News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Here's a newly finished project.  I built a circuit design station.  The idea was inspired by and based on Dano's Beavis Board.  I would have just bought one from him, but times are tough and I didn't have a few hundred bucks stuffed in the mattress.  But somewhere in that mattress I did find everything I needed, sans the breadboard, to build one myself!

I ended up using an old external hard drive enclosure that I found in one of my numerous junk boxes and painted it pink since that's a color I had on hand that I don't use too often on pedals. (although maybe I should...?  :icon_lol: )  You also might notice that, in contrast to the Beavis Board, on mine the offboard enclosure is on the right side instead of the left.  This was specifically because I'm left handed!  :icon_mrgreen:

Lettering was simply printed on satin clear adhesive label paper that I had lying around.

I used the original 9VDC hole on the enclosure for the power jack and then the battery housing has a power plug on it too so I can power with either battery or wallwart. 

Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

amptramp

Quote from: trad3mark on June 18, 2010, 03:54:14 PM
ok, so this isn't strictly a build photo. It's actually the mess as a result of my effort/work in progress for 666. But anyway, i was messing about with the macro setting on my camera. Pretty bad that i now have this as my wallpaper on my laptop. I've a tonne of these kinda photos now. i think they're class. :D

OOOOH!!! ABSTRACT!!!! It symbolises the anger and frustration that we all feel sometimes when making effects. ;)

We have a winner!  The circuitry looks like hell, so it should automatically win the 666 contest.

trad3mark

hahaha! i'll post some better ones tomorrow. that's not even the worst pile.

rousejeremy

^^
Oh sh*t. That's beautiful! Make sure to stick it in the Disasters Thread too.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

trad3mark

Cant remember if i posted this... Made a MicroAmp. a few slight differences, but the most obvious one is the use of a TL072 instead of the standard op amp. It's good and clean, and does what i was expecting. Wasn't really arsed painting this one, so i made a nice simple decal for it, printed it onto sketchroll (much to the detriment of my poor poor printer) and mounted it with photomount. photomount is a much thicker glue than the spraymount, but that's what gives it that cool blotchy effect. Pretty neat, huh? Photo + guts:

not as abstract/artistic as my macro shot, but hey. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I can definitely feel the quality of my builds improving with each one. :)

tubelectron

In the non-painted / cheap finish range, here's my Tubscrimeur Ibanèze.

Not very nice look, but fastly done (à l'arrache).
Not very good sounding, but far better (to my taste) than the RI TS-808 and TS-9 of friends : more bass and more smoothness, as this is a modified circuit. The IC is a JRC4558.

I also own a stock T-REX Alberta, better sounding than the stock TS (IMHO), but not so amazing finally, so I conclude that the TS is not really a suitable pedal for me...

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

g.

ahaha ibanèze
très vieille france ;-)

knealebrown

Trademark, how did you get away with using that uninsulated dc jack? I thought that was a big no no?
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

trad3mark

yeah i had a problem with those before. I was in one of the many many shops where i get parts, and the guy gave me a tip. (Cos it's actually really difficult to get insulated ones easily where i am. :( ) he makes pedals too. He suggested i put a tiny little strip of electrical tape on the inside of the hole, and then put two washers either side of the enclosure. I was very very sceptical cos it seems so.... makeshift? But surprisingly, it does the job pretty nicely. Insulated jacks are a bitch to get in any of the shops over here, so i'm kinda stuck with this solution for the meantime. It seems fine. that's the second of my pedals that have used that solution and i haven't had any problems thus far.

studiostud

Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

amptramp

You can get shoulder washers made of nylon.  These are used (in a smaller size) for TO-220 transistor mounting kits and may be available from dedicated mechanical hardware suppliers in the correct size for the DC jack.  We have one mechanical hardware store chain called Brascade in our area.  The minimum order the last time I went there was $30 total spread over any number of line items, and the last time I went there was to get specialty screws for Goya guitar tuning pegs.  I had to buy a load of other stuff, but I did get what I wanted.  Other than a shoulder washer, you could use two ordinary washers and a tubular plastic material like a spacer.  As long as the total length of the spacer is smaller than the box thickness plus the thickness of the washers, and the spacer fits inside the hole in the washers, you can guarantee being able to tighten the mounting nut and having it hold (without rattling around) while remaining insulated.  You could also have a spacer with the same inner diameter as the washers and just make sure it is not as long as the box is thick and you can also guarantee that this combination will grip.

ShortScaleMike

Magnus

Hello together,
QuoteI have one! It was my first build ever. I think it's a pedal that works fine the first time for everybody so nobody is debugging it and we don't see them, but there are many!
Yes, I think this is an opinion  ;)

QuoteYours looks much better with those knobs!
Thank you, I am happy with it too  :)

So here's my next finished build, an authentic cloned Sola Sound TONE BENDER MKI,
build on an hand-drilled board with all its Mojo like ptp-wiring, isolated signal-wires,
positive-ground, carbon battery, NOS transistors (selected by myself from a lot = took 10 hours time!),
an original looking enclosure and this tuned with gimmicks like true-bypass, metal-resistors,
a dc-jack, a low-current-led mounted in a jewel-light and something other, just take a look  ;)
The capacitor on the left side is a mallory (yes, really!) which i covered
with printed paper and wax to look like the old original PIO-cap, look at these links:
(I think it is something like a Luxe-Capacitor now  ;))

http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/17258/DIY-Papierkondensator-Replika.jpg

http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/17258/Vergleich.jpg

http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/17258/DIY-Papierkondensator-Replika.pdf

Greetings from Germany
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

knealebrown

Very tidy magnus, showing us some of that famous german precission  ;)

heres my two loop, one tuner/mute loop box which is soon to have a buffered output once i get parts. I went for the moog look and the 4pdt switch flips which loop is first and which is second so experiments can be had with order 'a la' wah or fuzz first etc.

gutts availible on request (honestly they are not that exciting  :))

arma61

I love it!  Wood and steel (iron or alumunium or whatever "metal") is always a "good looking" combination

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

tubelectron

Hi Magnus,

Your Tone-Bender is very nice - I particularly appreciate that "golden gentle sparkle finish" and the jewel pilot.
I would have done the same on my Double-Tone-Bender if I knew how to do it simply with success, but...
As you can see I used plexiglas to cover the PC designed and printed faceplate :

internal view with vintage components (as far as possible) for the occasion :

I know that my "plexi method" offers a more than acceptable and durable and repairable result without monkeying and stressing with paint job - but most of the DIYers uses paint job, not plexi, so there must be a "trick" that I forgot, then...

So how have you done the simple but nice finish of your Tone-Bender ?
- was the box already painted ?
- is the lettering PC designed and printed on a transparent adhesive foil ?
- How in the world do you make it... DURABLE and ABUSE RESISTANT ???

Thanks for your informations - I am a paint unsuccessful newbie !

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

jmwreck

i haven't done something new, and i have a question to all of you who have tried this,

HOW DO YOU PUT A NON- SET SCREW KNOB TO A SMOOTH POTENTIOMETER WITHOUT GLUING OR PUTTING IT PERMANENTLY.  like putting some adhesives to hold it strong enough, but can still be removed if needed.

:) ???

kungpow79

DougH's Highway 89.  I was surprised how nice these pics came out in part sunlight.  Wow, this thing has a truck load of gain!  I definitely use the guitar's volume with this one.

knealebrown

brilliant paint job how did you get that?? is it an airbrush?

deadastronaut

creme brule'....nice colours....sunburst pedal...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//