pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Hoffman

Got the baffle finished!  I'm planning to get the main part of the case covered tomorrow, but right now I'm really happy with how both the logo came out (click to look at the close up of the logo - I tried to find a font which was close to the Vox font, and put in all the lines similar to the Vox logo), and how the grill cloth came out.  I was really worried about the grill cloth because of the pattern, but other than the corners on the right (which are just a bit wonky), I think it turned out really freaking well.

Oh, and the purple logo is not intended as a Prince tribute - I just have a boat load of these T1 sized "Super Bright Pink" LED's, and wanted to use them up!

Gabriel

wavley

That's really fantastic!  I have an Oliver PA100XR that the front panel lights up, but I never thought it was bright enough, I should fix that.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

thermionix

Very nice.  You're building an heirloom for sure.

Just a tip for anyone looking to add piping to an amp build or similar.  In the fabrics/sewing world it is usually called "welting" and the exact stuff used on amps can be found for a small fraction of what amp/electronics supply stores sell it for.  I've still got a bunch of the gold Marshall plexi style stuff that I paid next to nothing for on Ebay.  The word "piping" was nowhere in the listing.

G. Hoffman

Quote from: thermionix on May 06, 2016, 03:44:42 PM
Very nice.  You're building an heirloom for sure.

Just a tip for anyone looking to add piping to an amp build or similar.  In the fabrics/sewing world it is usually called "welting" and the exact stuff used on amps can be found for a small fraction of what amp/electronics supply stores sell it for.  I've still got a bunch of the gold Marshall plexi style stuff that I paid next to nothing for on Ebay.  The word "piping" was nowhere in the listing.

Depends on the quality of it.  I've bought cheap piping before, and it was all but unusable.  This stuff is much easier to use, so if it costs a bit more per foot, I'm good with that. 

Gabriel

thermionix

I've had good luck, but I'm sure there is a range of quality, as with most things.

G. Hoffman

Quote from: thermionix on May 07, 2016, 03:29:18 PM
I've had good luck, but I'm sure there is a range of quality, as with most things.

The problems I've had were mostly with it falling apart while I stapled it to the amp.  I tried turning down the pressure on my air stapler, but then it just didn't go in far enough.  Both chisel and pointy staples.

Gabriel

feddozz

Quote from: davent on March 23, 2012, 10:07:27 PM
Hello,
From the sublime, amps pictured above, to the ridiculous, Ruby with PRR mod- ipod input, works well, sounds just like ah...
Rescued the 386 from an old baby monitor.

Great build!
Could you give me some pointers where to find info on the PRR mod to the Ruby?
Thanx
And "dog balls on your face"...

davent

Quote from: feddozz on May 09, 2016, 03:46:40 AM
Quote from: davent on March 23, 2012, 10:07:27 PM
Hello,
From the sublime, amps pictured above, to the ridiculous, Ruby with PRR mod- ipod input, works well, sounds just like ah...
Rescued the 386 from an old baby monitor.

Great build!
Could you give me some pointers where to find info on the PRR mod to the Ruby?
Thanx

Been awhile, found the schematic i drew up, dated to 2010.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

feddozz

And "dog balls on your face"...

G. Hoffman

Finished!!!!!

(Well, except for putting in a fan.  And a couple of knobs work backwards.  But other than that.)

Sounds freaking awesome. 

(Seriously, though, it really needs a fan.  I played it for about 45 minutes just now, and the metal vent cover was really uncomfortable to touch!  And that's after making the vents about 4 times larger than on an original Vox.)

(And this thing REALLY loves the Soul Food.)

Gabriel

thermionix

^^^Most excellent!!!

And it will keep getting better the more you play it.  I'm one of those that thinks most everything has a break-in period, but especially speakers.

Greenmachine

Wow way to go Mr. Hoffman.  Head to toe impressive build you have there. 

tca

"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

thermionix

Here's one I built back in 2000.  It's basically a 1987 clone (minor tweaks) built around a set of Hammond iron that I robbed from an old Traynor YVM Voice Master.  Aluminum chassis is either Hammond or Bud, don't remember which.

I built it for myself and used to gig with it, but I sold it in '04 to my buddy Earl, who makes it sound much better than I ever did.  :icon_mrgreen:  He plugs straight in and cranks it up, it's like butter.

It came in the other day for some new EL34s and general cleanup, so I figured I'd snap a few pics.

thomasha

Hi, my new meter amp.

It started as a savage croaker with el84, but I ended up adding the ecc83 for more gain. I also added a VVR to keep things down.

The meter is actually an ammeter, and is drived by the tl072 opamp, only to make it move better. As I added it after the second stage, it indicates the distortion, or gain level.

The box came from a decoration store, it already had the finger joint, I just rounded the edges, sanded and added a new oil layer.

Cheers,
Thomas

Cozybuilder

Thomas- You build the coolest stuff! One more to aspire to.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

bluebunny

I'm with Cozy.  That's a sweet little amp. Well done!

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

Agreed, super classy, as per the usual. I always forget to ask this when I see sweet builds, but where did you get the faceplate?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thomasha

I made the faceplate,

just printed it on OHP transparency and added some clear coat. To stick it to the chassis I painted the chassis with clear coat and added an extra layer to work as the glue. It takes a lot of time to dry if you paint the transparency and the chassis and glue it together at the same time, but if the coat on the chassis and on the transparency are already dry the extra layer between them dries much faster, and because it's the same clear coat it kind of glues together.

Guitarboy2828

Some serious inspiration in here. Inspired me to build my own 18w.