News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

Here are a couple of more.

First, the 1x12 speaker cab with a Celestion Greenback for the 5 watt heads. I designed the cab, a friend did the carpentry, and I finished it. I don't want to shell out for tolex and "real" grill cloth. So I covered it in denim and used an old burlap sack for the grill cloth.

Next, is a Vox AC15C1. I designed the cab, same friend built it, and I covered it. It is a 2x10 with Celestions. The grill cloth is burlap again.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

bluebunny

Quote from: Electron Tornado on October 09, 2020, 10:02:38 PM
I covered it in denim and used an old burlap sack for the grill cloth.

Works for me.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

The vast majority of the pedals I've built recently have just been more of the same things I've built before so it's been a while since I posted anything :P But this is a prototype I came up with for a simple 6N21B tube/optical compressor. It's based on the Hollis Flatline and I kept the op-amp driven sidechain for simplicity, just trying to keep it simple because I've never really done a compressor before.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

11-90-an

^^^ cool. You didn't add a switch at all for the reed-switching-resistor thingy? Unless you're gonaa only do it in the final versions?
flip flop flip flop flip

vigilante397

Quote from: 11-90-an on October 22, 2020, 10:31:44 AM
^^^ cool. You didn’t add a switch at all for the reed-switching-resistor thingy? Unless you’re gonaa only do it in the final versions?

Right, should have mentioned for those following the LA-1A thread, this is NOT the LA-1A. This is a completely different project that I started a couple months ago based on the Hollis Flatline. LA-1A is still going to be a while and will be MUCH bigger.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

garcho

sounds like a cool project. and potential buyers will love hearing the words "tube compressor", that shiz sells itself!  ;D

QuoteI've never really done a compressor before

rabbit hole alert! since you're an smt guy maybe you could stick this one in a 1790

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

vigilante397

Quote from: garcho on October 22, 2020, 11:17:29 AM
sounds like a cool project. and potential buyers will love hearing the words "tube compressor", that shiz sells itself!  ;D

rabbit hole alert! since you're an smt guy maybe you could stick this one in a 1790

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

That's the idea ;) And that one looks neat, thanks for sharing :) I saved the schematic, I'll have to take a look at it. No tubes and no transformers means I could probably get it pretty small.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

I've been doing some neat prototyping lately so you're going to see a few more from me over the next couple days :P

I've been doing an Alembic F-2B clone with a 6N21B tube that I call "Particle Accelerator" and the biggest complaint I get is the current draw. So I designed this one using a pair of 5672 pentodes for a low-current version, and I call it "Large Hadron Collider" :P It's not as loud as the 6N21B version, but it still gets over unity and has a very nice warm sound, I think it will be good for an always-on preamp type thing.

And since I forgot to get a gutshot of the compressor before mailing it off, I made sure to get one of this:

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Alright, last prototype for me (at least until next week when my new PCBs show up ::)). This is Glass Clover (formerly known as Electric Potato), my take on the TS808 with the input and output buffers replaced with 6N21B submini tube stages. I'm not really a tubescreamer person, but this thing sounds pretty good 8)

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

kraal

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 27, 2020, 10:16:23 AM

Hi,
The drill and engraving job is really clean.
Do you have a CNC to drill your enclosures (diagonal holes) and engrave them by yourself or do you order them ?
And if you have a CNC which one do you use ?

Cheers,

vigilante397

Quote from: kraal on October 27, 2020, 11:45:59 AM
The drill and engraving job is really clean.
Do you have a CNC to drill your enclosures (diagonal holes) and engrave them by yourself or do you order them ?
And if you have a CNC which one do you use ?

Cheers,

Thanks :) I use a CNC for all my drilling. I don't usually engrave the enclosures like this, I just do it on prototypes, it's a lot faster than finishing the enclosure and lasering it.

I've been using this machine for the past 5 years or so: https://www.zencnc.com/product/zen-toolworks-7x7-cnc-machine/ I've learned a lot from it, but there are WAY better machines out there for way better prices these days. I recently purchased a much bigger one and it's all set up in my garage, but I have yet to actually start using it :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

amz-fx

There are a lot of pictures of pedals and gut shots in my Instagram:

AMZ instagram feed

Enjoy!

Best regards, Jack

EBK

This is my cheerful fuzz build.  The circuit is pinkjimiphoton's Schizoid Face.  The enclosure has been sitting on my shelf for years from a long-ago-recycled build.  I hadn't reused it earlier because I didn't care for the position of the stomp and jacks, but it works well enough here.

Adding my initials was the full extent of my willingness to hand paint the enclosure, but I actually like the simplicity.  :icon_razz:
I chose an orange LED (my new favorite LED color--expect to see them pop up regularly in my future builds), deviating from jimi's blue/green "eyes" design choice.

Edit:  I've changed my mind about not painting more.  Stay tuned.  I'm planning to make it more cheerful (and soothing).  :icon_wink:

Edit2:
Now with 100% more Chamomile!

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

o2bthecream

Fender Blender Clone in a 125B size enclosure. No room for a battery in this case.

duck_arse

Quote from: o2bthecream on November 07, 2020, 10:51:29 PM
Fender Blender Clone in a 125B size enclosure. No room for a battery in this case.

nice symmetry. don't you hate 10uF caps?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

diydave

Latest build: lpb-1 + clon in one enclosure.

dfx_pedalpcbs

mtk

I've been working on this one for almost a month. The Databus is the largest pcb I've ever worked on and the "enclosure" has the most hours I've put into a pedal build yet. Lots of Sketchup work before hitting the shop. As soon as Parasit posted the demo of this build a few months back, I knew what I wanted to do but wasn't sure I'd be able to pull it off. Getting the toggles just right was particularly tricky but, overall, it turned out better than I expected. I'm pretty bad at painting but it could've been worse. I'm still on the fence about adding labels, I'm digging how it looks as is. Kinda sleek.

Build pics - https://imgur.com/a/RrPInGR

PCB - https://www.parasitstudio.se/store/p83/C19_Databus_Drive_PCB.html

EBK

Nice!
By the way, I own some NOS Atari console momentary "toggles" (they are technically slide switches with a toggle-like handle) if you want some.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

willienillie

Who broke the internet?  Youtube videos are down, and the Imgur pics above are loading slower than dialup.

Edit:  Youtube is back, and the pics above are loading normally for their size now.