1000 competition !!

Started by frequencycentral/Slade, April 03, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

In all honesty, I must say that at least Rick has spoken up about this and at least "offered" to make things right. This remains to be seen thus far and I still hold out in hopes that he will get Urs his prize BUT...

Has anyone asked why Slade was just able to take the money and run?

I have a GREAT idea....

How about Slade offer a custom Ruz etched pedal for the 10 year competition in return for the alleged $50 (or was it $100) that he collected from the 1000 competition. I think that would be a good way to go  8)

Also, a personal update from Rick would not be bad. It is apparent that he has not been in contact with either Rob (thanks again for jumping in to help out) or Urs.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

GGBB

I have no right to an opinion here so I also am not posting.  But this all reminds me of a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wus9A0F6LAQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=373s
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

His name is Robert Paulson....
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 04, 2013, 09:41:41 AMI have a GREAT idea....

How about Slade offer a custom Ruz etched pedal for the 10 year competition in return for the alleged $50 (or was it $100) that he collected from the 1000 competition. I think that would be a good way to go  8)

The last thing we need is another prize that won't be delivered. And the 10-Year contest has more than enough prizes at the moment.

Rob did the work; he should get the money. I can't believe that's open for debate.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

artifus

ok how about some (total?) transparency?

total breakdown of costs:

how many entrance fees of how much?

the forum received how much?

do math.

dispense justice.

who knows what has been going on behind the scenes? (seriously, i'm asking - it's ok, i don't need nor want an answer)

life happens. often outside of this forum, believe it or not. there's an awful lot of assuming, presuming and speculation going on here it seems. i'm reserving judgement until facts are revealed. fun as this is why not just contact fc or slade directly? this thread is becoming cringe worthy.

has anyone made actual contact with any of the relevant parties recently?

Govmnt_Lacky

@Jon

I agree with you now after thinking about it.

@artifus

I suppose that I am still clinging to the hope that Rick and Fernando will do the right thing. Although after this extensive amount of time, it is highly unlikely it will happen

Bottom line is that (personal opinion coming) as long as each of them can continue to post pictures of their commercial builds here and get the free advertising and google hits.... they will continue to do so   :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 04, 2013, 03:13:23 PM
Bottom line is that (personal opinion coming) as long as each of them can continue to post pictures of their commercial builds here and get the free advertising and google hits.... they will continue to do so   :-\

I doubt people surfing DIYSB on a regular basis are looking to buy FC pedals.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

artifus

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on July 04, 2013, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 04, 2013, 03:13:23 PM

I doubt people surfing DIYSB on a regular basis are looking to buy FC pedals.

You are right Jon but...

For every picture post on here or any other forum it creates another searchable hit through an engine.  ;)

Jdansti

>ok how about some (total?) transparency?

total breakdown of costs:

how many entrance fees of how much?

the forum received how much?

do math.

The money:
Quote from: frequencycentral on April 01, 2013, 10:17:21 AM
"$50 went to Slade, $100 to me, I'm using it to build/ship the prize. Not sure what Slade plans to do with the other $50, perhaps he should forward it to deadastronaut who is etching the enclosure."

Govmnt_Lacky estimated about $60 went to the forum. (21 entries x $10 = $210. $210 - $150 =$60)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=96870.msg904317#msg904317

>dispense justice.

This sounds scary. Could you elaborate?

>who knows what has been going on behind the scenes? (seriously, i'm asking - it's ok, i don't need nor want an answer)

life happens. often outside of this forum, believe it or not. there's an awful lot of assuming, presuming and speculation going on here it seems. i'm reserving judgement until facts are revealed. fun as this is why not just contact fc or slade directly? this thread is becoming cringe worthy.

I've already commented on this:

If there's a personal problem in your lives that is embarrassing, just say so.  We don't need details.  If there's a problem between the two of you, let us know.  If the partnership has dissolved or if it's a matter of procrastination, own up to it and do what's necessary to get the thing to Urs.  Whatever the problem, tell us when he can expect to have it.

If the problem is something that could drag the wait out indefinitely, say so, and we'll figure out some way to deal with it.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=96870.msg885162#msg885162

>has anyone made actual contact with any of the relevant parties recently?

Unknown.

Here are the highlights (lowlights?) of the "Trail of Tears". Highlighted text is my emphasis. My apologies if I've left anything out - please let me know anyone has anything to add or change.

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on April 04, 2012, 08:23:37 AM
Here's the skinny:

• You must build your pedal specifically for the competition - no 'previously built' entries please
  • You must post your finished pedal on the Pictures! thread on page 1000 or any of the following pages providing it is posted on the same day that the Pictures! thread reaches page 1000
  • Your finished pedal must also be posted on this thread on the same day
  • Your pedal must be 'end of the world' themed
  • Gut shots are mandatory'!
  • Slade is not allowed to enter!
  • frequencycentral is not allowed to enter!

