Email Notification of Replies To A Post?! Not me.

Started by Paul Marossy, September 27, 2005, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Quote from: aron on October 04, 2005, 09:49:04 PM
At this point you need to check with your ISP. I think it's being filtered out at that level, not at your computer. If you have webmail, check your account using webmail before you check mail with your computer.

Well, right now I have it set so all "spam" goes to my screened mail first. I have received no email notifications from the forum whatsoever since I have changed that setting (which is currently in effect since I have junk in it now). I think something is wrong with my forum account. Maybe something got corrupted or something? I am 99% sure it's not a problem with my email filtering setting(s).

aron

QuoteWell, right now I have it set so all "spam" goes to my screened mail first. I have received no email notifications from the forum whatsoever since I have changed that setting (which is currently in effect since I have junk in it now). I think something is wrong with my forum account. Maybe something got corrupted or something? I am 99% sure it's not a problem with my email filtering setting(s).

I believe we've proved that it is at your ISP level. The forum is indeed sending email. It doesn't care whether it's a diystompboxes.com account or your personal account. Code is code - it just fills in the text. The fact that you don't see it at your computer means that it's being filtered out before it hits your computer.

It's not your local filtering settings, I believe it's happening at your ISP mail server settings. Ask them why mail is not reaching your computer.

Think about it. I bet we could change your email address for the forum to a gmail account and it would work. The reason why it doesn't reach you is that it's being filtered before it hits your computer. Ask your ISP if they use any type of anti-spam filter.

When we say it's being filtered, we don't mean at the local (computer level), we mean at the ISP level.

It's probably ATT.

Paul Marossy

QuoteWhen we say it's being filtered, we don't mean at the local (computer level), we mean at the ISP level.

It's probably ATT.

I only use my email provided by my ISP - I never use Outlook Express for email because I don't want stuff on my computer for safety reasons. That means I go to att.net and access my email address and do all emailing from there, not my computer. Therefore, if I set the spam filter at my email account to send stuff to my screened mail folder instead of deleting immediately as it's received, it will all be dumped in my screened mail folder. I have had 43 screened emails since yesterday afternoon and not a single one of those was from this forum. I don't know what the heck is going on, but it's certainly strange!

aron

The ISP filtering is even before you access your ATT.net even online. They filter it before it hits any mailboxes. The only strange thing is that I am not getting bounce backs from them.

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe only strange thing is that I am not getting bounce backs from them.

Yeah, that is kinda fishy. I don't get it. It's like the forum software thinks it's sending out emails but it isn't...

aron

aron

aron

aron

aron

aron

vanhansen

Paul, get the IP address that is associated with diystompboxes.com from Aron and ask ATT if they are blocking that IP for some reason, or any other IP's within that same address range.  That definitely appears to be the problem.
Erik

Paul Marossy

Quote from: vanhansen on October 05, 2005, 08:51:51 PM
Paul, get the IP address that is associated with diystompboxes.com from Aron and ask ATT if they are blocking that IP for some reason, or any other IP's within that same address range.  That definitely appears to be the problem.

It would seem to be...

EDIT: A copy of those emails are supposed to be going to my att.net email address, too, but they apparently never make it. This is odd, because I have my spam filter turned off and if AT&T did think those email notifications were spam, I should now be getting them. I guess I'll have to get with AT&T on this. FWIW, this would be the first time in 5 years (or more) that anything like this happened when it shouldn't be happening...

Paul Marossy

OK, I promise I will stop bringing this up after this post. AT&T is stopping those emails before they get to me. I tried sending an email to my AT&T email address from my diystompboxes.com email address and I got this message back... check this out:

So the question I am left with is are there a bunch of shysters (sp?) using this forum server to send out a bunch of spam? I wonder... In any case, very interesting - I've never ever had any problems like this with AT&T until this forum moved. Well, at least now I know what is happening.  :icon_frown:

EDIT: And I tried sending an email to a different AT&T email address that I have which does not have any spam blocking available, and I get the same message as above. There's some bad juju associated with this forum's IP address or something...  :icon_eek:

vanhansen

Ah ha, just as I suspected.  AT&T blacklisted this server.  I wonder if they blacklisted the entire ISP's octet range (IP address range) or if they just blacklisted the IP that diystompboxes.com has, which may have been associated with a now offline domain that they blacklisted in the past.  A quick call in to their support line should give an answer.

You may be able to convince them to allow mail from Aron's domain only.  They should be able to add an exception to the list.
Erik

Paul Marossy

Quote from: vanhansen on October 06, 2005, 09:55:44 AM
Ah ha, just as I suspected.  AT&T blacklisted this server.  I wonder if they blacklisted the entire ISP's octet range (IP address range) or if they just blacklisted the IP that diystompboxes.com has, which may have been associated with a now offline domain that they blacklisted in the past.  A quick call in to their support line should give an answer.

You may be able to convince them to allow mail from Aron's domain only.  They should be able to add an exception to the list.

It sucks, but yeah, I guess that's what I'll have to do. I was just thinking that this morning...

EDIT: An email has been sent to AT&T about this. Hopefully they will take this IP address off of their blacklist!