Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakrat

I'm with you Jimi. I hope the damage isn't too bad so he can get it up and running again soon.

samhay

Some truely excellent last minute entries guys. Good to see I am not the only last-minute Nelly out there.

For what it's worth. I would have been happy to give defaced a grace period too. I guess on the bright side. Once he has it up and working, he is going to have what looks to be one amazing pedal on his pedal board - not a bad consolation prize at all.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

pakrat

Amen Sam, and I must say I love your build as well! Good job of getting it all into a 1590a (I'm afraid of those  ;D). The countersunk LED is a nice touch too

defaced

Wow!  Quite the response.  Thanks for the accolades guys.  This was an intense build from pretty much every perspective.  Alot of uncharted territories for me, the double sided board and the SMPS being the biggest risk items.  Typically I would have tested this outside the box, but I simply ran out of time.  What you see was built from about 5PM this past Sunday when the board came out of the acid until last night at 11PM when I blew up the SMPS.  Getting my dry film application technique down took ALOT longer than I anticipated.  

I dug in today and starting doing some basic troubleshooting.  I Replaced some fried parts, did some testing, and I believe the MAX1771 is dead - and I don't have a replacement.  In an attempt to get it going for the crowd, I tried rigging up a 555 SMPS driver and it sorta worked for about a second till the voltage started to drop off.  I pulled the plug and found that the replacement MOSFET was really hot, so I will probably just have to completely rebuild the entire high voltage side of the SMPS.  Such is life.

As for any discussion regarding a time extension, I would have refused it.  I knew when I conceptualized the project it was going to be a beast, and with my current work travel schedule it would be tight. I also was unwilling to go through the motions for a smaller (but similarly scoped project), so I knew what I was getting into when I started.  

I did consider posting after the close time to disqualify myself as a gesture, but I'm pretty sure GL said earlier in the thread that if you weren't finished to post what you had, so I charged as hard as I could and posted what I had before the buzzer rang.

Thanks again guys.  When I get this up and running I'll post in the video demo and pics thread with final results.  
-Mike

Govmnt_Lacky

@defaced

I think I may have a MAX1771 hanging around. Let me know if you need it. More than willing to send one out to you if only to see your project in action.

As for the competition, I am going along with the other judges and I will score your entry accordingly without the audio/video.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pakrat

defaced

Thank you for the offer.  I think I'm going to work this one from the inside out and verify the audio path is working with a linear supply (transformer) then work on the SMPS as a sort of separate project.  For that I'll probably buy a bunch of 1771s from Mouser and give it hell (I've already fried two of these, one from a bad layout which I think I fixed (it arced from the HV rail to ground under the filter cap) and the one last night with my meter).  A better layout with test points would have been nice.  Oh the joys of a Rev 0 design.  

I'm cool with however the judging works out.  This was more of a personal challenge for me and just to see if it could be done.  
-Mike

garcho

I expect to see FULL BUILD THREADS for each of these pedals!    ;D

Already have my FX-MAS contest circuitry brewing in the ol' noggin...   :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

samhay

pakrat - thanks for noticing. The countersunk LED was an attempt to give it a bit of a 60's death ray look.
Ultimately, I would like to make these countersinks parabolic reflectors - with diffused LEDs in the focal point I should be able to get much wider beam of collimated light off them. Quite frivolous, but then I am much better at physics (day job) than enclosure decoration.

garcho (and Mustachio) - build threads sound fun. My circuit could do with a little revising as the low pass filtering is currently set a bit low and I am struggling to fix this without making a right mess of the octave waveforms. Any suggestions most welcome.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

garcho

QuoteMy circuit could do with a little revising

You're in the right place, my man. Start a thread and give it a year, and your LPF will be fine tuned. Or, you'll get distracted and forget about it because you're building 1000 other things at the same time.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: defaced on November 23, 2012, 09:08:13 PM

As for any discussion regarding a time extension, I would have refused it.  I knew when I conceptualized the project it was going to be a beast, and with my current work travel schedule it would be tight. I also was unwilling to go through the motions for a smaller (but similarly scoped project), so I knew what I was getting into when I started.  

'

Mike...respect, and nothing but. ya know, you still may win something. this project is amazing, sorry for all the drama yesterday.
just really, really was bummed when i realized i'd painted us all into a corner.

you're ace in my book, man...and wow, what a concept!!!

like i said...respect.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

oldschoolanalog

The mutual respect, integrity and sharing of knowledge that has been displayed here makes me feel honored to be a member of this forum.
All you guys ROCK! :icon_cool:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Jdansti

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I thought it would be nice to see all of the entries together.  I've provided them below in the chronological order that they were posted. Please let me know if I've left anyone out or if any of the information is incorrect. Thanks!  :)

Blue Warbler by Jon Patton/Midwayfair

Juicy Pulptortion by Jürgen/Tuckster

Frankenstein Pulse Wah by Mike Scheurer/HaveYouSeenHim

Blüe Monster by Bengt V./Vallhagen

Folie à Deux by Gary/Garcho

Shiny Wobbly by Ian/Ronan

Super Vixen by Ian M./Slacker

Little Big Angel by Pelle T./Perrow

Echo Base Mini by Frank/Packrat

The Enchanter/Psychodrive/Top Secret by Travis Pike/Beo

Demon Mojo Power Fuzz by Lucifer's Trip

Full Face Fuzz by Gord T./GGBB

Mutron Micro V by Jim/Mustachio

The Puslinator by John Danna/Jdansti

Double Up by Sam Hay/Samhay

Cut-Throat by Defaced

Super Tube Screamer Executive by Packrat
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

garcho

You forgot this one, by some guy named Mike:

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Quote from: garcho on November 24, 2012, 05:44:09 PM
You forgot this one, by some guy named Mike:

I left him out on purpose because I don't think his ideas will ever catch on.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

@John

Actually, you did miss one. Pakrat actually entered 3 total builds. The Executive TS AND the smaller TS in his final submission were BOTH entries in the competition.

EDIT: Sorry, went back and re-read the post. The Executive TS has 2 boards in it so that accounts for the 2 entries.

Sorry to derail  :icon_redface:

I'll get back to judging now!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

@Greg- thanks for taking a look at it. :)
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

John, thanks for putting those together. Maybe once the judges have judged, you should post that as a thread in the main? We gotta show off what a cool contest G Lack, Dino and Jimi (and Aron) put together.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

haveyouseenhim

Good idea.   A summation of all entries, samples, and layouts. 

@John   Mine is called the 'Frankenstein Pulse Wah'    ;D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Jdansti

Good idea Gary- I agree with you 100%. I'll probably just post the photos and creator names in the Pictures thread. If we want to also consolidate all of the build docs as Mike suggests, I think I would do that within this thread. I've had "unpleasant" reactions from some folks who would rather not have their time wasted by postings about the contest outside of this thread.

Mike-sorry about the name. I'll change it. Thanks for letting me know.
  • SUPPORTER