Small circuits for 1590a platform with battery

Started by mfunky, June 13, 2015, 02:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfunky

I've build an AMZ Mini Boost in a 1590a including a battery. This was done by using smaller components (pot, switch, jacks) and a specific position of these. See here:http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64752.1980. I also included a drill template (constructing this was the hardest part) - I think, that this layout could be used for other (basic) circuits as well. Circuits that qualify are:

• Maximum Size on a vero: 12x10 (vero is not a must, pcbs will work as well - 3cm x 2,7cm
  • Maximum number of pots: 2 (probably more, if we move pots to the sides as well)

The one-knob-fuzz will easily fit in there, but I am wondering: Are there any other circuits (compressor, overdrive,...) that would fit in there? First one to come up with a chorus, delay or reverb will be a hero  :) :) :)

Test Run:

Wired up:

Cozybuilder

Nice squeezing to fit the battery in a 1590A. Are those Lumberg jacks? I like their placement. There is still room to work with though. For instance, you could save some room by relocating the 9v jack, use an "outie" rather than an "innie", mount circuit cards on the pots, consider a way to use the space above the IO jacks (such as a circuit card on standoffs holding short components), and stack two cards in the large cavity between the jacks, 3PDT, and battery. I think you could squeeze 3 pots with room for knobs, maybe a toggle too. You'd be surprised how much less room 26 AWG wire uses than 22 AWG.

FYI- I've completed a fair amount of distortions, Delay, Reverb, Phaser, Compressors, Envelope Filter, and Chorus builds in the 1590LB; and distortions, reverb, chorus, and compressor in the 1590A (Chasm Reverb, Little Angel NYE, and Engineer's Thumb). However, my builds are on perf, not PCB, so these may not be very interesting to you. I hadn't really considered using a battery in a 1590A, its just not something I use.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

mfunky

Quote from: Cozybuilder on June 13, 2015, 03:03:44 AM
Nice squeezing to fit the battery in a 1590A. Are those Lumberg jacks?
Yes - these: http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?cPath=50_22_24_299&products_id=1218&osCsid=a651b0e2b971c85f120d3f9447fa23f2
These are awesome, as they do not turn, when you tighten them due to their almost square footprint. And they are very small!

Quote from: Cozybuilder on June 13, 2015, 03:03:44 AM
I like their placement. There is still room to work with though. For instance, you could save some room by relocating the 9v jack, use an "outie" rather than an "innie", mount circuit cards on the pots, consider a way to use the space above the IO jacks (such as a circuit card on standoffs holding short components), and stack two cards in the large cavity between the jacks, 3PDT, and battery. I think you could squeeze 3 pots with room for knobs, maybe a toggle too. You'd be surprised how much less room 26 AWG wire uses than 22 AWG.

FYI- I've completed a fair amount of distortions, Delay, Reverb, Phaser, Compressors, Envelope Filter, and Chorus builds in the 1590LB; and distortions, reverb, chorus, and compressor in the 1590A (Chasm Reverb, Little Angel NYE, and Engineer's Thumb). However, my builds are on perf, not PCB, so these may not be very interesting to you. I hadn't really considered using a battery in a 1590A, its just not something I use.

Thanks - I actually ordered "innies", these were delivered wrong :-(. They do have these "snap in" jacks as well, but they don't work with batteries (no switch). Where would you move the DC jack?

I will use perf on the pots, that's an excellent idea. And yes, I AM interested in perf builds, so, if they are small enough, let's see!

blackieNYC

Very nice. I went a different route with a couple 1590A boxes. No mounted 1/4" jacks - I've attached cables for in and out to the circuit, passing them through a rubber grommet. A FET preamp that hangs tucked in to the guitar strap or velcroed. A Ge boost (with volume pot) that sits on the pedalboard.  Both have 9v batteries, one has a power jack, and both use a female 1/4" stereo jack to disconnect the battery when not in use. And some kind of strain relief should be employed, like soldering the two cable shields together right inside the box.  The cables can't be pulled out.
Sick 1590A builds like cozy's can be found in the Pictures forum.  Maybe you're one of "those" guys. Not a lot of batteries in there though.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Cozybuilder

Rather than me using up a lot of space posting photos, heres a link to my photobucket page: http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/russrutledge/library/?sort=4&page=1

