ZVex Demo movies

Started by Joep, April 06, 2004, 05:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joep

Hi All,

I noticed some movies of Zack (?) demoing his pedal. Especially the Probes are ultra cool!

Check this link:
http://www.zvex.com/videos.html

Bye,

Joep

zachary vex

gez

Zach, are the ‘roll-bars’ on the Nano made from aluminium tubing?  If so, how easy is this stuff to bend?  Or does someone else do all that for you?  

The reason I ask is I bought some diecast boxes recently with deep holes in the front which are just the right size for quarter inch tubing.  In my case the bars wouldn’t serve any purpose, but would look cool (and would get rid of those unsightly holes!).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mike Burgundy

Looking into the mad scientist's lab - cool!

Bassybert

I wish ALL manufacturers would give as much insight into their products as this. I take my hat off to Mr Vex - not only are his products totally cool and recognisable, they sound amazing as well. Top stuff!!

Also, sounds like Zak is parodying Apple in the Nano Head video - Jeff Goldblum eat your heart out!!!

Peace

Jim :D  :D

zachary vex

Quote from: gezZach, are the ‘roll-bars’ on the Nano made from aluminium tubing?  ...

no, they are actually solid nickel-plated brass.  they are bent before being plated... when i get them, they're all ready.

zachary vex

Quote from: Bassybert...Also, sounds like Zak is parodying Apple in the Nano Head video - Jeff Goldblum eat your heart out!!!

Peace

Jim :D  :D

i'm not familiar with this... a commercial?

Bluesgeetar

Off topic question for Zachary.  Hey Zach do you prefer Electrolytics or Tantalums in your circuits and why?  Please help big guy. :(

Bassybert

QuoteBassybert wrote:
...Also, sounds like Zak is parodying Apple in the Nano Head video - Jeff Goldblum eat your heart out!!!

Peace

Jim  

i'm not familiar with this... a commercial?

Hi Zachary

It was a commercial here in the UK, something about 'the worlds smallest, fastest, most powerul computer!

Jim

zachary vex

Quote from: BluesgeetarOff topic question for Zachary.  Hey Zach do you prefer Electrolytics or Tantalums in your circuits and why?  Please help big guy. :(

i've used both.  tantalums can have longer life.  the tone of each is different.  neither are perfect, but they're what we've got.  

i use electrolytics in the nano head for large values because it's traditional to use electrolytics in tube amps and tantalums aren't available in really high voltages (250V for example.)  i use electrolytics for my smaller pedals because they have a smaller footprint and are available in a wider variety of lead spacings.  it's mostly a matter of practicality.  when i first started, for example, i found a bunch of surplus 10uF caps and used them for years in the fuzz factory and SHO circuits, until i ran out... then i switched to electrolytics, and in those particular circuits it was hard to tell i had changed anything.

AL

Gez,

Aluminum is very easy to bend with a pipe bender.  You should be able to pick up a small hand held bender at a supply shop but aluminum tubing isn't cheap or sturdy.  If you bend it too much it will break so you should use the bender whenever possible to alleviate stress points.  If I remember correctly (it's been about 5 years) tubing around that approx. size was about $20 for 6 foot sections from McMaster-Carr -  they should also have a bender (which isn't cheap either).  http://www.mcmaster.com/

AL

Bluesgeetar

Thanks Zach!  Oh and sorry for last year.  :)

Chris R

Yeah.. those vids are cool.. i havn't seen the probe ones yet.. but i'm shopping for a lofi now ;p

i definately feel alot better about buying something that i can't play in a local music store.. after seing the vids.

keep up the good work z

C

Doug H

Very nice! It's good to have some definitive examples of what these sound like. The seek and ooh-wah remind me a little of the sound of the oberheim filter/sample&hold. I like that sound a lot. I like the wah-probe and wooly mammoth as well as the nano head too. Very impressive. :D

Doug

Winged Eel Fingerling

WOW!!! I'd never heard the Octane III in action before these vid clips...I'm blown away. :shock:  It sounds awesome when Eric plays those low power chords, really gnarly and nasty, mmmmmmmmmmmmmeaty!!
Looks like thee ole Tone Bender's headin' for eBay : )

Excellent work Mr Z,  :D
Dave
Volume! Clarity! Bass! we must have bass!

BDuguay

While Zachery is still here I have some constructive critism(sp?).
This goes for the Boss's and Ibanez's of the pedal world too. Lock washers.
It seems nobody uses them.
I added a power supply jack to a friends old SHO, a pretty darn cool piece'o'gear, and noticed an absence of lock washers on the in and output jacks. Same goes for a Blues Driver and Tube Screamer I recently worked on. This may sound petty to some but, in the case of the Blues driver, the circuit relied on a ground connection through the chassis. Both the in and output jacks were loose from use and that contributed to the problem.
In my line of work, we use at least 2 forms of locking - lock washers and loctite wherever possible. I know Zack can't speak for the two "Big Guys" but I was wondering if there was any reason he doesn't include them.
Just a thought.
Brian

Bassybert

Man, what a name Winged Eel Fingerling.

Where are you in the UK, i'm in Taunton, Zumerzet!!!!!

Jim :shock:

zachary vex

Quote from: BDuguay... I know Zack can't speak for the two "Big Guys" but I was wondering if there was any reason he doesn't include them.
Just a thought.
Brian

i do use them.  i've been using them for a couple of years now.  i didn't at first, and of course, with the glitter paints which settle after a time, i saw a lot of loose jacks in the field.

BDuguay

Great pedals made even greater now!
Cool.

Alex C

Hey, I just wanted to note how involved Zachary is in all aspects of his business.  With so many other manufacturers, it's hard enough to get a product manual or a live person on the phone.  This guy personally gives a demonstration of his effects, each and every one!  Excellent stuff, Z!

Alex