Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

check out my dr boogey (devil distortion)...with glowing eyes... :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

punkin

Very cool sounds. Pedal looks great too. Currious what the circuit for those reactive LED's looks like. Care to post a schematic?

BTW checked out your phrygian jam...damn tasty.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

deeleyer

My second batch of mini-pedals:

From left to right:

- DOD280 Compressor, Tonepad PCB, no need to resize.
- Rat, Tonepad PCB, no need to resize.
- VM Fuzz (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=65251.0)
- Fuzz Face NPN (with a pair of NPN Germanium transistors from Smallbear)

In the bench: Frequency Central's Pentaboost with charge pump to 35v. Almost done  ;)

solderman

Quote from: deeleyer on December 17, 2009, 11:02:41 AM
My second batch of mini-pedals:

From left to right:

- DOD280 Compressor, Tonepad PCB, no need to resize.
- Rat, Tonepad PCB, no need to resize.
- VM Fuzz (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=65251.0)
- Fuzz Face NPN (with a pair of NPN Germanium transistors from Smallbear)

In the bench: Frequency Central's Pentaboost with charge pump to 35v. Almost done  ;)

Hi
Really impressive. Nice and clean layouts and a super tight job inside. The off white colour is nice.
I am Looking forward to see the Pentaboost.   
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

deeleyer

Thank you solderman, your designs have always been very inspiring for me.
If you think my last pedals are tight... you have to see the pentaboost... there's no room for anything else  :P

Processaurus

Quote from: jmwreck on August 18, 2009, 10:07:00 AM

Excellent!  Those are my new favorite knobs, I was wondering if you knew where to buy some?

gena_p1

Some small classic pedals

TS - screamer
Rat
Muff

solderman

Its really inspiring to see so much energy and creativity put in to the 1590 box style. So many high quality builds.

www.soldersound.com

deeleyer

Quote from: gena_p1 on December 20, 2009, 03:06:27 PM
Some small classic pedals

TS - screamer
Rat
Muff

They are great!!!
What pcb did you use on TS and BigMuff? Standard?
I want to build those two in the future but stardard pcb doesn't fit on 1590A enclosures...

gena_p1

example of big muff's PCB was in one of my previous posts.
These muffs have special PCB with film caps and button soldered in.

Pots are green alpha 9mm.

My dream is to make Small Clone in 1590A. It's really hard, even with surface mounted resistors and chips (caps always film)

solderman

Quote from: gena_p1 on December 21, 2009, 06:56:15 AM

My dream is to make Small Clone in 1590A. It's really hard, even with surface mounted resistors and chips (caps always film)

Hi Stepashka
Don't Dream about it, Do it. By the looks of your earlier work I can tell you have it in you.
I agree that it will be a hard nut to crack but that's the fun part and the challenge to take on.

If you're only looking for the Small Clone sound in a 1590a the Zobie Chorus is the answer. It sounds just like the Small Clone but can get deeper and more "Lesley" and is more versatile.
Here is a YouTube clip from a Spanish guy. (I think I don't speak Spanish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ9Z6qdjzAE

BTW he used my layout witch makes me very glad since I think spreading information is the whole idée with the Net.

http://www.guitarristas.info/foro/f13/construccion-de-zombie-chorus-suena-serio-64946/

I don't understand what they are talking about but I hope its nice things. I tried to use Google translate but that only rendered words without any meaningful context.

If you still want to shrink the Small Clone I think that is doable without using surface mount (that's cheating  :D) if you use those small "blue caps" and all resistrors standing.

This is my Never Mind Zombie Chorus. It has the same amount and size of IC:s, including 2 pots and 1 switches and a lot of free space for the additional 15 resistors and 10 caps in the Small Clone.  ;)

www.soldersound.com

gena_p1

Nevermind is fine :)   And it's containing no SM elements, that is great!

But Zombie is far away from Small Clone.
I did 5 or 6 Zombie choruses with several mods (declicking , declipping (no volume clipping with humbakers), CE-2 + Leslie.
With different CD4046s manufacturers it's sound different.

