Anybody build their Gristleizer yet, comments on it?

Started by Skruffyhound, December 17, 2009, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobyjd

Quote from: 1878 on March 25, 2010, 04:14:21 PM
I've finally got the time and parts to put this thing together next week. The Endangered Audio model has a footswitch for the VCA/VCF control. Have any of you succesful builders out there done the same ?? Is there any point ??

Based on my results with this (still am debugging the one pictured above), I don't think it'd be terribly useful to footswitch that function. Mainly because of the amount of tweaking needed to get good settings between the two.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

skweeegor

Finally finished mine. Was going to put it in a hammond enclosure but I goofed on the layout and there was no way to fit it without resoldering so I stuck it in an old hdd caddy - looks kinda neat actually in a ghetto way. Might paint it eventually.

Taylor

Nice. I think that look is very much in-keeping with the history and flavor of the Gristleizer.

skweeegor

ok, I'm having some doubts as to whether my bias knob is working properly. Going by the endangered audio clip, it seems like in the VCA mode w/ a square wave it can act somewhat like a gate, but on mine it seems to just lower volume, and eventually the modulation. I dunno if that's a result of a difference in the way they wired theirs up or a mistake I made.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a5t3ntmmdm2

Depth and Bias are at 100%, and the LFO is set to a square wave. From 0-9 seconds I'm adjusting the LFO frequency. Then at 9 seconds I start to turn down the bias knob - you can hear how it starts lowering the volume, and eventually killing the modulation as well.

Can anyone confirm if theirs does this too?

Kev77

Quote from: skweeegor on April 04, 2010, 10:40:19 AM
Finally finished mine. Was going to put it in a hammond enclosure but I goofed on the layout and there was no way to fit it without resoldering so I stuck it in an old hdd caddy - looks kinda neat actually in a ghetto way. Might paint it eventually.

got a gut shot?

Plan B

posting this from my phone, so if it doesn't work, I'll give it another go in the coming days.  It was acid etched, the and I really should have planned the topography of it out a bit better.  Wanted everything on the front, but it got too crowded, so I run the risk of stepping on the vca/vcf switch and waveform selector.  Oh well.  Live and learn I guess.  Still gotta wire it up and see how it sounds, but I was rather pleased with the etch.  Now I'm debating whether to take the mask off or just leave it and let it chip away naturally.

skweeegor

Quote from: Kev77 on April 15, 2010, 02:23:42 AM
got a gut shot?

No but I can take one in a bit. It's pretty terrible though - wires too long, all wound up in each other. Taught me a lesson in planning enclosures and wire lengths.

Just finished building my Gristleizer and it fired up first time !! I haven't tweaked it yet though, I'll do that when it's in the box to save knocking things out of kilter in between times.

As an aside, I'd like to thank Taylor for going to all the time and effort involved in getting these things sorted for us all. I'm not normally a 'gusher' but credit where credit's due... Thankyou.

Taylor

I'm always glad to contribute something to the forum.  :)

Now let's see some pics!

Just waiting on the ink for my printer. It's a good thing in a way, 'cos I'm still unsure about the design for the box.

Incidentally, what's the best way of posting video on this forum ?? Yes... I am that impressed with the Gristleizer !!

hoso

I'm kinda n00b on all this stuff. This is my first build actually! I'm done soldering all of the parts except switches, pots, jacks, power AND the 470 nf cap (C1).

I only have an electrolytic in that value and now I'm wondering if I can put it on the board instead of bipolar? How do I do with polarity if I would do it?

hoso

Sorry. I missed that question earlier in the thread. I feel like crying right now! No chance of getting that cap until next week :(

Taylor

Don't cry buddy, it'll work out!  :)

You can use a different cap value there, and it will have a slight effect on the max/min speeds of the LFO. So if you have something close in value, try that instead. It'll get you up and running at least until you can get the new cap, but you probably won't notice much difference anyway as long as you use something close.

hoso

Thanks for those comforting words! I'm kind of short on caps and all I have are just really tiny values on bipolars. And I'm not in the financial position to buy an entire set right now. I'll just hang in there. I'm really psyched about trying it though. Fingers are crossed :)

jacobyjd

I seriously need to get back to debugging my first one using this board :(

I'm building one bone stock--that's the one on the bend at the moment.

For the second one, I'd like to fiddle with some fixed resistors on the pots to make them a bit more usable (Mainly the bias pot). This one will also be a non-stompbox version--I just bought a nice instrument enclosure from Jaycar that should do the trick. 

The last will have some multiple LFO madness going on--hopefully LFO controls for depth, volume, and speed

hoso

I love the fact that you'll have all the mods worked out for when I get number 2 in the making.

jacobyjd

Quote from: hoso on May 08, 2010, 01:28:06 PM
I love the fact that you'll have all the mods worked out for when I get number 2 in the making.

Haha--I hope it works out that way. So far, I've got tons of projects and not a lot of time :)

hoso

I accidentally dropped a solder blob in one of the small (unused?) holes on the board. Problem or not?

hoso

When wiring a 3P4T rotary. Do I use pole A & B & lug 1-8 and wire the thing like in the diagram?

I used A & B, 1-8 & it all works for me. I wired it up exactly like the diagram too.