ANYONE can enter - even your granny. But not me or him.  :'(

It doesn't need to be an original designed circuit  - just built by you.

Slade and frequencycentral will decide on the winner. The judges decision is final. No bribes will be accepted.......!

The winner gets a free 'end of the world' themed Sonic Death Ray 14 stage phase shifter, enclosure etched by Slade, pedal built by frequencycentral......

This time there has to be an entry fee of $10 USD, we need to cover some costs as the enclosure has to be shipped halfway across the world twice even before it goes to the winner. We need $150 to go towards costs, anything over that will be contibuted to Aron/diystompboxes to help keep this wonderful forum going. Bear in mind that a stock Sonic Death Ray sells for $450 USD:

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/frequency-central-sonic-death-ray-phaser/ (yeah, out of stock until they get their next shipment)

- and the one built for this competition will be a collectors item should the world survive past 2012. How to pay your entry fee will be announced shortly - we wanna work it out so people know we're not just scammin' ya!

Quote from: frequencycentral on April 04, 2012, 09:57:30 AM
Details not worked out yet. We need at least 15 entries or it's a no-go sadly, Slade and I are not made of money. Consider your fee a contrubution to the forum. Anyway, $10 - what does that get ya in the real world? So, step up! if you plan to enter then shout out, let's see if this baby is gonna fly.

Quote from: Slade on April 05, 2012, 07:17:29 AM
Yeah, 10 bucks for every chance to win that Doom's Day phaser... :icon_twisted:

Quote from: Slade on April 06, 2012, 10:33:11 PM
Don't worry, guys, just put those 10 bucks in a can while we define the best way to save your fees!

We're gonna have news soon.

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on April 15, 2012, 10:31:30 AM
Quote from: aron on April 12, 2012, 03:24:01 PM
Here's who I have:

[...]

[Back to FQ/Slade:]

+ nicofx (assuming fee paid)

That's still only 14 entrants. We are not even into covering costs yet (for what is a $450 pedal plus the additional shipping to get it etched in Chile, built in the UK), let alone putting some cash down for the running of the forum itself. C'mon - if you can't be bothered = we can't be bothered! Shall we call it off?

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on April 24, 2012, 02:59:44 PM
Okey dokey! We have 21 entrants at the last count. Our costs are covered, and some $$$s are going to the forum. It'd be really nice if more folks enter, as every penny raised now goes direct to the forum. So....the competition runs! We have to say though, any of you guys who haven't entered - enter now! Don't be a bystander! We'd really like to see some more entries, if only to support the forum. At the moment, take-up is 'average', which proabably means we won't ever run another competition after this one (and you won't believe the prize we had lined up for the next one!). So, if you ever wanna see another frequencycentral/slade competition with a way out groovy hard rockin prize - place yer bets!

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on August 23, 2012, 10:20:53 AM
TOP 5!

...it the order in which they were posted:

Geoff Leonard

nicofx

Haddock

pakrat

slacker

^^^ One of you guys is the winner...further deliberations to follow...

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on August 31, 2012, 11:51:10 AM
TOP 3!

...in the order in which they were posted:

nicofx

Haddock

pakrat

^^^ One of you guys is the winner...further deliberations to follow...(...how long can we stretch it out? Maybe until the end of the World...)

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on September 10, 2012, 05:03:26 PM
We have a winner. He has been informed.

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on September 11, 2012, 02:30:06 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 11, 2012, 02:13:14 PM
why not just announce the winner, and be done with it?

Where's the fun?

Quote from: Haddock on September 11, 2012, 03:26:51 PM
Good evening gentlemen,

wow, I never thought that I would win! I am overhelmed and overjoyed ;D. Thanks to Rick and Fernando. I look forward to the amazing sonic death ray phaser. Thanks to the whole forum and also Aaron. I could learn a lot here. Thanks to all participants of the competition. A lot of wonderful pedals were there.

The end of the world distortion has now reached version 1.1.  Additional I installed a mini PolyTune. Pictures you will find here.

[images]

;D I'm going to have a laugh the whole day in my face ;D. Thank you guys.

Greetings
Urs

Quote from: elenore19 on September 19, 2012, 05:57:03 PM
Maybe I missed it somehow, but did we ever get pictures of the slade/frequency central build that was the prize?? I really wanna see it. Seriously.

Quote from: Haddock on October 20, 2012, 01:45:20 PM
Good evening gentleman,

i'm sorry writing so late. I still haven't received the price..... :icon_frown:!!!!!
maybe in 2 weeks... I will post pix of the phaser as soon as possible...

Sorry folks.......

Greetings
Urs

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 23, 2012, 01:37:31 PM
Sorry to all participants for the delay in getting the prize together. Looking like I'm riding solo for the build.  :(  I will get there eventually.

