The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveLT

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 21, 2019, 05:57:58 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2019, 05:18:16 PM
Someone needs to build a pedal with a door knob, right?  :icon_wink:

I've always wanted to get one of those massive mad scientist style switches and throw one on a pedal.

I suppose you can bend some copper if you can't find one  :P

Paul Marossy

Quote from: EBK on February 20, 2019, 05:20:00 PM
Idea:  How about a pedal with aesthetics and construction inspired by one of these?

That would be cool ha ha.

I had one of those when I was about 12-13 when I didn't really have an interest in electronics. That didn't happen until I was about 34 years old.

DaveLT

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 21, 2019, 06:29:58 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 20, 2019, 05:20:00 PM
Idea:  How about a pedal with aesthetics and construction inspired by one of these?

That would be cool ha ha.

I had one of those when I was about 12-13 when I didn't really have an interest in electronics. That didn't happen until I was about 34 years old.
Yikes! My dad got me playing with electronics ever since I was a lil' kitten but I didn't really until back in 2010 when I stumbled onto diy pedals as I was getting into guitars back then

Paul Marossy

Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 06:33:30 PM

Yikes! My dad got me playing with electronics ever since I was a lil' kitten but I didn't really until back in 2010 when I stumbled onto diy pedals as I was getting into guitars back then

My DIY guitar stuff didn't happen until 2001, when I wanted to build a Freddie Fuzz clone because Scott Henderson used one and I liked his sound. I got it working the day my daughter was born, Oct. 20. Ever since then I've been messing with one thing or another except for a couple of years when I was going thru death of my parents, etc.

I didn't start playing guitar until I was 20 years old, taught myself that as well as this electronics stuff. I learned enough to be dangerous, I'm certainly not any kind of guru.

EBK

Idea (a very rough beginning of an idea, anyway):
If I remember correctly, this water cup effect in Jurassic Park was made using a guitar string attached to the underside of the car dashboard. 

Could such a water ripple be used to control some sort of guitar effect, thus bringing the movie effect full circle?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

DaveLT

Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2019, 06:59:02 PM
Idea (a very rough beginning of an idea, anyway):
If I remember correctly, this water cup effect in Jurassic Park was made using a guitar string attached to the underside of the car dashboard. 

Could such a water ripple be used to control some sort of guitar effect, thus bringing the movie effect full circle?
Thinking more of a reverb tank only its using water ripple with some kind of vibration transducer attached to the bottom of the tank and a vibration sensor in the half full water tank yada yada use it as a reverb tank  :icon_mrgreen:

phasetrans

I've been meaning to tweak this in spice, build, and tweak further for several months now. Maybe someone can beat me to the punch and see how it turns out:

• SUPPORTER

rockola

Quote from: patrick398 on February 21, 2019, 06:48:20 AM
Could be fun to implement one of those record/playback modules and have pre-recorded swear words inserted into the signal path at sporadic intervals.

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 06:10:55 PM

I've always wanted to get one of those massive mad scientist style switches and throw one on a pedal.

I'm afraid you're too late ;)

https://www.raingerfx.com/product/dr-freakenstein-fuzz-drff-3-and-igor/

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

DaveLT

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on February 22, 2019, 03:40:00 AM
Quote from: DaveLT on February 21, 2019, 06:10:55 PM

I'm afraid you're too late ;)

https://www.raingerfx.com/product/dr-freakenstein-fuzz-drff-3-and-igor/

Gad damn it's actually been done

duck_arse

(I love this thread already.   :icon_lol:)

you'd need to say "I didn't think you were serious" first .....
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on February 22, 2019, 08:41:44 AM
you'd need to say "I didn't think you were serious" first .....
I'm always Serious when it comes to Rock and Roll!

(This post is not intended to be a dig against you or any other Australians, by the way).
  • SUPPORTER

Prehistoricman

Quote from: Prehistoricman on February 21, 2019, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2019, 11:49:56 AM
Idea:  An op amp circuit that saturates with modulated power rail voltages.  (I suppose it doesn't have to be an op amp, but it was an op amp datasheet that sparked the idea.)

I did exactly this with a slightly warped definition of modulation...
Basically connected a resistor to the power supply of an MXR micro amp (modded for extra gain). Classic "dead battery" circuit.
As the output changes, the circuit uses more power and therefore the opamp's supply changes with respect to the output signal. Just on the verge of oscillation you can get an octave down effect!

I could make a demo...

bean

You know where I'm going with this, right?

EBK

Quote from: bean on February 22, 2019, 10:10:10 AM
You know where I'm going with this, right?

Powering a pedal with a potato battery?

An envelope controlled potato cannon trigger?

A tube amplifier toaster oven (the reverse has been done before)?

A potato as a pedal enclosure?

Making ink stamps out of cut potatoes and stamping some enclosures with them?

Frequency, moisture content, and temperature dependent dielectric properties of potato starch related to drying with radio-frequency/microwave energy?
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Another artsy idea: 

I'd like to see a circuit built to look like it is just parts stuck into a pin cushion, with the actual wiring between the parts being cleverly hidden inside the cushion.
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Quote from: EBK on February 22, 2019, 10:53:27 AM
Another artsy idea: 

I'd like to see a circuit built to look like it is just parts stuck into a pin cushion, with the actual wiring between the parts being cleverly hidden inside the cushion.

Reminds me of this one: https://www.instructables.com/id/Crystal-cMoy-Free-Form-Headphone-Amplifier/

Rob Strand

Quote(This post is not intended to be a dig against you or any other Australians, by the way).
That guy isn't representative of the average Australian - most of us use normal looking guitars.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

:icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER