What Defines "Hand Built"?!

Started by Paul Marossy, April 26, 2011, 11:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on April 26, 2011, 01:14:36 PM
I doubt there's very much on the market that couldn't try to assert a claim of being hand made.

Exactly. So we agree then that claiming "hand built" in the ad copy is purely marketing mumbo-jumbo.

puretube

hand-exposed...:

hand-developed...:

hand-agitated etching...:

hand--drilled...:

hand-pre-tinned...:

hand-picked...:

and
hand-placed...:

hand-soldered...:

hand-inspected...:

even the polarity-protection diode is
hand-selected...:

the final product then
hand-driven (DIY...)

to its destiny...

Hides-His-Eyes

That wimpy diode couldn't protect a pedal from a gust of slightly-charged wind!

G. Hoffman

As someone who makes "hand-built" guitars, ostensibly for a living, it is something I've given a fair bit of thought to over the years.  I use a lot of machines, and if I could afford one right now I'd probably end up using a CNC machine, and certainly a lot of "hand builders" of guitars are using CNC.  The big difference, in my mind, is the size and the ethic of the shop.  In our shop, one person builds each guitar, with a fanatical dedication to doing each step right, all adding up to a guitar which is the product of one persons labor.  I have no real problem with small shops that have more than one guy on an instrument calling themselves hand built, as long as what they are doing is a work of real craftsmanship, and not mass produced factory production.  If there is anybody doing one task, repetitively, day after day, with no variation, that isn't a "hand-built" instrument.  

It is, though, a rather ephemeral concept, though, I must admit.  

Gabriel

petemoore

Only matters in principle to me, having no troubles with SMD.
   Choosing to try to make SMD = "hand made" appears to be hammade in concept.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on May 19, 2011, 05:52:33 PM
That wimpy diode couldn't protect a pedal from a gust of slightly-charged wind!

Which one of those diodes is too wimpy to protect against reverse polarity?

Certainly not the hand-selected one, that is routed in series with the powersupply...  :icon_rolleyes:

Paul Marossy

I know some people make SMD stuff by hand so things can be made really small, but the product I had in my possesion when I started this thread has a PCB that is like 6"x4". There's no need for SMD components on something that big. Therefore I do not see it being manufactured in any other way than on a wave soldering machine, and "Handmade in the USA" on the pedal just bothers me as one who used to really make pedals completely by hand for a living using thru hole components on blank PCBs, drilling the enclosures myself, etc.

Hides-His-Eyes

The real question is, JUMPERS? ON THE SWITCH?

I don't even

R.G.

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 20, 2011, 11:29:45 AM
There's no need for SMD components on something that big. Therefore I do not see it being manufactured in any other way than on a wave soldering machine, and "Handmade in the USA" on the pedal just bothers me as one who used to really make pedals completely by hand for a living using thru hole components on blank PCBs, drilling the enclosures myself, etc.
I've had people tell me that having gotten into selling effects, they go to SMD to make it harder to copy.

I always try to keep a straight face when I hear that.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

octfrank

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 20, 2011, 11:29:45 AM
I know some people make SMD stuff by hand so things can be made really small, but the product I had in my possesion when I started this thread has a PCB that is like 6"x4". There's no need for SMD components on something that big. Therefore I do not see it being manufactured in any other way than on a wave soldering machine, and "Handmade in the USA" on the pedal just bothers me as one who used to really make pedals completely by hand for a living using thru hole components on blank PCBs, drilling the enclosures myself, etc.

Why use SMD on such a large board? Couple reasons:

1.  Cost. SMD components tend to be less expensive than through hole.

2. Possibly already using SMD on another board so why stock both SMD and through hole. Easier to monitor inventory if only using one type.

Additionally SMD makes it easier to batch a build. The original SKRM modules we sold were hand built by me and I would put down a number of PCBs, use a solder paste rework syringe to put paste on each pad, place the components, put the boards in an IR oven to melt the solder paste, allow to cool then put in the through hole components. Completely hand built, no robots used. I now prefer SMD to through hole, I find it easier to work in.

Try SMD, after the learning curve I think you will find SMD makes cleaner board layouts, less drilling and faster building. Still hand made, just a different system.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

pruttelherrie

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on May 20, 2011, 12:09:22 PM
The real question is, JUMPERS? ON THE SWITCH?
That's the hand-built part!

CynicalMan

Quote from: octfrank on May 20, 2011, 01:04:02 PM
2. Possibly already using SMD on another board so why stock both SMD and through hole. Easier to monitor inventory if only using one type.

On a DIY level, though, I find this works the opposite way. I use through-hole components for breadboarding, so why should I get a second set of components for building?

R.G.

It's not hand built unless you refined the ores.

:)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

octfrank

Quote from: CynicalMan on May 20, 2011, 07:50:41 PM
Quote from: octfrank on May 20, 2011, 01:04:02 PM

On a DIY level, though, I find this works the opposite way. I use through-hole components for breadboarding, so why should I get a second set of components for building?

I agree, you shouldn't. But the example shown is a commercial product and the question was why use SMD when there is a large board area available, I was just giving possible reasons why.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

octfrank

Quote from: R.G. on May 20, 2011, 07:52:32 PM

And you also made the tools to dig out the ore!  ;D
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

R.G.

Quote from: octfrank on May 20, 2011, 08:08:57 PM
Quote from: R.G. on May 20, 2011, 07:52:32 PM
And you also made the tools to dig out the ore!  ;D
I agree! I actually *do* know at least one design that would smelt iron, copper, tin, etc. from ore that can be made from clay and wood - and of course iron ore and limestone.  And some kind of animal skin. Need bellows - lost of air needed.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

Paul Marossy

I removed that picture of the PCB because I shouldn't have posted it in the first place. I probably shouldn't have posted this thread either, but it's too late now. The owner of the company that makes that product is pretty upset with me now and understandably so. Long story, but I can't say any more than that because it's a private matter.

octfrank

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 20, 2011, 10:45:48 PM
I removed that picture of the PCB because I shouldn't have posted it in the first place. I probably shouldn't have posted this thread either, but it's too late now. The owner of the company that makes that product is pretty upset with me now and understandably so. Long story, but I can't say any more than that because it's a private matter.

I think it is fine you started the thread, many people claim things (hand-built, original design, etc.) that are not true. I take pride in my work like you do in yours and take pride in my SMD hand builds along with things like the FV-1...OK, the FV-1 is not hand built but I am proud of the design work Keith and I did.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

tubelectron

Hi All,

I would make another difference between "hand built" (or so) and "robot / machinery produced" : the ability for maintenance or modification.

Often, when the unit has been "all built by hand", the job is easy. I wouldn't try to service or modify a BMP+TW with its SMD components - even if I saw some posts before that it is possible for some very skilled of you - or I would loose my time in an useless tentative. For me, these are not intended to be serviced, just to be trashed or recycled when faulty, like computer boards... Instead, servicing an old BMP is always possible.

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

kirs

A related question regarding "made in the US" and such.  My friend bought a Little Big Muff which EHX says are built in NYC.  I opened it up and it was a PCB with surface mount components and all.  While it does not claim to be handmade, my friend says the "built in NYC" part just means they get pre-fabbed, pre-populated boards and parts from China and assemble the guts in NYC.  Not trying to accuse EHX of anything because I honestly don't know what goes on.  Any idea?  I don't care either way, just curious.