NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

Quote from: RicoRokkaRolla on March 13, 2011, 01:13:58 PM
Will be there any opportunities to controll my diy pulsar tremolo with my taptation equipped diy rebote 2.5 delay's tap tempo at the same time? Really thanks, all the best!

The LFO output of the TapTation, which is used with delays for the modulation, can be used as an LFO replacement in an tremolo or phaser with proper buffering / driver circuitry.

Andrew

RicoRokkaRolla

Could you suggest some idea how I can controll my pulsar tremolo, with this lfo out? I'm a beginner, so need some help. How should I get the connection between to pedals and its PCB.
Will I be able to switch between delay modulation (depth) and LFO out (for my pulsar tremolo), if I apply a switch? Thank you!

sentimentalbob

Hi.
I have have a problem. Time pot is working. LED a clipping. Double Time and Scale switches is working. But I can't set tempo by the button!
Who that had such problem?
I Buy 4 taptation, and result is identical.
I record a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJppPrRt0E

The Tone God

Quote from: RicoRokkaRolla on March 15, 2011, 10:11:08 AM
Could you suggest some idea how I can controll my pulsar tremolo, with this lfo out? I'm a beginner, so need some help. How should I get the connection between to pedals and its PCB.
Will I be able to switch between delay modulation (depth) and LFO out (for my pulsar tremolo), if I apply a switch? Thank you!

I'm not familer with that circuit to be able to offer a beginner friendly instructions. Sorry.

Quote from: sentimentalbob on March 17, 2011, 04:52:14 AM
I have have a problem. Time pot is working. LED a clipping. Double Time and Scale switches is working. But I can't set tempo by the button!

What type of switch are you using ? How do you have pin 4 set ? Do you have a debounce network on the switch and if so what are the values ? When you hit the switch the tempo LED should stay on until either you hit the switch or you wait longer then about 1 second. You can even test just by tapping a wire connected to the switch input to ground. Another thing is it looks like you pot is really noisy. Even as you moved the circuit around the tempo changed all over the place. Do you have the 1K/0.1uF filter network on the pot ?

Andrew

Barcode80

Alright guys, I have a PCB for the no-modulation version of the taptation circuit, and I'll have one of the full version soon. If there is enough interest, I will see about having boards fabbed. And, if Tone God and Aron are on board, I'll make them available to Aron to sell with the kit. I'll keep you posted.

Moonibopper

What size pot are you using for the delay time? I hooked this up to a rebote 2.5 which is supposed to use a 50k for delay time. But per the layout of the taptation, used a 100k instead. I'm having the same problems as you. Maybe this change in pot size is the reason?

Hi.
I record a video.

Barcode80

Quote from: Moonibopper on March 22, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
What size pot are you using for the delay time? I hooked this up to a rebote 2.5 which is supposed to use a 50k for delay time. But per the layout of the taptation, used a 100k instead. I'm having the same problems as you. Maybe this change in pot size is the reason?

Hi.
I record a video.
That shouldn't matter. In terms of circuit function, all using a 100k instead of a 50k will do is allow longer repeats, which can get pretty dirty. But it should affect the function of the taptation.

sentimentalbob

I use momentary switch
4 pin of the attiny in the "air"
debounce network on the switch its 100K resistor and 0.1cap? yes

I have tapping a wire connected to the switch input to ground..... no result

...............When you hit the switch the tempo LED should stay on until either you hit the switch or you wait longer then about 1 second
LED is blinking, when I wait about 1 second
Do you have the 1K/0.1uF filter network on the pot ? yes

Moonibopper

So, I got the tap tempo switch working. The SPST momentary switches seem to need a higher capacitor for the debounce filter to reduce the noise. A 0.47uf instead of 0.1uf did the trick. However, I noticed that the repeats are a tiny bit faster than the rate of the flashing leds... any help with this?

Moonibopper

Actually I think I know the answer to my own question... I probably need to put the 1k resistor back in right before pin 6 on the PT2399, right?

sentimentalbob

Quote from: Moonibopper on March 22, 2011, 11:08:05 PM
So, I got the tap tempo switch working. The SPST momentary switches seem to need a higher capacitor for the debounce filter to reduce the noise. A 0.47uf instead of 0.1uf did the trick. However, I noticed that the repeats are a tiny bit faster than the rate of the flashing leds... any help with this?

50K or 100K
0.1uf or 0.47
no result.
When I clipping switch, LED is flashing, but the tempo is not "stored"
I think, It's problem in Attiny(((

Moonibopper

Take a high resolution photo of your taptation pcb... component side and solder side and upload it.

Barcode80

Okay guys, I've built a working prototype of my layout without the modulation features. I'd post the layout, but I can't figure out how to get pdfs to upload into the gallery. I know you can, I just can't seem to make it work.

This thing is cool! I'll be contacting Aron and Tone God in the next few days to see about offering pre-fabbed PCBs with the kits.

Valoosj

Use prtscr and then cut out the i;age with paint and upload it?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Barcode80

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jkokura

Hey guys,

I did a layout today, but it's for a modified version. I don't want a Double Time switch, nor do I want a switch for the time divisions. I also didn't need the modulation, and so I left that out entirely. Since the tap time is quarter notes the way I set it up, I just used one LED for the indicator, instead of one for the tempo and one for the divisions. I also put an onboard 5v regulator and 9V input, that way it can be used very easily.

So, it's just a quarter note tap tempo controller with an indicator LED this way. Whatcha think? I'll be getting someone to etch me a copy of this in the near future, and I'll verify it before I post any other documentation.

Jacob

served

I have a question.

In this case Tap Tempo delay means, it remembers different rhythm patterns for the delay? Or you can tap in the speed of delay?

Barcode80

Quote from: served on April 15, 2011, 09:57:47 AM
I have a question.

In this case Tap Tempo delay means, it remembers different rhythm patterns for the delay? Or you can tap in the speed of delay?

Speed only.

I have two questions:

1) I can't find anywhere in the documentation showing which position of the scale switch is what. Like when it's open, which scale is it, when it is connected to Vcc, which scale, etc...

2) Also, I've notice some drift on my tempo between the repeats and the LED. I know the documentation says you will hear this with the repeats up high, but I'm getting this drift after about 3 repeats, which doesn't seem high to me...

jkokura

Can't help with 2...

1) it's a chart on page 7 of the Taptation document.

Jacob