Small Clone having std. EHX VCO, which sounds deeper, than zombie, and small clone having no problems with volume clipping.
To sound deeper, zombie's VCO needs recalculating  (LFO + VCO would be closer to Hollis Ultra"flanger" ) , also it need 2nd filter (for vintage sound). 
I tested zombie based stand with filters from Boss DM-2 delay . Sounds fantastic! (but I tried several VCOs and LFOs).

But, Small Clone is classic! :)

solderman

So you're out of options then. Only thing left is to start layoting to make your dream come true :D

When I compare my Zombie to my Tonepad Small Clone, with depth and speed mod, the zombie is 90% true but, yes I agree, that the Small Clone has a slight deeper and classier tone. But most important, it's dead quiet. My Zombie do not suffer from ticking or any LFO noise or volume issues with HB but it has a low "pink noise" type of sound to it that is enjoying when put in front of a dist pedal. Most painful with both (and a almost all other BBD type of builds) is that the 3007 is so ridiculously expensive.

It sound different with different CD4046s manufacturers?? I have to try that and some other mods. Think I have to set up a Zombie "test bench". Thanks' for the tip.

Happy New year
Gott nytt år

www.soldersound.com

blue on blue

Here's my latest - Dragonfly's Simple Clipper.  Haven't had much time to really try it out, but initial impressions are good when played through my Blues Jr. 

jkokura

My first offering - the uSHO! It was a tight fit, but I think I could get used to squeezing things in these types of boxes... It would be easier for a pedal I didn't want a switch on - maybe a compressor or eQ that I want 'always on. I don't like Jacks on the side though, so perhaps I won't use 1590A's often...

Top is off white, sides are black. Paint's not excellent, but it works and looks alright.

Next time I use one of these I'll try putting the switch right at the end, with the LED right next to it and the DC jack just above it. That would give me more room I think. Also, I bet I could eliminate the Stereo input jack cause there's not battery...

Jacob

solderman

Quote from: jkokura on January 12, 2010, 04:18:48 PM
My first offering - the uSHO! It was a tight fit, but I think I could get used to squeezing things in these types of boxes... It would be easier for a pedal I didn't want a switch on - maybe a compressor or eQ that I want 'always on. I don't like Jacks on the side though, so perhaps I won't use 1590A's often...

Next time I use one of these I'll try putting the switch right at the end, with the LED right next to it and the DC jack just above it. That would give me more room I think. Also, I bet I could eliminate the Stereo input jack cause there's not battery...

Jacob
Hi
A really nice build. It's amazing how much you can fit in these boxes with a bit of fantasy and ingenuity.
I, myself, try to loose as much connection wires as possible since they tend to tangle themselves in to things and take a lot more space than you might think. My approach is to divide the box in to two horizontal layers. The type of box I use is 27.50 mm [1.083] (Inner Box Height). http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/27969PSLA.pdf

The mechanics (jack, Pot, DC jack) gets 16 mm. (since 16 mm is the smallest jack I have found unless Mr. Dremel gets his way with the it) and the PCB and components gets 11,5 mm. A tricky part is to arrange the high components so they don't collide with the jacks. 9 mm post makes life easier even though they are more expensive.

www.soldersound.com

azrael

New fuzz pedal for meh: Colorsound One Knob Fuzz

bigandtall

I'm working my way through the photos, but has anyone fit two effects in one enclosure?

I have a bazz fuzz and a tiny booster that I'd like to try and fit into the same enclosure.

The real challenge is two footswitches.

Mugshot

Quote from: bigandtall on January 27, 2010, 06:00:58 PM
I'm working my way through the photos, but has anyone fit two effects in one enclosure?

I have a bazz fuzz and a tiny booster that I'd like to try and fit into the same enclosure.

The real challenge is two footswitches.

it can be done. however, slamming the BF with a booster will only result to noise, especially with bad cables. if you plan to boost/amplify the fuzzed signal i think that'll give you less problems.

wiring the 3pdt for two effects in one box is quite easy. maybe somebody can come up with a doodle how to wire them. :D
i am what i am, so are you.

jkokura

I think 2 3PDT's and 2 jacks and a power jack would be very, very, very challenging in itself. If you did it, perhaps Rick would have to hand his cyborg title over to you.

Jacob