Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabribisco

Hi guys, thank you for this awesome forum...I made the echo base true bypass following this layout ( http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/slackers-stuff/album170/echobasebutchered.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1 ) and I have a problem : the sound coming out is too low and the level pot at maximum let the pedal self-oscillate .  ???
I am wondering if the layout is correct ... anyone can help me?
Sorry for my english...
Thank you again

gabribisco

P.s. with line signal the effect is working....

slacker

The layout is correct. I would check all the connections and the wiring of the level pot, the level pot at maximum should not make the pedal self oscillate.

Your English is fine :)

gabribisco

I double-checked everything... I try to substitute all the ics and the transistors ... I checked also the wiring of the pots and off-board one..
I can't understand why is so low volume with guitar signal...seems too be a simple thing to fix but  can't find it out...
Thank you

slacker

Check the values of R1, R2,  R3, R4, R5 and R6, if one of those was wrong it could make the volume lower.

gabribisco

I have just checked and it's all ok ... the values and the positions... c2, c3 , c5 , c21,c8 and c9 are ceramic caps... Can be a problem?

slacker

Ceramic caps are fine. Is it just the level of the delays that is too low or the level of the whole pedal?

gabribisco

The level of the pedal...if, with my finger, I touch r3 for example, I can hear clearly the dry and the wet signal ...and all the pots work correctly

slacker

Have you got the grounds connected correctly? A wire should go from where it says ground on the layout to the DC jack or black battery wire. The sleeve connections of the input and output jacks should also be connected to ground.

slacker

It's the thread's fourth birthday, help yourselves to cake :)

gabribisco

Happy birthday thread!
The ground connections are correctly wired.... today I found that if I connect the right part of c1 to the upper part of r4 the volume of the effect goes up..the problem is that the repeats are higher than the dry signal. The level pot , as I turn it left, still works as the feedback one...
I can't understand...
Thank you very much..

Taylor

Quote from: slacker on August 27, 2011, 07:56:03 AM
It's the thread's fourth birthday, help yourselves to cake :)

Congrats slacker! There are more Echo Bases out there on people's pedal boards than many famous boutique pedals. I've brought my own vegan brownies to celebrate.  :P ;D

askwho69

Wow! nice :D For the best Delay with the best designer :D
"To live is to die"

forsakenrider

What enclosure is this one? I'd love to do something similar!

Quote from: kipper_71 on July 10, 2011, 03:26:52 PM
Here's my stab at this ... not exactly minimalist!  :D

Right hand footswitch is a momentary, left hand toggles between the two delay time pots.

Taylor

Quote from: forsakenrider on August 28, 2011, 11:15:25 AM
What enclosure is this one? I'd love to do something similar!

It looks like a 1590DD.

deadastronaut

belated birthday wishes....this truly is a brilliant delay.....i love mine...thanks ian. :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

guitarmageddon

Happy Birthday! ;D

Here's mine, a Colorsound supa-sustainer, into a para-mix loop blender followed by the Echo Base, (though it's controls are layed out with the EB center).
I call it the' Rosenwinkel' as, with my D'Aquisto archtop and a (homebrew) Rat in the loop, I can aproximate those glorious Kurt Rosenwinkel type tones.

Echo Base board is at the bottom, not really visable. :icon_redface:

Jerem

I'm confuse because on the schematic R28 (27k) is between W+CCW 1M speed pot and pin 2 of IC1 while on the stripboard layout R28 is between CW speed pot and pin 7 of IC1. Are this 2 different connection are ok for the LFO speed?

slacker

Yes the two different connections are fine. They are electronically the same, you get a maximum resistance of 1,027k and a minimum resistance of 27k either way, the electrons don't care which order the components are in.
I probably drew the schematic first and then found it was easier to put them the other way round on the layout, I never noticed they didn't match, good spot :)