SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: John Lyons on September 03, 2009, 09:12:33 PM
I made a bypass/in/out box with alligator clips
that I connect to the off board wires to test the board.
Just plug in the guitar to the box and then connect (4)_
clips to the off  board wires (+9v, ground, in and out).
Invaluable!!

This is highly recommended! I build one today:

It has two loops to connect fx to, a bypass switch and an A/B-switch to select which effect is active. Very nice for comparing two breadboarded effects. Especially if you have twice the same effect breadboarded and want to compare subtle tweaks.

Mine comes from a recycle-shop...it is an old cookie box I guess ;)

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

flo

Extremely cute flower power kid!  :) Yours John?

John Lyons

Yes, that's my little guy. He's crazy about dandelions at the moment.
Dig the shirt!

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

royzic

so cute!
and i like that shirt too   :icon_cool:

JKowalski

Don't be fooled! It's not a souped up Boss SD-1! I completely forgot that boss made a pedal called that :icon_rolleyes:

It's a custom design - basically the waveform is split into top and bottom, and each half goes into a TS-style log clipper. The left gain pot and the left side slide switch deal with the top, and the other side with the bottom of the wave. The slide switch let's you change the log clipper from inverting to non-inverting (each style distorts significantly differently, one is a more trebly kind of classic distortion sound, the other is more bassy and heavier. The "mix" knob lets you dial in how much of each side of the waveform goes into the final mix (i.e. you can choose equal amounts, or attenuate one side while adding gain to the other-to the point where one side is completely gone and the other side is at 2x gain, making up for the loss of the other side in terms of volume and making a kind of _/\_/\_ kind of waveform. The tone knob is an active bass/treble boost. Very useful in filtering those unwanted distortion components out and changing the mood of the pedal.

I really like how it turned out - it's very versatile. You can get an incredible range of fuzz/distortion sounds out of it.

beatnik

sounds cool!

a demo video or sound sample?

deaconque

Quote from: beatnik on September 07, 2009, 08:47:38 AM
sounds cool!

a demo video or sound sample?

definitely need to hear that one

mills

Built a modified DOD 280A today.  Stole the basic layout from tonepad and changed it around  a bit.

Way, Way too much coffee while I made this, so it got a bit shakey, and there's about 5 missed connections on the perf photo.  Took a few tries to find 'em and get it corrected  ::).

The Trim pot (10k) changes the timing and intensity of the LED.  I think that it seems to make this less terrible than the I'd expected from the threads I read here.  It definately gets pretty extreme at some settings, but others seem useable.

juse

Quote from: John Lyons on September 06, 2009, 04:41:14 PM

Looks like the inspiration for a new pedal - "Dandelion:icon_biggrin:

Nice shot, John!

JKowalski

Quote from: mills on September 07, 2009, 07:26:15 PM
Built a modified DOD 280A today.  Stole the basic layout from tonepad and changed it around  a bit.

Wow, that wire lettering looks amazing.

As far as a demo of my pedal goes, I'll see what I can do. Its gonna have to be a vid, don't have any of my recording equip at the house right now.

mills

Quote from: JKowalski on September 07, 2009, 09:46:26 PM

Wow, that wire lettering looks amazing.

As far as a demo of my pedal goes, I'll see what I can do. Its gonna have to be a vid, don't have any of my recording equip at the house right now.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it... it looks way better in person unmarred by my terrible photography.

I'd also love to see a video or hear a clip of that distortion... it looks pretty interesting!

rousejeremy

I LOVE the Rambo quote
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

mills

I'm impressed someone caught where that was from.  I try to put a line from Rambo in all the pedals I make!

punkin

Please tell us how you put that wire scripting on your enclosure. Looks great!
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

mills

Its pretty much done exactly how you'd expect (and probably not super durable... we'll see about that part.)

I spelled the word in silver wire, and flattened it under a few big textbooks for a while.  Then, when the paint (or clearcoat) is tacky, but not too dry yet, just drop the wire word in.  Clear coat it a bunch of times and you're done.  

Don't get overexcited about the clear coat like I do and use too much or before the last coat was dry... you end up with this bubbly wierdness that's going to need to be covered with a big knob.

Got the idea from the fence in my rangemaster (back a few pages) and have been thinking about other things that could be embedded in the clearcoat.  I have some super fluorescent pink wire that would be REALLY ugly on a yellow enclosure... so that might have to happen soon.  I've also been thinking about embossed, or pressed into the clear as well.  If only had the time to build the circuit as fast as I paint the enclosure...   I kinda got tired of names and labels and all that.  It looks great on other peoples pedals, but I'm happiest building simple, minimaly labelled boxes.

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: John Lyons on September 06, 2009, 04:41:14 PM

Thats the best Dunlop Cry Baby custom enclosure i have ever seen. ;)

Aww, too cute. :D

head_spaz

Hey John Lyons,
Did you build that yourself? I'll bet you have a very supporting wife, one that encourages your hobby to the bone.
I love the way you used the fuzz on top of the knob as texture to match the fuzz coming out of the output on the left.
I can't see if it's well grounded in the picture, but it looks pretty durn stable if that's a brand new new build !!!
How many decibels of gain can you get out of it when it's fully cranked?
And with them chompers, it's probably got a pretty good bite to it too.
But is it hard on the consumption? I would imagine that it goes thru batteries like pizz thru diapers, and I'll bet you've got a long list of mods planned for its future.
I'd name it Rapture Ready Freddy, because it sure looks like a keeper.
I hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it, and that it lives up to your every expectation.
Kudos man!
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

budjb

Quote from: head_spaz on September 08, 2009, 01:39:49 PM

Hey John Lyons,
Did you build that yourself? I'll bet you have a very supporting wife, one that encourages your hobby to the bone.
I love the way you used the fuzz on top of the knob as texture to match the fuzz coming out of the output on the left.
I can't see if it's well grounded in the picture, but it looks pretty durn stable if that's a brand new new build !!!
But is it hard on the consumption? I would imagine that it goes thru batteries like pizz thru diapers, and I'll bet you've got a long list of mods planned for its future.
I hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it, and that it lives up to your every expectation.
Kudos man!

This post is win.

tranceracer

Quote from: head_spaz on September 08, 2009, 01:39:49 PM
Hey John Lyons,
Kudos man!

LOL!   :D