Small components only: ⅛ Watt Rs, 9mm Alpha pots with the 2 PC mount clips, tantalum caps where possible (bypass to ground), DPDT footswitch and Millennium Bypass, and caps with leads spanning 2.54mm where you can- more costly, but you gain valuable real estate. In stuffing a box, I tend to think in terms of depth, and start with where can I fit the necessary utility bits first- the jacks, switches, pots, and in this case the battery. My approach on this is to see how many controls I could fit: I would move the 9V jack close to the footswitch, mounted as low as possible, with a pot or two (or pot & toggle) between it and the out jack, hugging the wall. Then a pot or two (or pot & toggle) at the top of the pedal, between the screw bosses, hugging the top side. 0.5" between holes is still usable with Davies 1900 knobs on pots (barely) or more with a subminiature toggle, 0.24" from the edge is max, 0.22" is doable (outside measurements) and will maximize the usable space. Use your dremel to relieve the wall slightly if needed, theres plenty of thickness to use the hole locations I gave. I use a tiny drill (about .02") in a press and accurately mark the hole locations, and mount the box securely in a vise- after careful centering I bolt it down, double check- theres no room for slop here. Mount the input jack as close as possible to the pot, then the out jack, now you can make a perf card to fit the space available, or get the dimensions needed for a PC card. You could place short components on it, then mount a second card on top of that and span across the jacks, also using short components. The space between the battery and far side can be used for a card mounting the tall components. That card is mounted on the 2 controls there (pots or pot & toggle). There should be room to fit the LED between the screw bosses below the battery. Anyhow, thats where I would start if I wanted to maximize the card space and controls with an onboard battery.

mfunky

Woo...excelent... I have to draw it, though :-)
Any recommendations for a nice overdrive or even some modulation or delay schematics that might fit?

Cozybuilder

This thing is starting to intrigue me. I think Ray Ring's delay would fit in this. And that is a fine sounding delay! Just about any overdrive or distortion, with a few exceptions.

What I do is fit all the hardware in the box, make the perf boards, then design the layout to fit whatever space is available. If you looked at the 1590LB builds you can see how the complexity increased as I learned how to fit ever increasing board sizes. The same principle here- I see the possibility of 3 smaller boards (2 on top of pots/toggles, one on the stomp switch), and one larger board (above the I/O jacks). Potentially a 5th board- stacking 2 in the side space by the battery. I think in terms of little boxes that will stack in the big box, if that helps visualizing. And I use 26 AWG Teflon coated solid core- you could even use 30 AWG wire-wrap for the perf boards.

mfunky

Quote from: Cozybuilder on June 13, 2015, 08:54:32 AM
Rather than me using up a lot of space posting photos, heres a link to my photobucket page: http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/russrutledge/library/?sort=4&page=1

Just went through those, I am impressed! How do you like the "really cheap compressor" or the "OMG Fuzz"? Those seem to be good candidates for my next projects...

Cozybuilder

Thank you. I love the Really Cheap Compressor- but then I love the Bearhug and Engineer's Thumb too. I had a lot of fun working on the OMG Fuzz project with Michael "Whiskey-Made-Me-Do-It", it has a good crunch, and lots of tonal variety. There are some further developments that Michael has been working on, hopefully he'll post.

There are so many fantastic pedals that have been developed by the guys on this forum, its really difficult to pick just one. In fact, theres no need, just make a list and keep updating it as new ones grab your interest. I'm always working on something, have 3 in various stages on the workbench right now, 3 others on breadboards, and about a dozen on the "next build" list. I'll be happy to help you out with whichever you choose.

mfunky

Thanks to everyone! Especially RG: like everyone here, I am a big fan of your contributions and have read many of your "technology of..." Publications. Just recently, I built a perfect wah, which would not have been possible without these!

mfunky

Second build based on the platform....axis fuzz

mfunky

Vero, BOM, Drill Template. Not shown: 100uF cap for DC stabilization, directly soldered to the DC jack...

italianguy63

You can pick up a little bit more room using this jack:

Do a search on "DC022-B"

I don't know what is wrong with me as late-- working on a tiny project in a 1590A and a huge one in a 1590XX.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Cozybuilder

Its smaller, but you will not be disconnecting the battery when you plug in external power.

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

mfunky

I made another one :-)

Zendrive-clones have become my favorite drives - cant help it, simply love the compressed, smooth, pick-sensitive sound that works on almost any (tube) amp. So I thought, it would be nice to always have one in my guitar bag. I am a big fan of battery powered pedals (not complicated to set up for some quick jam, works as a backup, when the power supply fails or gets lost). So, the challenge was to get four pots, jacks, power jack, stomp, LED, perfboard etc in a 1590a. It works, as I came up with a design that has all the flat components where the power jack is. I ordered a custom made printed circuit board though, as the perf version is somehow not reliable (some occasional short somewhere, although the battery is covered with electric tape  ;)...). The layout is etched with NaOH and came out really nice. Still missing knobs, max 12 mm diameter, any recommendations?

Cozybuilder

Quote from: mfunky on November 17, 2015, 05:38:59 AM
I made another one :-)
Still missing knobs, max 12 mm diameter, any recommendations?

Very nice- you win.
Assuming you want some quality knobs, these are a little pricey, but have become my favorite small base knob:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/aluminum-flat-top/

And these are a little better price point, I think both look good, you might like them:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/aluminum-black-knurled/

mfunky

Thanks - they look great, but are still a bit too big (12.7 mm at the skirt)...