FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on November 26, 2013, 03:02:11 AM

Sweet! Thanks.

btw, I usually use a non-permanent marker to make the drill markings - it stays on until you wipe with a damp cloth..

Good tip about the marker , cheers.

If you are using wired pots instead of the long legged right angle pots, then you can alter the placement to suit your preference. Also find a suitable place for the PSU jack (left to the footswitch seem the most convenient.)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 21, 2013, 05:17:32 AM

The reverse polarity protection can be made up in 3 different ways if anyone prefers the diode type of reverse polarity protection.

1. Full mosfet low voltage drop protection (using the IRDF9024)
2. Standard diode to ground.
3. Diode in series.

I will post the pictures of all three ways as soon as I can.

Hi Mick,

so, if I go with D1, then I don't need the IRDF9024 (and vice-versa)?

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on December 01, 2013, 03:52:05 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on October 21, 2013, 05:17:32 AM

The reverse polarity protection can be made up in 3 different ways if anyone prefers the diode type of reverse polarity protection.

1. Full mosfet low voltage drop protection (using the IRDF9024)
2. Standard diode to ground.
3. Diode in series.

I will post the pictures of all three ways as soon as I can.

Hi Mick,

so, if I go with D1, then I don't need the IRDF9024 (and vice-versa)?

NOT QUITE.

I will try and upload some instructions and pictures of the 3 types to make it clear as soon as I can.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Ice-9

Here are some pictures and descriptions on how to use alternative polarity protection if anyone prefers this over the better mosfet design that the pcb is designed for.

All three types of protection are usable and the two diode types are what you will find in nearly every pedal design.

I have used a mosfet/zenner diode combination for polarity protection as standard, in the first picture you should notice all the components to the PSU section are fitted as they are marked on the PCB. Also note that D1 is a 10v zenner diode BZX55C 10v and not a small signal diode.

If you want to omit IRDF9024 and just have a diode to ground type protection then do the following

Solder a wire link/jumper in place of R1.
Solder a wire link from 'Drain' to 'Source' in place of TR1.
Fit a 1N4001 in TR1 position. ('Drain to gate' with diode stripe towards drain).
Leave D1 empty.
Fit R2 as normal.

If you want to omit IRDF9024 and use series diode protection then do the following

Leave R1 empty.
Leave D1 empty.
Fit 1N4001 diode in TR1 position 'Drain' to 'Source'. (diode stripe towards Source).
Fit R2 as normal.

For the 1N4001 you can substitute it for a schottky diode if preferred.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Just doing up a mockup of my box artwork - Mick are you able to show me where the 1-8 selector positions are? e.g., are they evening spaced out around the pot so I can mark them for an etch? (as I have't finished soldering it up yet to test it)
cheers.

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on December 20, 2013, 02:36:46 PM
Just doing up a mockup of my box artwork - Mick are you able to show me where the 1-8 selector positions are? e.g., are they evening spaced out around the pot so I can mark them for an etch? (as I have't finished soldering it up yet to test it)
cheers.

The scale for the pot control 1-8 positions is a bit tricky to work out as it is more of a between position setting. I don't know if you have seen my other posts about using an 8 position selector switch  which is available very cheaply from Musikding at 1.90 euro, it is a much improved setup. The switch operates on a 210 degree rotation from 1 to 8 which I can send a scale to you for. The switch can go on a little piece of vero board with some resistors soldered to it, if you get the switch I could put a little pcb  in the post for you ready for the switch to be soldered  if you have trouble with the veroboard idea.

The switch and resistor assembly directly replaces the potentiometer wire for wire.

link to the correct switch
http://www.musikding.de/Print-rotary-switch-1P8T
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

haha... clearly I did see it.. because I notice that I commented at the time!  :icon_redface:  Did you end up getting a through hole version, or is it time for me to try my hand at surface mount resistors?

Ice-9

I can etch you a little pcb and solder on the SMD resistors. I'm etching some in a day or two so if you can wait for the Christmas postage delays then I'm happy to put one in the post to you FOC.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on December 20, 2013, 03:43:27 PM
I can etch you a little pcb and solder on the SMD resistors. I'm etching some in a day or two so if you can wait for the Christmas postage delays then I'm happy to put one in the post to you FOC.

Thanks! Have PM'd. Could you please send the scale through too when you get a chance? Thanks so much for your help - I'm really looking forward to getting this built!

ecca

Has anyone found a decent right angle PCB mount BCD switch ?
Belton do one but I can't find a supplier in the UK.
Cheers
Ecca

Ice-9

Quote from: ecca on December 23, 2013, 03:26:06 AM
Has anyone found a decent right angle PCB mount BCD switch ?
Belton do one but I can't find a supplier in the UK.
Cheers
Ecca

I have tried to source the Belton switch throughout Europe but can't get anyone who stocks the other variants of Belton to order the version suitable for the FV-1. I had a discussion with Profusion who sell the FV-1 and Belton switches but they also said they had no intention of stocking it in the near future.

Look at page 6 and you will see that I have used a 1P8T switch with a resistor network to control the PIC chip for BCD. The same switch could be used with a diode network to output BCD directly.

The UK sucks for parts, I can't even get alpha 9mm pots or 16mm right angle long legged pots in the UK. I end up paying stupid prices to USA (delivery and import duty) :(

Mick
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ice-9

Quote from: MetalGuy on December 23, 2013, 04:33:53 PM
You don't need to buy pots from US. Germany is closer:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha/

http://www.banzaimusic.com/PC-Mount-Vertical/

Thanks for the links , I have bought from banzai before and although there just in Germany , 1st problem is they don't sell the long legged 16mm pots, second problem is they don't sell or I can't find the 9mm pots I want and there more expensive on lots of things  and I have had problems with delivery taking 3 and 4 weeks sometimes. It has been a long time since I bought from them so they may have fixed the delivery times or I was just unlucky.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on December 23, 2013, 05:34:56 PM
If you're getting the rotary switch send from Musikding anyway: http://www.musikding.de/Alpha-Pots-16mm-angled-pcb

Again those pots only have short legs, I have not been able to source the long legged ones anywhere in Europe (yet).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on December 23, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
If you're getting the rotary switch send from Musikding anyway: http://www.musikding.de/Alpha-Pots-16mm-angled-pcb

Again those pots only have short legs, I have not been able to source the long legged ones anywhere in Europe (yet).

oh... I didn't realise there were longer ones... I guess I'll soon find out if these will do the job!! :D

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on December 23, 2013, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: Ice-9 on December 23, 2013, 07:01:25 PM

oh... I didn't realise there were longer ones... I guess I'll soon find out if these will do the job!! :D

Its no matter as you could always fit regular solder lug pots or modify the ones you have by soldering on some single core hard wire to extend them (or leftover resistor leads). With the long leg pcb mount pots I found the best place for the PSU jack is on the left side of the Footswitch.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Athos

Hey all,

Well I am finally ready to box this up but thought I would take a few pictures of the build!

Nice pedal and sounds great. I cant wait to get to programming.

The board is a very nice design!!

A

therealfindo

Quote from: Athos on December 30, 2013, 08:29:13 PM
Hey all,

Well I am finally ready to box this up but thought I would take a few pictures of the build!

Nice pedal and sounds great. I cant wait to get to programming.

The board is a very nice design!!

A

No LED ?

I'm just waiting on a few bits before I'm done..

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Athos on December 30, 2013, 08:29:13 PM

Athos,

You might want to look at where you drilled your hole for the DC power jack. Doesn't look like its on the right side bro!  :-\

EDIT: Nevermind.... I see you are wiring it in  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'