TZF3007 - TZF (short delay) module, MN3007 based

Started by Thomeeque, July 24, 2010, 02:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomeeque

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on July 30, 2010, 11:57:08 AM
I still owe you for the switches, come to think of it.

I'm glad you still remember :) I remember it too (don't worry :icon_twisted:), but so far I have not found that *special* part I will ask you for yet :icon_rolleyes: But that day will come :) Thanks, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Scruffie

Just wondering if anyone's gotten round to attempting this yet? I should be getting an Electric Mistress PCB soon to populate and try it out with but I wondered due to this thread http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=86836.0 and my suggestion of the TZF Project on One Board if it had been confirmed?

Scruffie

Thomeeque

Quote from: Scruffie on September 09, 2010, 11:49:43 AM
Can anyone give me a hand with how to size this for printing?

All those pngs know their physical size plus you know DPI from the filename, but..

Quote from: Scruffie on September 09, 2010, 11:49:43 AM
A PDF would be nice...  :D

..I agree ;)

TZF3007_v1.1_Build_Instructions.pdf
TZF3207_v1.0_Build_Instructions.pdf

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Scruffie

Ahh sorry, i'm new to this.

Cheers for the PDFs though!  ;)

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Scruffie

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 09, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
So, who's gonna' try this first?
Eh?
I'm working on it... might take quite a while though  :icon_frown:

Thomeeque

oldschoolanalog

Dude!
Its gonna' take more than "that" to get me off my keyster. :icon_lol:
Or maybe not. Considering I'm the only one who has any 3007's.  :P
Guess it's time to get busy...
Again.
I'll keep y'all posted.

West End Girls...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Scruffie

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 09, 2010, 09:23:20 PM
Dude!
Its gonna' take more than "that" to get me off my keyster. :icon_lol:
Or maybe not. Considering I'm the only one who has any 3007's.  :P
Guess it's time to get busy...
Again.
I'll keep y'all posted.

West End Girls...
I have the 3007s, just no money (or already built up PCB) for the rest of the parts!  :icon_mrgreen:

JRM

I'll be able to buy a MN3007 on my regular parts supplier but I'm still too confused regarding this EM build. The original one wasn't easy but this new one with all this mods it makes me dizzy. Of course that happens because I'm a freshman...

Mark Hammer

Okay, now someone needs to design a small daughterboard for "theta processing".  This would involve 4 or more fixed all-pass stages.  I have a perf version using a quad op-amp, but I suppose some folks would like a PCB.  You can read more about it here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77987.0

oldschoolanalog

More info about theta processing here.
Sorry, just realized this is already linked to above. :icon_redface:
Lack of coffee is a sad thing...

bancika

anyone successfully built this? How does it work? Does it only delay the input signal or it mixes with dry signal?
Tnx
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

jaysg

please forgive this tangent for Thomeeque...I would pm or email you if I could find an address:  

a) You seem to have done the most work on the original and 9V EM.   One of your packages called "EM Enhancer v0.1A" is confusing and I probably don't understand the context.  What's it for and why two inverters?

b) I've got a functioning 18V version and I don't find the volume drop too bad, but I've been trying to find a blend mod for it.  My inability to find something tells me that maybe it's not possible without adding I/O buffering.  Dunno?

c) I figured out that TZF means "through-zero-flanger," but I don't know the term comes from and whether the designs in this thread are  EM mods, or a different design altogether?

Thomeeque

Quote from: jaysg on February 09, 2011, 02:35:07 PM
please forgive this tangent for Thomeeque...I would pm or email you if I could find an address:  

a) You seem to have done the most work on the original and 9V EM.   One of your packages called "EM Enhancer v0.1A" is confusing and I probably don't understand the context.  What's it for and why two inverters?

b) I've got a functioning 18V version and I don't find the volume drop too bad, but I've been trying to find a blend mod for it.  My inability to find something tells me that maybe it's not possible without adding I/O buffering.  Dunno?

c) I figured out that TZF means "through-zero-flanger," but I don't know the term comes from and whether the designs in this thread are  EM mods, or a different design altogether?

a) My "EM Enhancer v0.1A" was just a quick draft completing idea from previous post:

Quote from: Thomeeque on January 27, 2011, 09:21:49 AM
If you plan to keep it, add LED, unity gain mod and e.g. BBD output signal inverter (to make some use of 2nd half of unity gain opamp) for more instant fun (adds this sound) :) Other interesting options are clock range switch, feedback capacitor switch..

