$75 volume knob

Started by smoguzbenjamin, March 20, 2004, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Check it out :mrgreen: http://www.effector13.com/sonicrevolutions/fx_fxdoctor.html#ScalpelT

I'm sure there's a reason for asking $75 but the idea of putting a pot cap and switch in a box for that kind of money is quite funny if you ask me :lol:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

puretube

wasn`t that a guy from this forum?...

Brian Marshall

yes, and i've seen other pedals for $100 that do the same thing.... one is called "the pot"  cant remember who makes it.

It has a nice paint job.  Maybe you wouldnt pay for it, but maybe some people would.

smoguzbenjamin

$75 for a pot and a paint job... :roll: I could make millions! 8)

Peter Snowberg

I don't know what Effector13 is looking for in terms of distributor mark-up, but nobody is getting rich off that product.

Let's say the wholesale is $60 and the cost to produce is about $20. Here's what I assume the product consists of...

1 Hammond box
2 jacks (Switchcraft #11?)
1 pot
1 knob
1 stomp switch
1 box paint preparation (maybe not done in this case- alcohol wipe-down)
1 box painting (very simple spray in this case)
1 assembly process
1 testing

Here is a graph of how many you would have to sell to make various amounts of income. Consider what it would take in terms of support  to sell a given number of units. It's not as easy as you might think.

The problems of capitalism are why we have such a thriving DIY community. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

Quote404 Not Found

Oops ;)

Peter Snowberg

:oops: Whoops... I forgot to change the IP in the link from my local hardware to the WAN port of my firewall. Give it another shot. :D

Take care,
-Peter

PS: How was England Ben?

ExpAnonColin

Peter-that's not Tim's stuff, it's Negative Silence, AKA FX doctor's.  Tim just sells it through his site, who knows why.

-Colin

puretube

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistPeter-that's not Tim's stuff, it's Negative Silence, AKA FX doctor's.  Tim just sells it through his site, who knows why.

-Colin
Thanks Colin, I realize that so in the projection I used a shot-in-the-dark figure of 25% as a distributor mark-up. A typical music store uses 60% over wholesale as the shelf price but when you don't have to pay for display space you can shave that figure down quite a bit.

I wish Tim & Effector13 all the best! 8) :D (and everybody selling pedals through there too!)

Take care,
-Peter

smoguzbenjamin

Wow... $75 doesn't seem like that bad a deal after looking at that. Still an eye-opener that program...

England was great! We did absolutely nothing for school and concentrated on playing guitar instead. Two guys had brought guitars so we all ended up singing Oasis' "Wonderwall" on the bus :lol: That totally rocked :D And me and a buddy wrote a song... or two, I can't remember, we were too lazy to write them down at the time. I think I'll do that right now before I forget the song I can still remember ;) And for the first time in my life, someone said to me "You're a pretty good guitar player. You're better than those guys." those guys being guys who have had 4 years worth of guitar lessons, whereas I taught myself how to play the guitar. Hah! I feel good now. Yup, it was fun :mrgreen:

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: puretubenirvana`s silence?

That's what he calls himself on the HC boards.  His website is http://fxdoctor.com .

I actually like the idea of what Tim's doing with "sonic revolutions", but I'm afraid it's going to collapse before long because of inconsistency.

-Colin

Phorhas

Hey Peter, is there a way to down load the calculator to my computer?
Electron Pusher

Rodgre

This forum is a really unfair place to make calls on whether a pot and a cap are a rip off or not. Of course to US, it's a ripoff because we can all make the ultimate Fuzz Face in our sleep for $4, but to someone who doesn't even know how to solder a broken guitar cable, this could be exactly what they need and with that cool paintjob and the "wow, what is that?" factor, it's a good deal.

I could go through so many boutique pedals that are made up of $5 in parts.... and you know what I say? I say I wish I had thought of it first.

Roger

Paul Marossy

I dunno... $75 sounds a little bit pricey to me. But, I guess to make it worthwhile, that's what it would have to sell for...
I built one of these about 6 months ago for about $10, I just didn't use a stomp switch. I use it to set the max vol. level going to my amp, so that if I use my guitar that has a preamp in it, I can notch it down a little and keep the rest of my controls static.

Mark Hammer

J Everman makes a unit like this, and when it was mentioned on Ampage, there was a flurry of snarky postings similar to some above.  Everman eventually replied and provided a reasonable answer.  Seems some of his customers were asking for precisely this item.  They wanted to be able to switch from one preset volume to another, with no fuss or twiddling or coloration.  While certainly volume pedals provide exactly what this unit does, and you'd think anyone in their right mind would prefer something like a volume pedal instead of simply a preset in a box for the same money, there is a niche market that wants this device because they have a specific purpose for it.

It's a big world folks, everything eventually has a purpose.

Mark Hammer

Now that I think of it, didn't Electro-Harmonix put out something at one time that was simply 4 linked jacks in a box?

RickL

Yup, they called it a Junction Mixer. I've got one (yes, I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I only paid a couple of bucks) and there's not even any resistors in in like you find in some passive mixers.

Nasse

:lol: I have thought why circuits like these are not more popular or common (pre-set volume selector). Maybe for live playing you need just more than two preset levels :wink: Well that Sratocaster volume knob is sooo well situated (well sometimes too close maybe)

I found few total oldie circuits from 70´s local electronic mags. One of them is "gliding pre-set volume control" and it is done with jfet used as voltage controlled resistor. I think I have something trouble with security settings, tried to put it on yesterday with no success, keep on trying. :?
  • SUPPORTER

smoguzbenjamin

If there's a demand for something, someone is going to produce it for sure, granted. I was just thinking about the fact that I'd never pay $75 for a volume knob ;)