Building the tap tempo tremolo

Started by Taylor, April 19, 2010, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

To bad they are not 16 pin! I could have sanded them down and sold them as SAD1024 on ebay.

bluebunny

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 10, 2018, 11:29:14 AM
Quote from: alparent on September 10, 2018, 09:39:35 AM
What I'm I suppose to do with all those PIC 16F684 now!?

?? ;)

I think we need to see a picture of you wearing these, Tom!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Mcintosh

Built this fine pedal today!! Version.3 ic. Subbed volume pot for the Switch mod for different wave forms, cool! Grounding pin 6 helped a lot with the different wave forms. Nice!

ElectricDruid

Welcome! And very glad to hear it worked well for you!

Barcode80

***Deleted because I'm a dumb.***

Barcode80

***Deleted because I'm a dumb.***

telebiker

Finally it is done (PCB ordered in 2012).

Many thanks to ElectricDruid and Taylor for the help during the build, I had a lot of questions.

Mods:
- TAPLFO3 with Waveset and Smooth switched
- Center detent pot for the Offset knob (it's easy and I find it very useful)
- 4 inputs for the pots (except Waveform)
- Rotary switches for the Waveform and Multiplier
- PWM out, Clock out, Tap tempo in

• SUPPORTER

telebiker

Quote from: lespos on January 26, 2012, 02:21:42 AM
Quote from: Gaetano Capuano on January 20, 2012, 11:42:28 PM
CRAP where can I purchase an NSL-32   ???

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=356  Small Bear Electronics is your best fiend ;)

There is my build

For waveform and multiplier i using rotary switches instead of pots. That makes these functions a bit more understandabe. If someone interested - i found perfect rotary switches for that

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/SRBV160803/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYusHPuglWmCRYaNeyNyivdg%3d 6 position for multiplier

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/SRBV181004/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYusHPuglWmCRbZTSllc6Pt4%3d 8 position for waveform

All you need to do is build additional PCB
There is PCB's (open with Sprint Layot)

with trough hole resistors
NOT VERIFIED because i build second one version with SMD (8060 size) resistors

with SMD (8060)resistors

VERIFIED

all PCB's is ready to trasfer
Cool build! BTW, I'm curious, how the illumination like this is done?
  • SUPPORTER

telebiker

• SUPPORTER

dathey

Eurorack Tap Tremolo

• Eurorack 12HP:  panel layout via FPD and toner transfer.
• PCB from Delek/Cherry Pie: https://www.delykpcb.com/product/cherry-pie-tremolo-pcb
• TAPLFO 3C, LFO Out and Sync In from Electric Druid: https://electricdruid.net/datasheets/TAPLFO3Datasheet.pdf
• 1P8T mini rotary switch (from alibaba, smallbear, adafruit, etc) with resistor string, for both Multiplier and Waveform/Shape, via Electric Druid
• True bypass relay from TH Custom: https://diy.thcustom.com/shop/uber-switch-relay-true-bypass-with-mute-kit/
• Homemade optocouplers using tayda photocells and superbrite yellow leds
• No ticking after removing C14 / added extra filter caps on voltage regulator outputs.

Still learning how all the controls interact together.

telebiker

Quote from: dathey on May 13, 2021, 02:56:35 PM• No ticking after removing C14 / added extra filter caps on voltage regulator outputs.
Nice build!

Just curious what kind of filter caps have you used for voltage regulator outputs?
  • SUPPORTER

dathey

Just used regular electrolytic caps, 100uf or so, across both 5v regulator outputs.  Can never have enough power supply filter caps...

lwatford

So I recently pulled my Tap Tempo Tremolo back out, and while its always worked fairly well, I'm interested in the Taplfo 3 PIC. If I'm reading the data sheet correctly, I should be able to pull the crystal, the two 22pF caps, and R9 (pull up resistor).

Then I can ground pin 6 on the board (it doesn't look like its going anywhere), and use one of the pads from pin 3 to wire a switch to ground for the alt waveforms.

Does that sound about right?

ElectricDruid

Yes, that sounds about right!

The newer chip was designed to be compatible with the earlier one - just leave a few bits out.

lwatford

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 29, 2021, 12:56:22 PM
Yes, that sounds about right!

The newer chip was designed to be compatible with the earlier one - just leave a few bits out.

thanks!

telebiker

My Tremolo started to behave in a strange manner. Sometimes it decides to slow down the speed 2-3 times, but returns to the original speed several seconds later. I was not able to define the circumstances when this was happening. I'm wondering if anyone had similar issue.
  • SUPPORTER

Taylor

Haven't heard of that one, but my thought was maybe it has to do with the resistors on your multiplier switch. With parts tolerances, maybe one or two of them are off enough that the voltage produced is right on the boundary between two multiplier settings. Some stray noise or power supply fluctuation could be enough to click over the edge into the next value.

ElectricDruid

Sorry, I've not seen that before either. My first thought would be rather like Taylor's - bad pot maybe, leading to the value jumping?

One further possibility might be a unrelated CV going open circuit. The chip doesn't like have floating inputs and starts doing bizarre and often totally unrelated stuff when it happens.

telebiker

Quote from: Taylor on August 12, 2015, 05:34:26 PMEDIT! It just occurred to me that for safety's sake you should probably put a 1k resistor between 5v and the ring connection on the expression pedal. Otherwise when plugging the expression in you'll short 5v and ground for a second.
I wired expression pedal inputs like this, with that 1k resistor, and I think that I was experimenting with expression inputs when speed knob crazyness happened. Probably, the best way to use the expression input is to make the connection when power is off to avoid any issues. Will also check whether my speed pot and multiplier switch are okay. Thanks for ideas guys!
  • SUPPORTER