O.T.: Who pulls the biggest Homer?

Started by minideluxe, April 07, 2004, 06:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minideluxe

There are some truly awesome unsung guitar players, and on the the other hand there are some players who haven't let a handicap like chronic lack of ability hinder their ascention into the pantheon of stardom

The question is - who has the biggest stardom to inability ratio?

thumposaurus

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Ge_Whiz

For my money, the artist formerly known as Prince.

Skreddy

I hate to even say this, because it will only tend to reinforce the idea of her legitimacy in the field, but, here goes... Courtney Love.  Okay, okay; so she's not a guitarist, per se.  But damn, Girl; check yerself into a program, already!  It hurts to watch someone crash and burn that hard.  I guess I just wish her nice boobies had someone taking better care of them.   :twisted:  Their owner gives them no respect at all.

RDV

All Rap. White or Black. Don't like it. Wait...no; Louis Jordan & Cab Calloway rapped & I like that.

And I don't quite understand the "Prince has no talent" thing. Are we talking"no talent musician" or "no talent guitar player". Because a "great guitar player" who is not a "great musician" is not worth killing. In other words: do you go wheedily deedily deedily really, really fast and a few other "guitar player" type geezers go: AAAHHH?? Or do you make MUSIC. I prefer the latter.

Regards

RDV

Samuel

I can't second the Prince thing. He may not be the most top flight guitarist ever, but the guy can play. His performance on the MTV Video Awards (yeah yeah I know but I'm 99% sure it wasn't synced to a tape) reminded me that he can pull out some chops when needed (and be confident enough to sling the guitar behind his back when the chops aren't needed, which is equally important IMO)

Alex C

Yeah, my satellite TV company (DirecTV) periodically does "Freeviews," where they have live concerts playing 24/7.  They've had the Allman Brothers Band (with the amazing Derek Trucks- simply incredible) and others.  But anyway, Prince or  or whatever was on a while ago, and I was quite impressed with his guitar playing.  Maybe it's because it was live, and he doesn't show his ability on his recordings, who knows?  But I liked him.  :)

I agree with the general "rap" vote.
WARNING: RANT AHEAD:  I can't fathom the infatuation of today's white suburban youth with the "gangsta" culture (which in my opinion is very much an idealized, over-marketed, and very false image).   Argh!  It makes my blood boil!  "Hip Hop" and similar musical styles require only an intimidating glare, various muttered profanities, and the supposition that the "artist" is from "da hood," and high-school and college kids around the nation will buy it up (sorry, I only know how it is in the US).   And the genre only perpetuates the racism by which it claims to be oppressed.   AAAARRGGHH!!!
Sorry for the unnecessary rant.   And I know I sound like I'm an old geezer talking about those darn "kids these days," but I'm 18 and college kid too!  

Alex

RDV

I've had a good think on this & I have to say that Kurdt Cobain got the most mileage on the least guitar technique ever.

I loved his playing. Loved it, but it had nothing to do with any muso technique or MIT or practicing scales 12 hours a day. All feeling.

I think that talent is not exactly definable. I think all the boy bands have talent, they sing like birds, and can dance like they're on fire. But do they rock?? Hell NO!!

Regards

RDV

minideluxe

I agree on the Cobain thing - I thought his name would pop up early.  but it raises an interesting thought - does technique equal ability?  I mean if BB King is in his own "horrible on chords"and can't sing and play at the same time yet no-one woulsd deny his ability.

One name I'd like to throw in is both prats from Oasis

Arno van der Heijden

I'm probably going to be decapitated for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway:

The Rolling Stones!!  

I can't stand them  :evil: . I could go on and on about this, but I think it's better not to....

BillyJ

Jimi Hendrix!

Ok I messing with you! Sheesh have a heart attack  :D

What matters is you have something to say with your instrument and somehow you get it across.
The rest is just extra notes.

Jay Doyle

Quote from: Ge_WhizFor my money, the artist formerly known as Prince.

Ge,

This question is rife for conflict but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this.

I can't think of a single guitarist that Prince can't at least hang with and most he can flat out blow away.

Whatever the case, you can not say he doesn't have talent.

runmikeyrun

Arno I agree with you.  I never understood the stones.  Jagger disgusts me physically and with his stage presence (come on... the "strut"?) and Keith Richards is more a medical curiosity that he has lived this long than an impressive guitar player.  Actually it amazes me that he can still play, but anyway I digress...

Incidentally, what IS that sound at the beginning of "Satisfaction"?  I always thought it was a kazoo.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

RDV

Quote from: runmikeyrunIncidentally, what IS that sound at the beginning of "Satisfaction"?  I always thought it was a kazoo.
FUZZ.

