NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

Quote from: Barcode80 on April 15, 2011, 03:38:08 PM
I have two questions:

1) I can't find anywhere in the documentation showing which position of the scale switch is what. Like when it's open, which scale is it, when it is connected to Vcc, which scale, etc...

2) Also, I've notice some drift on my tempo between the repeats and the LED. I know the documentation says you will hear this with the repeats up high, but I'm getting this drift after about 3 repeats, which doesn't seem high to me...

1. As stated there is chart in the data sheet that explains each setting of the various input and their corresponding effect on the tempo output.

2. The input to the PT2399 is sensitive. In testing I found that even when handling the wire connected the circuit the time would go off this is why I encourage the connection to be as short as possible to reduce error. I do have the designs of a version that should reduce this problem but only so much time right now.

Andrew

served

I have a problem.

It works. LEDs blink and button works.

But: If I close the cover of the enclosure, it will stop. LEDs doesn't blink, or blink very very fast. Feels like shielding is killing it. What could be the problem? Rebote works, but taptation makes very fast repeats.

swinginguitar

Is it possible to use this in tandem with a pot for speed? IOW, you can tap tempo or adjust with a knob....would you need a rotary encoder of some kind?

Barcode80

Quote from: swinginguitar on April 19, 2011, 10:37:33 AM
Is it possible to use this in tandem with a pot for speed? IOW, you can tap tempo or adjust with a knob....would you need a rotary encoder of some kind?
This functionality is already there in the kit. The tap sets the tempo, or you can set it with the knob.

The Tone God

Quote from: served on April 19, 2011, 09:16:33 AM
But: If I close the cover of the enclosure, it will stop. LEDs doesn't blink, or blink very very fast. Feels like shielding is killing it. What could be the problem? Rebote works, but taptation makes very fast repeats.

Sounds to me like somewhere a connection is shorting. Try opening the case slowly while running and see at what point the circuit comes to life.

Quote from: swinginguitar on April 19, 2011, 10:37:33 AM

The TapTation does all that for you with a standard pot. No need for an encoder.

Andrew

served

Hi.

Still. Cant figure out why it does what it does.

I built it on a vero. Cleaned the board with alcohol.

Used the schematic on the page 3 RevB

LEDs blink like insane but not with full power, kind of dull. If I connect the power, I get one normal full power blink and from there it goes insane and dull, but its not affecting the Delay itself.

Any ideas?

Caps are Ceramic.
Resistors are metal 1%
Wires are max 10cm long.

Used Delay time only.

The Tone God

If LEDs are blink dull and other random behaviour then you have bad connection(s). Recheck and measure everything.

Andrew

served

Thank you Andrew!

Its a good product and you are providing very good support!
Good luck to you!

My IC socket was faulty, corroded.

Barcode80

Quote from: The Tone God on April 18, 2011, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: Barcode80 on April 15, 2011, 03:38:08 PM
I have two questions:

1) I can't find anywhere in the documentation showing which position of the scale switch is what. Like when it's open, which scale is it, when it is connected to Vcc, which scale, etc...

2) Also, I've notice some drift on my tempo between the repeats and the LED. I know the documentation says you will hear this with the repeats up high, but I'm getting this drift after about 3 repeats, which doesn't seem high to me...

1. As stated there is chart in the data sheet that explains each setting of the various input and their corresponding effect on the tempo output.

2. The input to the PT2399 is sensitive. In testing I found that even when handling the wire connected the circuit the time would go off this is why I encourage the connection to be as short as possible to reduce error. I do have the designs of a version that should reduce this problem but only so much time right now.

Andrew

Thanks again on this Andrew. I wanted to let you know I think the chart has the function of connecting to ground and the function of connecting to Vcc switched.

served

Still. I am getting the same problem again and again.

In somekind of state it just starts to blink. At first it works fine but after working few minutes, it starts to go mad.

Could you point out, which parts are the most sensitive. Maybe I am having somekind of interference problems. Its not some thing I can call out, it just happens. So a shielded cable of maybe the vero I am using has the lines too tightly together, so it starts to oscillate?

So the problem varies. Now it only blinks fast if I close the enclosure. (no wires are pressed the board sits still) Same happens with different other metal plates if I put them too close.

The Tone God

Routing that pin 6 wire is really important. Unsheilded, close as possible between the PT2399 and digital pot, try to keep it away from other signals especially ground.

Andrew

mhartington

just a simple question that has nothing to do with the actual construction of the taptation, but what are you all using for enclosures? It becoming a very tight fit for me and wanted to know what bigger enclosures people are using

sentimentalbob

How to calibrate taptation?
If taping temp by the metronome, LED blinking "in the metronome click". But repeats are faster then LED blinking
POT is 50kB
I tried with and without 1k resistor on 6pin.
I tried to connect trimpot to the 6pin of PT2399, but if I calibrate to temp 120
on other temps repeats are lost temp

au_loki

You have to remember to put your tongue out of the right hand side of your mouth while you tinker or it will never work.
Oh just wait - I am in the southern hemisphere so maybe it only works if your tongue is out the left side (you have got no hope if you live on the Equator).

Back to reality, there are a few variables involved here as we are using the PT2399 chip in a circuit that it really wasn't designed for.
While in years gone by it was a winner in the mass produced karaoke machine or surround sound equipment market where specific timing isn't required we have laid upon it expectations to perform perfectly in the precise tap tempo arena that we have forced it into.
The problem comes down to the actual internal tolerances of the much loved PT chip itself.

I encourage you to try a couple of different chips and keep the one that works the best or buy a DD7/DL4 etc.
Big thanks to TTG for coming up with this idea and seeing through.

Catch you later
au_loki

YouAre

Quote from: au_loki on June 02, 2011, 05:47:31 AM
You have to remember to put your tongue out of the right hand side of your mouth while you tinker or it will never work.
Oh just wait - I am in the southern hemisphere so maybe it only works if your tongue is out the left side (you have got no hope if you live on the Equator).

A tongue in cheek joke about your tongue being in your cheek? I love it  ;D

bradfromtampa

sorry if this has been answered already, i think i've looked through all the posts....   can you add a tempo led to this?  meaning an led that will blink to the tempo.

The Tone God

Quote from: bradfromtampa on July 03, 2011, 09:33:50 PM
sorry if this has been answered already, i think i've looked through all the posts....   can you add a tempo led to this?  meaning an led that will blink to the tempo.

There are two LED outputs. One spits out the tempo that was entered and the other spits out the tempo with the divider applied.

Andrew

bradfromtampa

Could i make a tap tempo pedal that would control 2 dd-5's with a tempo light?  If so, how would I go about doing this?  I'm a novice, again, sorry if it's been covered already.

The Tone God

Quote from: bradfromtampa on July 05, 2011, 07:24:52 PM
Could i make a tap tempo pedal that would control 2 dd-5's with a tempo light?  If so, how would I go about doing this?  I'm a novice, again, sorry if it's been covered already.

I don't have a DD5 but I would assume it uses a momentary switch. I suppose you could but I think the issue would be that the LED would constantly be setting the tempo. You would need some kind of counter to trigger the DD5 for a number of pulses then stop. It can be done but it requires some extra logic to be built. Not the easiest thing to do.

Andrew

served

A question.

If I connect two bright LEDs to the circuit, it will start to click. Can I fix it, or i have to use other LEDs?