News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhferguson

This may be a dumb question but, how did you all get your paint to stick to the aluminum boxes? I sand, primer, and paint and it peels off every time.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jhferguson on February 04, 2013, 02:53:34 PM
This may be a dumb question but, how did you all get your paint to stick to the aluminum boxes? I sand, primer, and paint and it peels off every time.

Check to make sure your primer and paint are compatible  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

MmmPedals

What kind of primer do you use?
Probably should start this in its own topic.

lietuvis

Here is my first time project with smd parts of THAT4301 compressor based on Carl Martin compressor/limiter schematic. For power I used 2W dc-dc converter NMH0515SC. For PCB files in sprint layout PM.

And guts

Perrow

Looking nice the lietuvis, was the SMD components hard to work with?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

lietuvis

To Perrow : Thanks, no it's not difficult at all  smd was even easier than thru hole, did not have to drill holes, with fine tweezers and flux and not fancy iron solder and some online tips worked fine, not like factory soldering but good enough for diy pedal. to me key is flux and regular solder tip cleaning.

pickdropper

Lietuvis, that is a very nice build.  Great job with the SMD on the etched board.

midwayfair

I don't believe I've seen an SMD etch before! Nice job, lietuvis!
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

Whoa!!!  I've glanced at the board a few times and just realized that I was looking at the top of it!!! :icon_eek:

Very well done!!! :D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

lietuvis

Thanks for comments, as I say I did really enjoy doing SMD, think all my next builds are going to be SMD, makes large schematics to fit on fairly small board, thous in to small enclosure. It somehow was easier to design the board itself, you can run resistor right underneath of film capacitor or within dip IC, I have ever soldered QSOP package without fail, removed bridges with desoldering bride and yes use enough flux. Here is some more pics:

Almost completed PCB stuffing

When I drilled holes in the enclosure I realised the pots will not fit for about 2,5mm from the top of enclosure to be PCB mounted, eventually I had to flip them and run the wires as in final version

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

dromilious

Nice Job man! As i can see you use a relay for switching ?can you please tell us more info ?

lietuvis

To Dromilious: the effect switching is done by dpdt heavy duty switch and it's not true bypass effect, but the buffer(or a gain stage approx X5) does not introduce noise to me and its a hi Z input, if you thinking about that black relay size component then it is a 2W dc-dc converter NMH0515SC to power up the circuit with bipolar 15V supply from 5V. The 5V I get from 7805 regulator mounted directly to enclosure which gets feed from 9V adaptor.

lietuvis

I get a lot from the forum so I more than happy to share my project.
Link to schematic and PCB files in Sprint Layout format for THAT4301 compressor, feel free to build it or modify :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/er0ucqf9601wpc1/pNfdoGq-yV

free electron

Nice work Lietuvis!
Traco Power makes nice DC-DC converters which can be used to generate bipolar 15V directly from 9V, without the need to bring it down to 5V. I have used the TMR3-1223 in one of my latest VCA based pedals, worked nicely!
And here is my version of the THAT4301 compressor, soon to be a part of my new rackmount bass tube preamp:

Perrow

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

lietuvis

+1 WOW . I asume you going for full future compressor with attack and release and soft-hard knee? I think I need to grow up to start making double sided diy PCB. Are you using one of the Ampeg schematic? I can see large inductor. Actually I was thinking to build one svt 3 pro preamp and started pcb design for it, all on one board except controls to be on separate board, maybe one day...

vintageRigs

vintageRigs

Sorry...Here it is.  The Fuzz.  Fifth build, based on Tim E. TMK, but with a twist (less knobs).  This is my cleanest build so far, so i am showing the guts!

Guts

vintageRigs