Top "inverter" represents unity gain mod with volume control (since original 9V EM inverts signal, using inverting amplifier at it's output makes IMO good sense).

Bottom inverter allows to invert "wet" (BBD) signal, which gives new range of sounds (more instant fun  ;))

b) This 18V version? What exactly should blend mod do?

c) About TZF don't hesitate to ask Google, you'll find lot of threads, soundsamples etc. My TZF module was primarily designed for EM, but you can use it in other circuits as well - you just need to know that it requires buffered input signal and decoupling output capacitor to filter out DC voltage present at it's output.

T.

jaysg

Quote from: Thomeeque on February 10, 2011, 05:10:33 PMThis[/url] 18V version? What exactly should blend mod do?
Thank you for the explanation.  Yes, I have the early 18V version, pcb 5200-1A.  

The EM is not subtle and it would be nice to be able to dial the balance to: more uneffected + less flanged = Unity, without using an external mixer.  The junction of the 13K, 10K, and 470ohm looks like a mix point.  I don't understand the Color and Trim pots at all, so, I'm basically guessing that the 13K is 'feed forward,' not feedback and the mix is about 50|50.

Thomeeque

Quote from: jaysg on February 10, 2011, 07:08:49 PM
The EM is not subtle and it would be nice to be able to dial the balance to: more uneffected + less flanged = Unity, without using an external mixer.  The junction of the 13K, 10K, and 470ohm looks like a mix point.  I don't understand the Color and Trim pots at all, so, I'm basically guessing that the 13K is 'feed forward,' not feedback and the mix is about 50|50.

OK, I see now.

The junction of the 13K, 10K, and 470ohm looks like a mix point. - yes, it is - first you can try to replace 13k + 10k divider by 22~25k linear pot and play with it. This way you can try full possible range, find reasonable limits and then replace it by combination of resistors and pot (e.g. 8k2 - B10k - 4k7).

There is one potential problem, 470R+47n branch - this branch forms (with "mix" resistors) passive de-emphasis filter. Changing mix resistor values will detune this filter (bigger value will lead to less highs than on input, smaller value to more highs than on input) - you may or may not find it to be a problem during you experiments with blend pot.

Edit: There is another potential problem, overall volume may change with blend pot setting - you may or may not find it to be a problem during you experiments with blend pot as well.

One possible way around both of these problems would by adding (toggle) switch switching between two (or more) properly tuned fixed mixers with fixed ratios.

I don't understand the Color and Trim pots at all, so, I'm basically guessing that the 13K is 'feed forward,' not feedback and the mix is about 50|50. - yes.

T.

Pierre

hi...
I'm just finishing this project, doing the Electric M. and the TZF module at the same time...I think (I hope) it will be ready for the first tests by tomorrow...
I just have a little doubt on how wiring the tzf board with the main flanger...I know it should be simple but I prefer to ask for help before I do something wrong.... :icon_redface:

Thank you !

Thomeeque

Quote from: Pierre on September 04, 2011, 01:02:19 PM
hi...
I'm just finishing this project, doing the Electric M. and the TZF module at the same time...I think (I hope) it will be ready for the first tests by tomorrow...
I just have a little doubt on how wiring the tzf board with the main flanger...I know it should be simple but I prefer to ask for help before I do something wrong.... :icon_redface:

Thank you !

See Markus's EM schematic and locate pads SEND and RETURN. TZF3x07's IN connects with SEND, OUT with RETURN. You may want to use DPDT toggle wired as a true-bypass switch for this module.

What EM and what TZF module are you building exactly?

T.

Btw. TDELAY range on all pictures here is wrong, correct range is 0.25ms ~ 4.5ms (TDELAY = 1024/(2*fCP))