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 23, 2012, 05:34:59 PM
just to  say,  i'd be willing to do an etch for Urs prize if slade/ricks too busy.

i know rick does etching too...but i thought i'd offer...  :)

Quote from: Haddock on December 24, 2012, 06:11:37 AM
Hello together,

3 weeks ago i sent a pm to Rick and i get no answer. Its a shame that the competition ends this way and I'm no longer expecting the price! I'm sick of waiting! Im happy about the sympathy of you guys and this is what it really makes worth it!

Thank you.

Merry chrismas and all the best in 2013

Greetings from Switzerland
Urs

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 24, 2012, 07:30:17 AM
The end of the world has been and gone.

For reasons best known to Slade, he no longer wished to be a part of this. Which leaves it on me. Great. What if I also wished no longer to be part of this? The whole situation has been quite demoralising for me personally. I had hoped he would reconsider and recant, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Rob (deadastronaut) has stepped up and offered to etch the enclosure for the prize - superb! Massive respect to Rob. I've sent him a PM accepting his help. I'll also be sending a Paypal money request to Slade so I can pass on his share of the build cost to Rob.

So, why should I not just bite the bullet and build the thing myself?

1. It is entirely appropriate that the prize should be a group effort, as was the original intent.
2. My synth/pedal business has skyrocketted this year. I have to put my distributers first if I want my business to continue.
3. I'm personally not too keen on getting sh*t on. This has been a frigging PITA fiasco all round.

That's it, I have nothing else to say. PMs regarding this will not be answered (except you Rob!). Urs will get his prize.

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 26, 2012, 11:31:43 AM
Nice one Rob! :icon_cool:

Quote from: Slade on December 26, 2012, 01:15:54 PM
The constant lack of communication isn't my responsibility.
I don't think it's good for the forum or for Rick and me to be criticizing each other's integrity publicly. Maybe if he really has been expecting for me to reconsider, he should have tried to contact me again, I tried for months and nothing happened, it's never only one's responsibility. I'm really sorry about all this and, RICK, if you still need a hand contact me and I'll be helping you, I have some time now.

Regards.

Quote from: frequencycentral on April 01, 2013, 12:17:21 PM
$50 went to Slade, $100 to me, I'm using it to build/ship the prize. Not sure what Slade plans to do with the other $50, perhaps he should forward it to deadastronaut who is etching the enclosure.

Quote from: aron on April 01, 2013, 12:26:13 PM
Please finish the prize and ship it out.

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 03, 2013, 03:23:49 AM
Update:

Hi guys, box was etched and sent to Rick at end of April...

looks cool, I can't wait to see the 'final' build too.....ahem....eventually... :)

Quote from: Haddock on June 06, 2013, 05:27:38 AM
Hello,

THX for eching the enclosure, Rob. I can't also wait, to see the final built....maybe..........sometime...... :icon_confused:
I
Greetings
Urs
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

@John

Very nice summary of events. Everything in one post!

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on July 05, 2013, 01:56:53 AM
>dispense justice.

This sounds scary. Could you elaborate?

Hmmm...

THIS  ??

(Just kidding...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Jdansti

^That's a violent video-let's talk about gun control....  ;D

NOT!!!  :-X  :-X  :-X

I'm hoping that Art is referring to justice for Urs in the form of a Sonic Death Ray phaser being delivered to his house. :)
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

I'll just leave this here................    He sees it

• SUPPORTER

Slade

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 04, 2013, 09:41:41 AM
How about Slade offer a custom Ruz etched pedal for the 10 year competition in return for the alleged $50 (or was it $100) that he collected from the 1000 competition. I think that would be a good way to go  8)

I'd love to, but do you know I returned the USD$60 (not USD$50) to Rick two months ago, so he could sent that to DeadAstronaut?
I don't know if Rick has delivered the prize yet, we're cool now but we haven't talked about it, all I know is that he has LOTS of work to do, so please PLEASE keep calmed and be a little more patient. I'm really really sorry for all this dilema.

Cheers, guys.

Govmnt_Lacky

@Slade

No. We didn't know that you sent the $60 to Rick........ We do now though!

As for Rick being busy..... I think that "reason" has passed it's expiration date quite honestly. It's good to know that you guys are cool now however, EVERYONE on this forum gets busy. Hell, I barely have time for pedal building BUT, when I tell someone that I am going to deliver a pedal, I make sure it gets to them within 8-9 MONTHS.

Personally, I think I am done with this! At first I was just wanting to see what my entry fee paid for. Then, I tried to champion Urs' situation to try to get him his well deserved prize. Now, I'm just tired of it  :icon_evil:

Needless to say, I don't think I will be entering the NEXT FC/Slade competition.

mth5044

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

@Slade-Thanks for the update, for sending the $60 to Rick, and for the apology.
  • SUPPORTER