Building your own Pedaltrain style pedalboard....this might be useful

Started by liddokun, September 20, 2009, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddokun

I was thinking about purchasing a pedaltrain, because of the design of it. But then I got to thinking, why couldn't I just make one myself?
So I started to do some searching, and I found a nice tutorial over at Harmony Central forums about how to make one. I thought I'd share this with you guys,
maybe someone is thinking of doing the same thing as myself.
First of all, here is the link to the HC thread:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2271963

I'd like to note that the board is actually based on a shelf called Gorm sold by IKEA, which, costs about $4. It's solid pine, and comes in different sizes ($4 is for the one that's slightly larger than a pedaltrain jr.). They even have corner shelves, so it'd be possible to do sectional boards, and angled pedalboards.

Here's a link to the IKEA gorm page:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/?query=gorm

Hopefully you'll have an IKEA in your area...I can't wait to try this project out. I'm thinking, green with white velcro.  :)
To those about to rock, we salute you.

Thomeeque

Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Paul Marossy

liddokun

No problem T, I was hoping someone would enjoy reading it, or even make use of it. I know there's many threads on here about making your own pedalboard, but I haven't seen anything in this fashion before.

I'll be checking out my IKEA very soon!

cab42

Here's my take on a pedaltrain-like board. I got hold on some scrap aluminium profiles and some pieces of wood.

Since the picture was taken, I have lowered the alu-profiles, so they are in level with the wood, and oiled the wood. Next step is velcro.

But its a great idea with the Ikea shelf. And I especially like the color!

I have those shelfes in my garden shed, and I actually think I have an extra shelf (and some pink spray paint :icon_mrgreen:)

Regards

Carsten

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

David

I did it with pieces of 1 inch furring strip and 3 premade bookshelf boards at the local big-box store.  They were four inches wide and about 3/8 inch thick.  Perfect.  No cutting required.  At least for that configuration.

Now I get to do it all over again because I need a smaller pedalboard.

jacobyjd

Quote from: David on September 21, 2009, 10:19:01 AM

Hah. My first board was not a PT style--I built the whole thing like a flight case. It's awesome, but it's huge. Now that I'm bandless, I'm finding that I definitely need something smaller for jams and the odd freelance gig I get. It's no fun to load a 3' monstrosity into my sedan. In a band van, it's no biggie.

I might just have to go this route--my $20 GGG power supply would sit happily underneath a low-profile board.

Does anyone have a good source for that 2" Velcro? I found it at Staples--15' of it for about $30. Any cheaper sources?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bobp1339

This is good info.  I was planning on using 1/2" birch plywood to build a good size board, so that I have room for expansion, but this is so easy, I might have to just build 2 of them  ;)
"I love the smell of solder in the morning..."

...Bazz Fuss, EA Trem, Ross Comp, MXR Env Filter, Orange Squeezer, custom bass preamp...
http://chindigband.com

David

Quote from: jacobyjd on September 21, 2009, 10:24:24 AM

Hah. My first board was not a PT style--I built the whole thing like a flight case. It's awesome, but it's huge. Now that I'm bandless, I'm finding that I definitely need something smaller for jams and the odd freelance gig I get. It's no fun to load a 3' monstrosity into my sedan. In a band van, it's no biggie.

I might just have to go this route--my $20 GGG power supply would sit happily underneath a low-profile board.

Does anyone have a good source for that 2" Velcro? I found it at Staples--15' of it for about $30. Any cheaper sources?

Bandless?  Did the bell toll for your former band?  Bummer... 

jacobyjd

Quote from: David on September 21, 2009, 11:59:53 AM

Bandless?  Did the bell toll for your former band?  Bummer... 

Yeah, we had a good little run. Eric (ercsguitar when he's on this forum) is still writing great songs--just not in Indiana anymore. His wife scored an excellent writing job in Colorado that paid for their moving expenses if she could start within the week. Talk about a fast studio teardown! But...as all musicians with day jobs know: you gotta follow the work.

The rest of us wish them the best, and we're still in touch...and not opposed to long-distance collaboration. But...we're all moving on to good things. I'm not really short on auditions for other local bands, so I'm hoping to find another good set of band brothers soon :)

Until then, I'm busy realizing how much I've slacked on the meat and potatoes skills required for writing good songs myself. 3 years of lead guitar will do that to a guy :)

ibodog

Try Michael's crafts or JoAnn Fabrics if you have those chains in your area.  A lot of times they'll have a bulk reel and you can have it cut to the length you need.  Lots of neat stuff in those craft stores for storing small components, printing/painting on pedal cases, etc.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

jacobyjd

Quote from: ibodog on September 21, 2009, 02:20:53 PM

Try Michael's crafts or JoAnn Fabrics if you have those chains in your area.  A lot of times they'll have a bulk reel and you can have it cut to the length you need.  Lots of neat stuff in those craft stores for storing small components, printing/painting on pedal cases, etc.

cut-to-length FTW! I'll check it out, thanks!

mnordbye

Pure inspiration. His board looks so tidy and professional! I have a IKEA relatively close, so this goes on the shopping list for my next trip south!
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

liddokun

Part of what's getting me so excited about this project is that I'm so tired of black pedal boards.
Can't wait til reading week so I can get started on a candy apple green board with white velcro!

bean

Here's the gorm I built a couple of weeks ago. Not populated yet :)

I bought the largest size, and cut off the top plank. I used that to make the heel stoppers and also to brace the undersides of the other boards (this wood will split easily if you don't reinforce it somehow). After that I sanded a bit, did two passes of stain and two passes of lacquer. I measured out the approximate space needed to get 6 pedals in line and used velcro in those spots, rather than all the way across. Both rows of pedals will span across to the middle board. I want to see some wood once I hook it all up, not dirty velcro! The top board will have two power supplies and a tuner.

I also used some rubber pads to fill in the height gap between the different braces.

I wouldn't take this to a gig (not that I would have one anytime soon), but for the house it's way nicer than my Pedaltrain. Total cost was maybe $15 (velcro is the most expensive part).

liddokun

On the contrary, I think with the correct reinforcements you could probably make a Gorm pedalboard that is gig worthy.

liddokun

tempus

I too was inspired when I saw a pedaltrain to think "There's gotta be a cheaper way to do that".  And there is. I used 1x1 aluminum tubing - 3 pieces going horizontally (the pedals go on top of this) and 2 pieces underneath going vertically. The tubing was something like a buck 50/foot at Canadian Tire; a little more at HomeDepot. I then mounted a metal box inside the frame for my electronic switching. I'm hoping to wrap up this project soon and I'll post some pictures.

blues_mang

Here is my own version of a Pedaltrain style board. Complete with a built in isolated power supply and complete signal routing center. This board is currently used for my modulation pedals and my tuner, since there is a buffered tuner ouput. I also covered the sides in tweed to match my Tweed Classic 30. I'm planning on building a second for my dirt pedals.

If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.