Vanishing point V2.1 1590b sized PCB layout and some audio FX layouts.

Started by nelson, July 09, 2006, 01:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Quote from: mojotron on July 10, 2006, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: The Tone God on July 10, 2006, 02:16:32 PM
Quote from: nelson on July 09, 2006, 08:19:48 PM
For the sake of one wire, I think I will change it. Your quite right again. I forgot to take the opto LED path to ground into account....

:icon_mad:

Sorry. I know its a pain but it would make for a cleaner functioning circuit. Thanks. :)

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on July 10, 2006, 06:37:20 AM
What all is this pedal supposed to do? Haven't been able to figure this one out yet...

Its really two parts. One is control logic and the other is the audio. It allows you to use multiple pots to control a parameter then step through each control pot in sequence. If talking about a wah think of it like have a bunch of wah pedals with the rocker set at different levels then having the ability to turn each one on and off in sequence.

Andrew
The cool thing is that, although there are some products out there that are similar to this that use wah and trem audio as the audio function being acted on, you could apply the idea for any audio circuit really. Imagine a sequenced; distortion/trem|wah combo, flang|chorus (although it might get a little messy timewise), even a fuzz would work.

For those looking for the "not your fathers XXX effect" this is an idea that is immensely interesting.

Another interesting idea is to be able to apply the sequence to several different settings... For instance, assuming like a trem/distortion combo, perhaps set the sequence of pots for one setting like distortion (assuming something like a Guv'nor where the gain setting does not mess too much with the volume...) "gain" - store those settings, then set the sequence for the trem "depth" setting and have a foot switch to move between the 2. But, then again, without 2 sets of pots - this idea moves into uC land pretty quickly though. Just an idea - perhaps for the future - this can get a little crazy if you have ever tried something like this. 

Paul and Andrew thanks again - is there an update to the layout?

I still have to update the layouts to include an extra control current wire to and from the sequencer and audio circuits.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

KB

Thank you very much. 

I have just finished breadboarding the Vanishing point V2.1 and finally got it to work after many hours. :icon_redface:

And now you do this to me............... :icon_rolleyes:  its just not fair  :icon_lol:

Another one to add to the growing list of Nelson's layouts too-build.

thanks Nelson, really appreciate the effort, I would not know where to start laying this on out.

Kevin

Floyd Pepper

Thanks Nelson.  I've been hoping this would come along for a while now.   ;D

goodrevdoc

Pots and other parts ordered. :icon_biggrin: Gonna give it a try. Gonna go for the colorsound type board but would really love to do a bassballs. All i have is a BB sized box but I'll still do pics and try for sound if i succeed. Really awesome layout nelson.
QuoteI still have to update the layouts to include an extra control current wire to and from the sequencer and audio circuits.
Is this update posted yet?
-justin

goodrevdoc

Etched and mostly populated boards today. Couple of things. On the control board, The right most transistor is missing a connection from the emitter to ground on the PNP Xfer. It is on the cyan colored parts placement guid. I meant to fix it before i etched, but forgot. Insted i just bent the emmiter leg over and soldered to ground. Then i coated it with some liquid electrical tape so no shorts screw me up. Also did the talking board and the trem board. On the trem board, the leftmost 100K resistor should be connected to ground, instead of the right one. This is part of the res network to provide pin 3 with Vref, yes? Also changed .68 input and output caps on the trem to 1uf as this effect will be mainly for bass. Pots should be here tomorrow so i will wire it up then see...
-justin

nelson

I will update the add on layouts to include the corrections you noticed.

Also, I havent updated the layout for the return CC wire.

I have been busy and will get round to updating the Project file.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

:)

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

markusw

coool  8)

thanks a lot!

slightly OT: how hard would it be to include a sequence speed tap switch??

Markus

The Tone God

Quote from: markusw on July 18, 2006, 01:47:58 AM

Very hard. No one to my knowledge has made an analog or discreet tap tempo system. I would image it would take up alot of space if it were to be made. This is something that a uC would be much more suited for.

