News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Free samples

Started by smoguzbenjamin, February 20, 2004, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Hey all

I sent an email to national semiconductor asking about wether or not I could get free samples of ICs, as I am still in school and don't have a job. I got this email back:

Quote from: National SemiconductorDear Mr. Allen,

Thank you for your interest in National Semiconductor.

Unfortunately we are unable to send samples to individuals.

Please purchase your requirements through one of our authorised
distributors, for a list of these within Europe please go to
http://www.national.com/contacts/Continent/0,1594,Europe,00.html .

We generally recommend Farnell as a distributor for small quantities
(www.farnell.com).

If you are a student in the UK then you may purchase your requirements from
the following website -
http://onecall.farnell.com
Parts ordered through the above site will be delivered next day and the
prices for them are negotiated by NUWPEC ( UK Government Agency)
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Ulrike Mayer

National Semiconductor
The European Customer Response Centre
English :       +44 (0) 870 2402171
Deutsch:       +49 (0) 69 95086208
Francais:       +33 (0) 1 41918790
Europe Fax:   +49 (0) 1756 702889

E-mail:    europe.support@nsc.com
Internet:   www.national.com  

What a pain. What should I do, apply for samples using my father-in-law's camping website, which is registered as a company? Or should I give up my hopes of free ICs and maybe get some with the risk of me not liking them? :? Because the IC I want to try out, the LM3886, costs 6 euros or so and I don't have the cash to spend 6 euros on a bad IC. I was thinking of building a 50W SS amp to keep me entertained, it will at least be better than my 10W practice amp. And since the 3886 can deliver 50W at +/- 35v I thought it'd be great. But what if it sucks?

Any suggestions? :|
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Nasse

:lol: Dont afraid, it wont suck
  • SUPPORTER

smoguzbenjamin

Have you used one? Anyone with experiences with this IC?

Nasse

Yes, I have a homemade power amp made with LM3886. I used 2x22 V toroidal transformer that is capable for stereo, 35 amps bridge rectifier and 2x 10 000 uF 63 V smoothing caps.

:oops: The enclosure needs some work, eh... :oops:

Speaker plop suppressing at power on and down, all kind of thermal and other dont remember protecting and low noise and good specs, and cheapish and few components and small size.

But it is a clean solid state amp, of course. And dunno is it really happy with anything than 8 ohms speakers...
  • SUPPORTER

AL

Try Texas Instruments.  http://ti.com/

I'm not sure about Europe (I'm in the US) but I just recieved some Burr Brown op-amps for free.  I'm not sure if they have the exact chip you're looking for but they may have something comparable. It's worth a shot and for my company I typed in personal or individual or something along those lines.  Good luck.

AL

smoguzbenjamin

I can't find any power amp IC above 2W. Damn the national semiconductor chip looked great. I plan on using an 8ohm cab with it, so. But anyway maybe I'll risk it and try just buying the chip.

R.G.

The LM3886 is only $5.00. That's less than the cost of equivalent power transistors alone.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm that's true. Five bucks at current rates = â,¬3,93, that ain't bad! I hope the local guy has them :lol:

Arn C.

Smoguzbenjamin  wrote
QuoteBecause the IC I want to try out, the LM3886,
I have one I will send to you today!!!
Peace!
Arn

smoguzbenjamin

Arn C.

You are welcome!!!!
Arn C.

spongebob

The chipamp will cause only a small fraction of your costs when building an amplifier, you will spend a lot more money on the power supply (transformer plus some big caps), the enclosure, heatsink, pots and knobs, etc...

smoguzbenjamin

Very true. But I have some 2nd hand scavenged parts here. I have a heatsink here, which is basically a plate of metal, but it was being used as a heatsink in the keyboard amp it came from. I also have an enclosure but I don't know if it'll be right for me. The power transformer will cost me not a lot, since there's a local amp building man who has a shop here, he can get me 2nd hand transformers for cheap. I have a few caps, and yes the pots will cost me a fortune ;) But any money saved is money to make your amp more fancy and cool, right? ;)

I'll definately post pics of my build guys! :D 8)

Ansil

you have to have a dedicated email like belllsouth or yourname at something .com
for national semiconductor to take you seriously.

then afeter you register with them it will ask when you request samples what they are intended for.

if you need any thing in the future ben dont' hesistate to ask i do a sample order at least once a week.

this week it was as many as they will send me

3886  386n-4   384's  380's and 555's

you can only have five orders per week.  lol

i think i got like 10 of each or so.

smoguzbenjamin

So if I had an email adress at a different provider they'd be OK? Sweet. Do they allow yahoo accounts or not, because then all I need do is open a yahoo account :mrgreen:

Chris R

i think he means that you need an email like @someWellKnownCompany.com

C

smoguzbenjamin

True.... howabout @nl.abb.com? ;) My 'father-in-law' works for an engineering company, you know building gas refineries and stuff. If he'll let me I could get samples through him :mrgreen:

Ansil

no not yahoo accounts i had that problem before.. so i used my other one that was so graciosuly bestowed on me

ansil@prophecysound.com

THanks Again.. Mike

also TI.com does killer samples too. i got my tlc2262's from them and i even got a ceramic one too.. i like it..

and for 4049's and such fairchild does samples too.. unfortuenately i can not find any other freebies on their site they dont' do like ti or national and show what samples are available they just make you type in everything you want to try and its hit or miss.

allthough they did let me have 10 4049's so that was cool    and national has the best static bags too..  padded and translucent purple anti static bags.  

but TI in my opinion still has two of the coolest chips..  that photodiode one was evil as was the 2262..  i have a smt 2262 if anyone wants that one. i bought it from a guy and i didn't read that it was a smt

now all we need is samples from switchcraft and alpha and hammond and we would be rolling..  J/J

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm. I gotta get myself a good email adress! :lol:

Impaler

Go to www.phayze.com and get an account there. National accepted that one for me =P

As far as sampling goes, Here's a list of manufacturers that I have ordered samples from and what I ordered

Texas Instruments (RC4558P, UA78L05)
National Semiconductor
Fairchild Semiconductor (4558)
Bourns (10k Trim Pots)
Central Semiconductor (1N34a, 2N5952)
Lumex (Bright Blue, True Green Super Bright LED's)
New Japan Radio (JRC4558D, NJM13600D)
Supertex (2N7000)

Still looking for more freebies!  :wink:
"You're just another victim" - Tazz