Feedback Looper/FX Oscillator: FINISHED!

Started by johnnysomersett, July 30, 2009, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnysomersett

Well, thanks to a little bit of help on here and over at offsetguitars, I finished my newest pedal tonight:

It's my Feedback Looper/FX Oscillator. Built using my own schematic. I tried the Beavis Audio Research one, plus another, and didn't get on with them, so I started from scratch and designed & built this.

It's not so much a 'bypass looper' as the guitar always goes through the FX pedals in the loop, the switch on the box controlls the signal feedback into the pedal...the pedal you have in the loops needs to be switched on or off by its own switch. This is perfect for delays as you can switch the delay on and bring your feedback in as you want to, like most other loopers BUT, the big difference with my design is that when you switch off the feedback line, it doesnt just cut off the chaos abruptly, it feeds the delay (or whatever effect) the last little bit and thus dies off naturally back into the standard effect!!

I also added in an Expression input so you can set the maximum feedback level on the dial then draw it in or out with an expression pedal.

Ill try & get a demo up at some point so you can hear it, it sounds real good, and the natural tail-off of the feedback is blowing my mind!

newfish

Wow!

Any chance of an inside / schematic shot?

Can't wait to hear this...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

johnnysomersett

Quote from: newfish on July 30, 2009, 05:05:44 PM
Wow!

Any chance of an inside / schematic shot?

Can't wait to hear this...

Im had it posted before in another thread for an hour or two but Ive taken it down. It sounds silly but, it works SO well, I'm tempted to market it somehow (no idea how yet hahah, but just in case)

Im gonna try & get a demo up tomorrow or next monday as my gf won tickets to a rock festival this weekend  ;D

newfish

Fair play.

It's your blood, sweat and flux that have gone into this box.

Good luck with this.  Enjoy the festival.

...sound clips or it didn't happen though...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

bumblebee

Ya'll dont need a schem for this, its just a passive feedback looper.

jalien21

ppatchmods

i pulled some of those knobs off of an old PA head fromt he 60's/70's. they rock and they were free  ;D
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

johnnysomersett

Yeh, I have a little stash of these knobs, they're only good for 1-knob FX (or REALLY big ones lol)

johnnysomersett

You know what, ****-it, I can't be bothered to do anything with the schematic, you can have it:

Spread the love....

** Funnily enough, it's quite dependant on what FX you put into it. My BBE Two-Timer works ace with it, yet my Malekko 600D does absolutely nothing with it!

ppatchmods

did you wire your expression jack: switch to jack/jack to pot with a TRS jack? Just for kicks, you should try a peep(devi evers photo lens expression) in the exp jack...i'm sure it would be madness with this setup!

The French connection

Good job! But the pot being always in your signal path is'nt sucking your level (or tone) a bit? With a 3PDT as on Beavis, you can bypass the whole thing...no passive ''sawcker'' in the signal path. Am i wrong?

Dan
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

johnnysomersett

Quote from: The French connection on July 31, 2009, 11:57:04 AM
Good job! But the pot being always in your signal path is'nt sucking your level (or tone) a bit? With a 3PDT as on Beavis, you can bypass the whole thing...no passive ''sawcker'' in the signal path. Am i wrong?

Dan

Not that I can tell, when 'off' the pot isn't in the circuit

The French connection

Really! If i follow the signal from the input through the blue wire to lug 2 of the pot and to the switch, i've got the feeling it is always there. Simple check, when off turn the pot and see what happen. I've got the feeling i'm wrong...please someone tell me i'm crosseyed today. :P
Nice looper anyway!

Cheers!

Dan
My picture files:

johnnysomersett

Quote from: The French connection on July 31, 2009, 12:48:15 PM
Really! If i follow the signal from the input through the blue wire to lug 2 of the pot and to the switch, i've got the feeling it is always there. Simple check, when off turn the pot and see what happen. I've got the feeling i'm wrong...please someone tell me i'm crosseyed today. :P
Nice looper anyway!

Cheers!

Dan

The blue wire is travelling from the pot TO the 'SEND' jack, the switch only severs the feed TO the pot and just sends it straight to the 'OUT' jack. It's a really simple schematic but works really really well.

You're following the blue wire the wrong way

The whole pedal works as if it was a switchable pot in the existing pedal, not as a true bypass seperate

thereverend

seems like a waste of a dc jack to power a single led.
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...

AndrewCE

ppatchmods

I understand the points you all are making, but just give the guy a break! It's a cool box no matter what we say. Nice work man!  ;)

Paul Marossy

Looks nice. I have come to like black with gold or silver hand lettering these days.

The French connection

Quote from: johnnysomersett on July 31, 2009, 01:22:16 PM
You're following the blue wire the wrong way

That must be that! :icon_wink: Good job! I dig the mate finish.

Quote from: thereverend on July 31, 2009, 01:52:21 PM

At least it's green compare to battery! :P

Dan
My picture files:

frokost

Quote from: thereverend on July 31, 2009, 01:52:21 PM

That depends. I, for one, don't want any batteries on my pedalboard. Consistency is a key word. Other people don't mind, though. One jack is a small price to pay to not have to worry about batteries.

Nice box, by the way. The "tails" are a great feature :). One tip: Just connect the return jack and out jack to eachother, and run one wire from there to the middle lug of the switch.