Andrew

markusw

Quote from: The Tone God on July 18, 2006, 01:55:02 AM
Quote from: markusw on July 18, 2006, 01:47:58 AM

Very hard. No one to my knowledge has made an analog or discreet tap tempo system. I would image it would take up alot of space if it were to be made. This is something that a uC would be much more suited for.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your clarification!

Suppose you know this one

http://cusackmusic.com/images/normal/TapTempoBoard2.jpg

Don't know what components are used though.

Markus

The Tone God

Quote from: markusw on July 18, 2006, 02:06:43 AM
Hi Andrew,

Yep. PIC Microcontroller. Probably a 12F673 or similar. I have my theories as to how it works.

Andrew

markusw

QuoteYep. PIC Microcontroller. Probably a 12F673 or similar. I have my theories as to how it works.

Andrew

In my ingenuousness I was hoping it might be just an opamp....

Markus

The Tone God

Quote from: markusw on July 18, 2006, 02:23:41 AM
In my ingenuousness I was hoping it might be just an opamp....

I wish that too but alas this is fair too complicated to do with just an opamp. This is really something uCs are good for.

Andrew

goodrevdoc

Quote from: nelson on July 18, 2006, 12:51:46 AM
I will update the add on layouts to include the corrections you noticed.

Also, I havent updated the layout for the return CC wire.

Yeah, I'm still thinking how to kludge that extra transistor in. I can manage something probably. Any thoughts on that resistor value? Its prob in the VP2.1 article, which i'll read over yet again, but just in case, any thoughts? Also, have you thought about sapcing the pots out just a tad wider to be able to include knobs? Looking at the layout, it doesnt seem to hard to slide the speed knob over and space out the rest, IMHO that would be truly remarkable. I was wondering, since i made two audio boards, is it possible to switch between them. I had thought about an SPDT for the CC wire, but the the guitar signal is still going through both effects whilst one is turned off. Then i thought about a DPDT for the guitar signal, to route it to each repective effect, but then the CC wire will go to two diff LED's and might not work right. I have nothing but switches and time right now, so i will go DPDT first, I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this...
Quote from: The Tone God on July 18, 2006, 02:13:32 AM
Quote from: markusw on July 18, 2006, 02:06:43 AM
Hi Andrew,

Yep. PIC Microcontroller. Probably a 12F673 or similar. I have my theories as to how it works.

Andrew
Just read this yesterday. Pretty freakin cool! I wonder if they'll do it to my Vanishing Point? For $125, I might assume so... But that's just me...
-justin

The Tone God

Quote from: goodrevdoc on July 18, 2006, 03:21:26 AM
Just read this yesterday. Pretty freakin cool! I wonder if they'll do it to my Vanishing Point? For $125, I might assume so... But that's just me...

I doubt it. First off it should be made clear that my designs, Vanishing Point included, are original circuits that I design from scratch involving no reverse engineering of other products. I do not know if what I designed is similar to other designs, nor do I really care (no offense to other designers ;)), so it is not known if the method of operation is the same therefore mods available for a similar behavior circuit cannot be assured to work.

That being said I do not think Mr. Cusak would be interested in modifying a unknown circuit that he would be unable to support but that would be my theory.

Andrew

goodrevdoc

goodrevdoc

Built but not yet functioning... The first and last LED's (1 &8) stay lit, and no matter what i do with the switches they stay that way. Gonna go about the normal debug process but just wondered if anyone had any ideas on this? Worth mentioning, the audio portion is not yet connected. Don't know if this makes a difference, but I will also try that too.
-justin

dv8

Nelson:

What did you use for the 4 trannys on the main board?

I see 3 CBEs (assume 2n5088) and one BEC.

just curious.

-brian

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Tuemmueh

Anybody got it working?! I just compared it to the VP 2.1 schem and had some problems because there are some differences ... Just wondering.

calculating_infinity

Dear lord how did I miss this thread!  Thanks nelson!  :icon_biggrin: This is a MUST build for me.  Woo

-Jonatahn