RDV

WGTP

Again, I love Leslie West's tone and style and feel, but technically???

I'm sure SRV could play circles around most folks, but I don't care for his tone or his Hendrix rip offs.  Go back and listen to the real deal.

That will piss of some folks for sure.  He just didn't do it for me.

The Stones are a great R&R band, but couldn't hardly play their way out of a paper bag.  I think song writing and ripping off other peoples style is there talent.

Talent can be expresses in many different ways.  Does Al DiMeola Rock???

Dylan???  Maybe he should have stuck with being a poet.

Who doesn't do a Dylan song better than him???

My son's middle name is Dylan

Who does a Beatles song better than them or Hendrix???

Plenty of people will say Jimi Page can't play.  Compared to Beck who can?

Anyway I think in the eyes of the pulic, it's more important how a guitarist stands than how he plays

That is why Page is so cool & the fact that he comes up with the most amazing stuff.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

axis

I'll add another vote for rap.It's absolutely the worst  form of music, if you want to call it that, to ever be produced.As far as guitarist go I would have to say Neil Young, who I actually  think is an  incredible singer/song writer.
 As spoken of before sometimes creative genius and technical ability are estranged from one another.What it all boils down to is the song, whether  it's a complicted jazz arangement ,or a three chord rock tune, it all comes down to connecting with people on an emotional level.
Build a better fuzz face and the world will beat a path to your door.

george

what, exactly, is the question? Is it who has the lowest ability/fame ratio but deserves to be a star (ie has talent), or lowest a/f and *doesn't* deserve to be a star (ie has no talent but has managed to bs their way to the top)?

If the former then probably Bob Dylan - lol he can't sing either but I love him just the same!

Lonestarjohnny

the first famous dude I saw that made me go Duuuuuh ! when he played guitar was Bolen from T-Rex, I'm here to tell ya he looked as bad as Robbie did in the Fairwell to the Band video, and I'm a big Doors Fan, But early Krieger was also a joke, they had a good guitar player in Mark Benno, who they let slide away after the first couple of album's, I've teched for Mark and he's a Super guy, gave me a pic. of him and Jim in the studio doin L. A. woman, also let me hear a unreleased recording of him and SRV when they had a band in L.A. He's try'in to get this released and I hope he do, cause there is some great stuff on it by SRV for those that do dig the Texas StrataBlaster.Blowed me away to get hear that one.
and last but not least is Jimmy Page, I've paid big bucks to see him 6 time's in my life and every time his tone Sucked or he just was not into it and out of the set maybe 1 or 2 song's he nailed it, He's a great guitar player but I think maybe has to many gear problem's when on the road, the last three time's  I saw him he was playin rental equipment so I did'nt expect to see the real Jimmy Page,
JD

bwanasonic

Quote from: Alex C"Hip Hop" and similar musical styles require only an intimidating glare, various muttered profanities, and the supposition that the "artist" is from "da hood," and high-school and college kids around the nation will buy it up (sorry, I only know how it is in the US).

You might want to try actually listening to some Hip Hop other than what is played on the radio. The wealth of talent is staggering. Listen to Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Blackaliscious, Aesop Rock, The Roots and Common just to name a few. Hip Hop is a continuation and celebration of the tradition of Black Music, containing elements of jazz, soul, R&B, funk, blues and rock. I can see not enjoying Hip Hop, but claiming there is no talent involved is absurd.

As far as claiming Prince has no talent...the mind boggles.

Guess there's not too many *folks* round here
Kerry M

Alex C

Quote from: bwanasonic
You might want to try actually listening to some Hip Hop other than what is played on the radio...  I can see not enjoying Hip Hop, but claiming there is no talent involved is absurd.  

Yeah, I know...but doesn't it feel good to rant?  :)

I actually do appreciate some music in this style with good lyrical content and I really like good rythym/flow/beats, etc.  (what we call "music").  You're right, my tirade was a little narrow-minded, because I can only refer to that with which our generation is constantly inundated (ie. what's on the radio, in commercials, blasted at the record store, etc).  It just boggles my mind that so many people (stupid kids - all around me all the time!) like it and accept it and strive to be part of it.

Okay, you're right.  :)   I just listened to some De La Soul (Me Myself and I) and Tribe Called Quest (Scenario) and I like 'em both!  I listened to Scenario about three times.   :)   Thanks.

Okay, so we need a way to distinguish between quality hip-hop (I don't even know the right lingo to describe the genres) and "the stuff on the radio."    Any ideas?

Alex