The Please Steal My Idea Thread

Started by EBK, February 20, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on February 27, 2019, 08:27:19 AM
I was going to do some of these - but I couldn't find the parts.

I've got some spare air parts I can send you?  By airmail of course...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Joncaster

I want to do a Big Muff in dead bug style and call it Bug Muff.
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

amptramp

I would like to see a cavity resonator drum.

Using the usual dimensions of a drum, this would be an oscillator in the VHF or UHF frequency band.  You would have an envelope detector for each resonant frequency (a drum has resonances that are Bessel functions of the zeroth order) and a divider that would bring the frequencies down from the order of a hundred MHz to the audio band.  The resultant frequencies would be multiplied by the envelope and you would recover a drum sound, all without the need for a microphone, avoiding the direct feed of ambient sound (except as it affects the drum skin).  The drum would have a conductive layer on the sides and conductive film on the skin.

To get a snare drum, the snare could be laid beside a rigid conductor and charged to a high voltage.  The movement of the snare would induce a voltage based on V dC/dt.  In this case, the varying capacitance is what induces the voltage.

EBK

If anyone feels the insane need to build something like my Chia Pedal, I think a MossFET distortion pedal would be pretty cool.   :icon_cool:
Probably easier to build and maintain too.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

Quote from: EBK on March 01, 2019, 07:02:00 AM
If anyone feels the insane need to build something like my Chia Pedal, I think a MossFET distortion pedal would be pretty cool.   :icon_cool:
Probably easier to build and maintain too.

boom-tish, as BB would say.

I heard say that Keef refuses to use mosfet based pedals.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

patrick398

I always wanted to find some way of fusing the sound of my guitar with the sound of a dial up modem, think it would sound pretty far out but i lack the computer know how

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: patrick398 on March 01, 2019, 09:29:57 AM
I always wanted to find some way of fusing the sound of my guitar with the sound of a dial up modem, think it would sound pretty far out but i lack the computer know how
So a type of sample/hold that makes your ears bleed?

Call it The Beat Box. Everyone will think it's broken and just pound the hell out of it. Misleading or right on the money?  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

Kevin Mitchell

Wait a minute. What about a sample/hold where the phase threshold can be dialed via foot controller? Is this a thing yet?
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

EBK

• SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Quote from: EBK on March 01, 2019, 11:14:15 AM
Nah. Call it Purple Hayes!

Only the chosen ones will understand! I like it!

amptramp

You can get photosensitized circuit boards that you expose with the pattern you want.  Why not enclosures?  You take it to your dark room, set up the etch pattern you want on a projector, expose the box and drop it in the etch chemicals.  No toner, no transfer, no repurposed steam iron, just an enclosure that you drop in acid when you are satisfied with the image.  Someone on this site with photography equipment should try this.

DaveLT

Quote from: amptramp on March 01, 2019, 06:03:33 PM
You can get photosensitized circuit boards that you expose with the pattern you want.  Why not enclosures?  You take it to your dark room, set up the etch pattern you want on a projector, expose the box and drop it in the etch chemicals.  No toner, no transfer, no repurposed steam iron, just an enclosure that you drop in acid when you are satisfied with the image.  Someone on this site with photography equipment should try this.
Photography equipment... in the 80s perhaps

amptramp

Quote from: DaveLT on March 01, 2019, 07:55:59 PM

Photography equipment is a flea market / antique store / estate sale item now.  Or you could use a projection display showing a jpeg of the image you want to see on the enclosure.

EBK

You could perhaps print an image onto clear film and use that as a photomask as well.  I think I've seen silk screening setups created like this (but it was many years ago, so the details are hazy).
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Instead of using etching to decorate enclosures, there are miniature sandblasting guns used to etch glass.  Some enterprising individual will start using this to manufacture enclosures using rubber or vinyl templates.  Need more etch depth?  Just press the trigger a little longer.  Need bas relief?  These things do that.

duck_arse

Quote from: marcelomd on March 01, 2019, 11:34:36 AM
Quote from: EBK on March 01, 2019, 11:14:15 AM
Nah. Call it Purple Hayes!

Only the chosen ones will understand! I like it!

I'm bored with these gags.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

anotherjim

The Pentacle of Infinity.
It's x5 PT2399's arranged at the 5 points of a pentagon star. Reading clockwise, each delay inputs the angle from the left and outputs to the right. One delay is chosen for signal input mix, and another (could be the same one) for output mix. The audio will travel through all 5 in turn and back again endlessly. Arrange path in anticlockwise direction for Death Metal.

EBK

I'd like to see a pedal with lots of knobs and switches, each labeled, "I am Groot".
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Quote from: DaveLT on March 01, 2019, 07:55:59 PM

I shoved most of a pro darkroom into my attic 20 years ago. It's still there and, the older I get, the heavier it seems to be so it'll stay there. My wife says that if I put anything else up there, the house will be so top heavy it'll turn over in a light wind.

There is electric up there and it's pretty dark.. Might be worth a play
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

highwater

Quote from: EBK on March 01, 2019, 09:28:29 PM
You could perhaps print an image onto clear film and use that as a photomask as well.  I think I've seen silk screening setups created like this (but it was many years ago, so the details are hazy).

You'd probably *have* to do it that way... photoresist (like this) requires UV light, which would require an enlarger lens FAR more expensive than, say, a laser-etching setup.

(edit) It's probably also easier that way... enclosures are neither big-enough nor small-enough to be worth mucking-around with an enlarger, even if any old lens would do.

I'm not sure if that photoresist is burly enough for enclosures, but it's certainly worth a try.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR