Building the Tiny Giant amp

Started by Taylor, February 02, 2011, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alltrax

The bright cap did nothing so I socketed the 100n input cap and that was a great improvement.
I'm used to bright amps (my band amp is a Vox AC15) so I tried a few values and was very happy with 47n at full volume and 1n at low volume.
I'll put these two caps on an dpdt switch and that will do the trick  :icon_smile:
No it's time to put all these wires and components in a nice tiny enclosure  :icon_wink:

bluebunny

Cool.  Remember to make sure your speaker output jack is completely isolated from a metal enclosure and isn't connected to ground.  Then we need pictures, of course.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

alltrax

pmac11

Where's everyone getting the TDA7240? I can't track a local (Canadian) supplier, just stuff out of HK via ebay.

Sent from my P01Z using Tapatalk

pmac11

Also, a noob wuestion...but could one rig up a send/return fx loop on this kit?  If so, how?
Thanks in advance.

Taylor

For an effects loop, if you're building from my PCB, you can tap the "send" from the volume knob pad number 3. Depending on what kinda stuff you might put in the loop, you may want to add an extra opamp buffer on the "return" which would be volume knob pad 2.

pmac11

Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2018, 10:01:38 PM
For an effects loop, if you're building from my PCB, you can tap the "send" from the volume knob pad number 3. Depending on what kinda stuff you might put in the loop, you may want to add an extra opamp buffer on the "return" which would be volume knob pad 2.
Thank you !

pmac11

Thanks again for this. Another question - is it intended that the TL072 be soldered to the PCB or mounted in a socket?

Update-- scratch that. Found it on the list of parts for the complete kit.

pmac11

Quote from: pmac11 on February 03, 2018, 06:17:27 PM
Thank you !

The full kit wasn't available when I ordered, just the PCB. I've purchased all the components and am ready to build. 
Before I get underway, I'd like some clarification regarding isolating the regulator chip. I plan to use the aluminum enclosure as the heat sink...so how do I physically connect to the enclosure for heat dissipation while maintaining electric isolation?
Thanks in advance!

potul

You will need a silicon pad and a washer. Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Heatsink-Insulator-Insulating-Particles/dp/B00KV6P828

(I didn't verify if the size is the one you need)

Mat

pmac11

Quote from: potul on February 16, 2018, 02:29:03 AM
You will need a silicon pad and a washer. Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Heatsink-Insulator-Insulating-Particles/dp/B00KV6P828

(I didn't verify if the size is the one you need)

Mat
Sweet. Thanks!

pmac11

So does the Tiny Giant need a preamp with a tone control in front of it?

bluebunny

No, you can plug a guitar in directly.  Having said that, I've tended to have a couple of pedals in the path.  And having said that, I'm sure I've used it naked with an acoustic too (the signal path, not me...  :icon_redface:).
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

the Tiny Giant already has a preamp, with sparkling clear high-impedance input - the TL072. It can be nice to hear nothing but your pickups coming out of a speaker.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pmac11

Quote from: bluebunny on February 20, 2018, 02:50:59 AM
No, you can plug a guitar in directly.  Having said that, I've tended to have a couple of pedals in the path.  And having said that, I'm sure I've used it naked with an acoustic too (the signal path, not me...  :icon_redface:).
Lol, thanks!

pmac11

Quote from: garcho on February 20, 2018, 10:24:32 AM
the Tiny Giant already has a preamp, with sparkling clear high-impedance input - the TL072. It can be nice to hear nothing but your pickups coming out of a speaker.
Thanks!

carlosfilipe

Nice amp.

Going to try to build a combo with an 8" bulldog from a Vox pathfinder.  :)
Total newbie, willing to learn.

carlosfilipe

Hi all.

I'm trying to assemble the circuit using a breadboard,  but because of my near-zero electronics knowledge,  i'm struggling with the TL072 layout.

Can anyone tell me if Keeb's thoughts are correct?

Quote from: Keeb on March 19, 2012, 07:15:54 PM

But just for my own understanding, am I correct in thinking that the U1A part is pins 5, 6 and 7 making the U1B pins 1, 2 and 3?
I'm used to thinking of opamps as a record, "A" being the first side (1,2,3,4) and "B" being the second side. That's why I'm asking.

I can't figure out where to connect what,  because i really don't know how to identify the chip's pins in the circuit...  :(

Thank you for any help :)

Edit: I also noticed that i don't have any 2,2 ohm resistor...  Could 2,6ohm do the trick?   ???

bluebunny

Most dual opamps - like the TL072 - look the same.  Here's one image grabbed at random from Google:

The + and - (non-inverting and inverting) inputs are clearly shown for each of the opamps.

I can't imagine using 2R6 vs. 2R2 will cause any problems.  Try it out - no-one will die.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

carlosfilipe

Thank you for your help.

I'll try it out and see what happens.  :)