Vanishing point V2.1 1590b sized PCB layout and some audio FX layouts.

Started by nelson, July 09, 2006, 01:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobyjd

So it looks like I'll finally be gearing up to work on this project--and I have some points where I need some clarification:

1. It appears that there are some connections on the board that need to have common connections--specifically the underlined letters. Is this correct?

2. What purpose is the clock/manual switch supposed to serve? Can someone please explain its function?

3. Regarding the clock/manual toggle--will it function correctly as diagrammed in the layout, or is it preferable to make the 2-to ground connection?

4. It appears that the rightmost transistor's emitter now has a trace to ground on the pcb, and no further modifications are necessary regarding this transistor. Is this correct?

5. It appears that a trace cut is necessary to detach "CC" from the rightmost pot's connection, then those two points should serve to connect to the LED side of the optoisolator. Is this correct?

Thanks for any inputs you guys have--these clarifications should cover my needs for now until I actually get this circuit rolling.

Thanks,

-Josh
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

jacobyjd

Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

orangetones

I have a schematic for a version of this that has IMO a better random mode.  I never could get a good random out of the VP2.1.

The only thing is that the VP2.1 turns of momentarily between stages in the random mode which sounds better than the random mode on this other version I have.

Maybe I could post the shemo and we could work out how to get the random mode of this one I have to stutter slightly like the VP2.1 does.

I just think the VP2.1 random is not really random enough for me.  Seems to choose one stage very often on my breadboard.

Cheers,

Steve

The Tone God

I haven't built from this board so I can only comment on the design aspect.

Quote from: jacobyjd on February 19, 2009, 12:20:51 AM
2. What purpose is the clock/manual switch supposed to serve? Can someone please explain its function?

The function here is that you either have the stages incremented by the internal clock or you can increment them yourself manual meaning you tap the switch and the stage increments. You can then manage the settings so its like a series of presets that you switch through. Some people like to have presets on their effects like wahs and ring modulators.

Quote from: orangetones on February 19, 2009, 02:49:23 PM
Maybe I could post the shemo and we could work out how to get the random mode of this one I have to stutter slightly like the VP2.1 does.

The random mode does need some tweaking due to variations in parts but once people get them tuned in they find its great. I almost put in trimpots in to make it easier to tune but decided not to. Maybe I should have now.

If you have a better random circuit I would be willing to look at it to help out trying to integrate it to the current design.

Things will be so much easier and better with VP v3.0. ;)

Andrew

donald stringer

So I believe I understand its function now. If the parameter of the part. effect you are controlling has 100k pots all 8 pots would be 100k right? If you put the trimmer pots on the board you adjust the vr. of that 100k pot to a certain extent.
troublerat

chilecocula

I built the vanishing point 2.1 with the wah circuit of this project  and used 100k pots. Everything works ok but i found that the sweep of the wah is limited to the last quarter of rotation of the pot, everything above sounds the same. I tried reducing the maximum resistance with resistors across the pot but i didn't hear any audible diference. Should i try smaller pots to improve the effect?
in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed

Taylor

I'd like to use the VP to control a Tremulus Lune, but instead of replacing the LFO with the VP, I want to use the VP to control the LFO's speed. Is this just as simple as modulating an LED with the VP and swapping the speed pot in the Lune with an LDR?