Out with NO Box Out" contest.  :icon_lol:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

garcho

QuoteYou could even enter breadboard builds.

OMG, I've breadboarded so many circuits I've never built. If I did, I'd need a warehouse to store them all. It blows me away some builders here don't breadboard, for me, that's the funnest part! Right now I have a Ultra Flanger, Q&D VCF, reverb driver, TAPLFO, and filter/fuzz I'm working on. Nothing in an enclosure on the horizon. Spread yer brain/time too thin and nothing gets built    :P
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"