Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipper_71

Here's my stab at this ... not exactly minimalist!  :D

Right hand footswitch is a momentary, left hand toggles between the two delay time pots.

YouAre

Quote from: MarcoMike on July 02, 2011, 04:54:03 AM
Hi, I am finally building one of these... but as I am not familiar at all with cmos switching I decided to go the hard-way....

and it seems all features of the original echo base are still unchanged, as the tails-option. and more, as in the configuration I am presenting, also a third mode is present, this is how I would describe them:

tails: no need to explain
direct: both "delay out" and "feed" are switched on at the same time. this way the delayed signal starts to generate when you switch the effect on
flashback mode: the feed of the delay is always on, so as you engage the pedal there is already something being delayed. and this is probably the same as in the original echo base.

so the 2nd mode is the new feature, no big deal. the great thing for me is no need for cmos switching!

* i didn't read the whole post, so all of this might already be known...

Juuuuust to make sure we're on the same page here, It seems that the way the switch is setup right now, it's in Flashback mode, correct? Because the input is feeding into the delay, but the output of the delay is disconnected (if we were to be in bypass). Am I correct?

slacker

That's what it looks like to me. The middle position of S1 is direct and the bottom position is tails.

floboe

So I just finished my first echo base, which was also my first ever build, and I must say that it is one sweet sounding delay!

I initially had some problems with the feedback pot, it didn't really do anything, and if it was turned all the way down, something would short in the potmeter.
I traced the fault back to a missing cut on the strip board, which meant that the feedback CCW was connected directly to +9V.

Other than that, the build actually worked pretty well, I had to change the feedback resistor value to 100K, at 20K and 37K it was either no feedback or selfoscillation madness, no middle ground.

Now I just need to cram it into a enclosure, unfortunately, the pots I ordered are waaay to big for the enclosure, so that will be a project for next week.

Thanks for a great design slacker!

squigglefunk

Hi there,

I was getting ready to put one of these together, but I noticed the file I used to etch my board is different than the link on here.

This is the one I used:

so is this layout still useable or are the errors on it?

here's the one I saw on the link

another question:

any reason the 7805 voltage regulator isn't listed on parts list? I ordered the parts and missed it on the layout. Oooops!

poodlebra

just built one on dimebugg's pcb and got nada.  ???

1.06 v measured from +9v to GND. something's eating that there V up! etch another, start again....
Quality, cheap pedal parts, because the Poodle cares.
Germanium cans and diodes, PCBs, Full Stompbox Kits, UK's cheapest 3PDT:
http://www.pedalparts.co.uk/

slacker

Quote from: squigglefunk on August 05, 2011, 09:58:37 AM
I was getting ready to put one of these together, but I noticed the file I used to etch my board is different than the link on here.

As far as I know that layout is fine, the other one by the same guy is just a bit smaller.

any reason the 7805 voltage regulator isn't listed on parts list? I ordered the parts and missed it on the layout. Oooops!

Just a mistake I guess, it ain't going to work without it :)

squigglefunk

thanks slacker, I appreciate your feedback, I can snag a 7805 at the local rat shack prob.

thanks, I'll let you know how I make out  :)

deadastronaut

@sqigglefunk:  i built the top layout, it worked fine.... :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

husc

Hi everyone! I am building my second echobase and this time I want to leave out the tails switch. I never use it on my first build.

Can anybody tell me how to jumper the 'tails' section of the pcb, so I have tails always on. Thank you.

deadastronaut

middle pad and left pad jumpered i would think....... :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

slacker

Sounds right to me, you want the jumper connecting the centre pad to the trace going to pin 13 of CD4066.

husc

askwho69

Here's another question about tail switch.. i tried using the tails then turn the effect off.. my question is if the tail is on and the pedal is bypass/off is there delay even its bypassed/off?

thats what im getting  ???
"To live is to die"

~arph

Yes, that is the function of tails. In tails mode, the delays fade out naturally and no new delays are created. In boss mode the delays stop immediately when switched off.
That is the only thinkg the tails/boss switch is for: delays or no delays after switching off. (therefore the echo base is not true bypass either)

Scruffie

Quote from: ~arph on August 25, 2011, 01:37:59 AM
Yes, that is the function of tails. In tails mode, the delays fade out naturally and no new delays are created. In boss mode the delays stop immediately when switched off.
That is the only thinkg the tails/boss switch is for: delays or no delays after switching off. (therefore the echo base is not true bypass either)
I'm not sure if he means he's getting bleed through though... in which case that isn't right.

askwho69

O my gosh.. mine is something wrong on it.. thanks for the reply mate really help :D gona check my tails/boss maybe there is bad happening there..
"To live is to die"

askwho69

Quote from: Scruffie on August 25, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
I'm not sure if he means he's getting bleed through though... in which case that isn't right.

yes scruff my tails is acting as bypass lol! im not sure why? maybe i was using on/off/on dpdt.. that's all i have in hand ... but it doesnt matter about the switch i think?
"To live is to die"

slacker

If you use an on-off-on switch the off position will disable the bypass and you will get delays all the time. The on positions should work fine. If you are getting delay all the time it sounds like a problem with the switch or the wiring to it.

askwho69

Ohh gonna check it now thanks A lot! :icon_razz:
"To live is to die"