DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

I don't think I uderstood first part. Can you explain more. No problem for changing colors...
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

stm

OK, I'll try to make the general idea clearer.

Currently there is a single "page" or "view" or "window" where the Project Title, the Layout or Board, and the Parts List are organized together (from top to bottom).  This poses some problems, which are:

1) When the Layout and/or number of parts in the Parts List grow, the Parts List is not visible entirely as it grows below the bottom of the screen (I use 1024x768 screen resolution).

2) If you want to place the external components and wiring, like Pots and Jacks, it is not possible to place them above the Board since they will overlap with the Project Title, and not possible to place them below the Board as they will overlap with the Parts Pist.

A way of avoiding these problems could be to have two different "views" or "pages", one for the Layout or Board alone (centered on the screen so external parts can be added around), and another view with the Project Title and Parts List.

P.D.  I don't feel very comfortable suggesting this as I understand this might represent a lot of modifications to the SW.

bancika

I know that something should be done about visibility with large projects, but I'm not sure if it's the best solution...will think about it
Tnx

ezanker

A second option for visibility would be to make the main panel scrollable and then provide the user with the ability to change the spacing between title and board and between board and parts list.

Again, depending on how the code is written, this could be major surgery...
Erik

bancika

well, we're one step closer to it. I'm uploading new version that features scrollable work area  :icon_mrgreen:

Roobin

bancika, how quickly do you work?

I'm not sure if the idea of seperate panels or windows would work so well... one reason why DIYLC is easy to use is that it is contained in one screen. No menus, no hassle. I think the scrollable work area solves the problem of overcrowding, without making it tedious to use. Just tested it it - brilliant. Perhaps scrollable parts list at the side?

BTW how has the file size shrunk?????

bancika

Well, I removed wingdings font that was previously included in installation. I realized that most users do have it. Now program checks for font anf if it's not installed it tells user to install it. Without it those buttons in explorer won't be displayed correctly.

bancika

Hi fellas, new version is up.
I change few minor bugs, added jacks and reorganized menus. It had to be done because left panel was getting overcrowded with all these components. I hate when scroll bar appears in menu  :icon_twisted:
What do you think about jacks? I thing it's enough to have only two possible orientations cause most of us will use them and it made jack placement very easy, only one click.
What do you think?
Cheers

choklitlove

jacks are a nice addition.  however, i would definitely connect the blue parts to the sleeve, etc. so people can tell the corresponding connections.  the order of the solder holes differ from jack to jack, so if it's not too difficult.  either that, or color them accordingly, like this:

i don't know.  just something.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

bancika

Great idea (coloring), at first I made it like your first suggested. And it was ok only for mono, but stereo looked like crap because all blue lines were intersecting and stuff...Ill put two colors then..
Cheers

pyrop

Hi Bancika,
This program is getting better and better. The jacks are a great addition and its a good idea colouring each part.
One thing can i suggest? is changing the default values for resistor & caps as most resistor values we use are in the "K" range and most of the caps used are listed as "uF".
Just a suggestion.

Thanks
pyrop ;D

bancika

Sure, I'll change default units
Next addition is tube sockets...
Tnx

MikeH

Maybe it's my setup here, but when I select the "print pnp" option I just get a blank sheet of paper.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

bancika

yeah, some users have problem with printing...I don't have a clue at the moment.

help heeded, I'm making tube socket but gives me real PITA. How should I align pins to 2.54mm grid with noval tube? Any ideas? I guess you can't use PCB mounting tube socket with board that's grid-drilled  :icon_twisted:

MikeH

Yeah, that sounds like a mathematical impossibility to me.  9 pins on a grid fits like a round peg in a square hole
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

bancika

I finished them. Lugs are not forming perfect circle, but it's impossible anyway :)
Also, I changed jack design a bit, now elements are colored differently.
Uploading new version...

pyrop

Quote from: bancika on October 05, 2006, 08:36:17 PM
I finished them. Lugs are not forming perfect circle, but it's impossible anyway :)
Also, I changed jack design a bit, now elements are colored differently.
Uploading new version...
Beat me to it. was thinking something like this

pyrop ;D

RLBJR65

Great additions!

The project and edit drop down menus at the bottom do not work for me. Toolbox, help and donation work okay though.

Richard
Richard Boop

choklitlove

Awesome!  i just used the wire for the first time.  my favorite feature so far!!!

actually, i think i suggested it...
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.