NEwbie that needs help.

Started by cyberkidd007, June 05, 2004, 10:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberkidd007

hi im an new to guitars and modding and stuff. I want to make a clear distortion effect. I have good solder skills but a pretty tight budget. I think i would prefer perfboards because they are cheaper. I just went out and bought a pcboard kit and a prepunched perfboard but it didnt have and tinned stuff on it. SHould i take this bake and get the pretinned ones? ANd wich diy proj. should i do? I dont want it to take a long time and for it to be really complicated. I have been reading up for awhile and was gonna to the electra distortion but i decided to start perfing instead of pcb because of the price. IF tou could please help me i would really appreciate it.  Since i am going back to radioshack to take back my pcb kit. SHould i also take back my perfboard? And get the pretinned ones? Any and all help will be appreciated
Thanxz
'KiD

RDV

I use the copper pad-per-hole perfboards from RS, they work well. If you're afraid of shelling out some dough, this hobby may not be for you though. You can buy some pretty decent effects for cheap from Musician's Friend you know. The Arion stuff is decent, and REALLY cheap. This is an expensive and addictive hobby. Don't get me wrong, I love it as much as anyone here, but make no mistake, it costs $ to do it right.

Regards

RDV

cyberkidd007

well i know it is $$ but what i want to do right now is just get some cool effects like distortion and stuff. I just want to make one and see if i like it. I was into RCin but i really didnt have the time with it. BUT i enjoy soldering and stuff like that. But the main reason is to futher my knowlege with electronics. Should i take back my regular perf and get the soldered one? I got the biggest sheet at radioshack was like 5 bucks.

Eric H

Quote from: cyberkidd007Should i take back my regular perf and get the soldered one? I got the biggest sheet at radioshack was like 5 bucks.
Nothing wrong with that Radio Shack perf. It is actually lacquer-coated (that's why it looks brown) and the soldering iron will burn through that coating --it doesn't need tinning (pre-soldering).

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

cyberkidd007

oh ok thats good to know know i can take back my pcboard kit and spend 16 on parts. I was at runoffgroove and i saw tube reamer and many face (or something like that) and i liked those especially tube reamer because that is just how i want it to sound. Would this be a good beginner proj. because i really like it. or should i do something a lil easier like the one on this forum? Does it give a distortion? or what does it do>?
thanxz
'KiD

RDV

RDV

Quote from: cyberkidd007...or should i do something a lil easier like the one on this forum? Does it give a distortion? or what does it do>?
thanxz
'KiD
It's a booster.

The Muff booster here is a good beginner project that distorts. http://www.muzique.com/schem/projects.htm

Or the electra is alright also.

RDV

cyberkidd007

yeah i especially like runoffgrove because of all the pics and stuff. But its not really a beginners site because it doesnt have alot of documentation. I didnt really like it because i want something that walks you through and tells you what to buy like the electra but i heard there was an error in the electra?? what is that?? What would be a good beginner one that doesnt cost alot but gives a decent affect?

EDit: the perf i have is cat#276-1396 a
thanxz
'KiD

RDV

It doesn't get more plainly explained and illustrated than this:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/TweakO/TweakO.htm

Here's the board recommended in the project(also used in most of the R.O.G. projects also)http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=276%2D149

Here's the one I've been using for Opamp based projects(cause there are groups of connected pads which make things easier for using ICs):
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=276%2D150

Have Fun

RDV

cyberkidd007

what exactly is the tweako? and would it cost alot?
ill take back my pcbkit and perfboard and get the grid stuff. Ill also buy my projects supplies when i decide on what  am doing.

Alex C

The Tweak-o is what got me started, I highly recommend it for a first build.  It's maybe best described as a medium-gain fuzz/distortion.  The build explanation is incredibly detailed.  You can get the same perfboard with letter/number coordinates from Radio Shack or Steve (at www.smallbearelec.com ) and then just follow the numbers.  He even provides photos of the board from the component and copper side, so you can see all connections made.  It couldn't be any easier than this.  This is also a decent circuit for testing basic mods.  So do it now!

Alex

Fret Wire

This is the Tweak-O project file:

It's available as a complete kit with everything included for $35.95
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Stocklist.htm
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

cyberkidd007

ok thanxz guys i think ill try that. DO you know approx. how much it cost to build it? And what size box would be good? i dont want everything packed in there put not a whole lot of room either.

cyberkidd007

could someone list all the parts i need? i would really appreciate it because i dont want to mess something up because i thought x was y and bought the wrong thing.
Thanxz
'KiD

petemoore

Even if your'e building something else, the tweek_O article is a great read, and much of the info relates to any build.
 I believe there's a parts list for the Tweek-O, a parts list can easily be made with pen and paper from any schematic that lists part values [all at ROG do] most schematics include values.
 First build...the lower the parts count = easier it is to debug, and debugging skills you WILL need, sooner or later, probably sooner if you're inexperienced as I was when I started.
 If you haven't already, check out the beginners page here from forum index, that NPN boost is a Good One, and you'll surely like using a nice booster like that [well ... extremely likely].
 The Fetzer Valve...also a great sounding low parts count simple build and uses a Jfet.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

cyberkidd007

what does the booster do? And i dont understand how to make a parts list because i dont want to screw it up but if someone would make me one i would really appreciate it.
Thanx
'KiD

Alex C

The LPB booster doesn't add distortion but increases your gain or signal strength.  It works best pushing an existing gain stage.  It's probably not what you want if you're looking for a distortion effect.  

The Tweak-O parts list is at the very bottom of this page :  

The kit is probably the best way to go, as you get everything you need, and the parts are already chosen so you can be sure they're correct.
As FretWire mentioned, it's $35.95 here :  (the 6th one down)
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Stocklist.htm  

Alex

cyberkidd007

ok i will prob buy the kit because i know it is right. thanx for your help

cyberkidd007

ok i just took a look at my wallet and i only have 25 dollars i was thinking that i could maybe goback to the electra and try that since it has all the radioshack part no's. I heard about something wrong in the diagram though. Do you know what this is? Would it be easy to put it on a perf? how hard would it be to convert it? Is there anyone here who has done the electra that could give me some help? or tips/pics?
'KiD

Fret Wire

Many times, your money goes less further at Radio Shack. We all know what it's like to be on a budget though! It may be better to wait until you have the $15 more for the Tweak-O kit. Of course it's your money and your choice. Like Pete suggested, the Tweak-O file is a good read whether you build it or not, just to give you an idea what is involved with building a pedal from start to finish. It's more than just soldering the parts on the board and connecting the jacks and such. You also have to put it in a box that fits the project, decide where to drill the box so all the off board components fit, wire it properly, not only so it works, but so the wiring fits the box you choose, and so on.

The Tweak-O takes care of that guesswork for you. All you are left to do is buy the finishing paint. The rest is all mapped out. It's always a nice confidence booster when your first project works the first or second try. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)