Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Quote from: pakrat on November 26, 2012, 11:39:55 AM
Thanks Jimi, that vocalizer sounds amazing!
@Rob I guess we should say congrats to all of the weiners  :D

And exactly there, the botten is nådd, as we say in swedish.  :icon_mrgreen:

Hehe... those saucage posts actually mean something to me. Besides this geek pedal hobby and playin some music i am part of the swedish rock climbing community. And as a boring old fart in that crew i always whine about "only being in it for the bonfired sausages" (or "we're only in it for the hot dogs"... whatever translation suits...)...

Guys. Damm. Wow. Wow again... i'm very very happy n proud and honored to be among not only the participants, but also among the 8 winners (weiners, right... ). Hehe.. im trying to focus on solder something but i get distracted updating this page over and over...

Congrats everyone involved to a real success.

Cheers!

digi2t

Quote from: pakrat on November 26, 2012, 11:09:52 AM
The "Sweet Sausage" pic will increase ASTRONAUT-omically in value.... ok, that was bad!
Guys, I am truly honored to have placed in this competition!! With so many incredible builds submitted, I'm still in a bit of shock.
Many thanks to Greg, Jimi, digi2t, and Aron for running such a great contest and for the amazing generosity in donating the prizes. You guys are true gentlemen, and it was an honor and a pleasure to take part in this. I am already looking forward to the next one.
There are so many great prizes, but I think the Colorsound Vocalizer is calling my name, so that will be my choice  ;D
Congrats to all of the winners! This was definitely a fierce competition that brought out the best in everyone. With so many great projects here, I'll surely be busy over the next few years trying to build them all.
Thanks again everyone, this was a blast!

P.S. Rob, do you think as runner up I could get a non framed version of the Sweet Sausage pic?

I'm honored that you chose my Vocalizer clone. Swimming against Christmas toy tide, a battery will be included.  :D

Please send a PM to Greg regarding your choice, and supply your mailing info as well. Greg is handling all the logistics, and we prefer that all info be channelled through him first, so as to avoid any mess ups. For my part, it's packaged, and ready to go.

Congrats.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pakrat

Again, thank you for the INCREDIBLE generosity digi. It will be an honor to have one of your builds on my board.... especially one that sounds that good AND has a battery included!

digi2t

Quote from: pakrat on November 26, 2012, 12:42:50 PM
Again, thank you for the INCREDIBLE generosity digi. It will be an honor to have one of your builds on my board.... especially one that sounds that good AND has a battery included!

No problemo miho.

It's going in the mail today.

Cheers!
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pakrat

Quote from: digi2t on November 26, 2012, 01:49:46 PM
Quote from: pakrat on November 26, 2012, 12:42:50 PM

No problemo miho.

It's going in the mail today.

Cheers!

:D

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 26, 2012, 11:53:29 AM

Next up is LucifersTrip.

Your choice sir??

– Store credit to DIYStomp store in the amount of the entry fees (minus shipping costs). Courtesy of the entrants and Aron.

thanx again to all involved...it was a blast. Now that I have the vids down (thanx Steve), I'll consider some more for other pedals...
always think outside the box

slacker

Congratulations to all the winners and everyone else involved in the comp, including Rob, it was a lot of fun. If any of you guys decide to run another one let me know and I'll knock up something as a prize.

Govmnt_Lacky

Great choice LucifersTrip! Please DIRECTLY PM Aron to make arrangements for your prize AND your T-shirt.

Next up is Ronan.... What's it gonna be?

-- $25 in credit to Smallbear electronics w/ free shipping. Courtesy of Steve.
– Custom "Stupid Pedal Tricks"  Sterno Face Pedal shipped to winner. Courtesy of pinkjimiphoton.
-- A prize pack of your choice of 3 PCBs from JMK PCBs shipped to the winner in accordance to the rules in the initial post. Courtesy of Jacob
-- $50 in store credit to madbeanpedals. Courtesy of Brian "bean"
-- Grab bag of "Modulation Junkie" build parts to include: (2)TL072, (2)MN3007, (2)MN3101, (2)V3205, (2)V3102, and (20)2N5952 shipped to the winner in accordance with the rules in the initial post. Courtesy of Dave "oldschoolanalog"

Pick your poison and remember to PM ME so I can pass it along!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Perrow

Congrats to all winners, been an honor competing with you. Seeing the other entries I didn't really think I'd win anything, but I hoped the non disclosed score sheets had something in them to help me get the necessary points for one of the lesser placings.

Quote from: slacker on November 26, 2012, 04:20:23 PM
Congratulations to all the winners and everyone else involved in the comp, including Rob, it was a lot of fun. If any of you guys decide to run another one let me know and I'll knock up something as a prize.

+1, I think I can pick a few things together to make up a prize.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Ronan

I'm really grateful to the judges, Aron, the prize givers, and all the contestants. I thought I'd be lucky if I got a prize, I thought my chances were slim.

And how could I not go with jimi's sterno face? That would be a blast for my fuzz-deprived home! I know I'll have to pick up the shipping but that's OK, USPS should be OK.

Thanks again for quick judging, and congrats Jim with the Micro V, really nice build!

pinkjimiphoton

ian,
man, i am TRULY HONORED you would choose my humble offering!!

please pm me your addie, so we can work out the deets. i'll give it a once over, make sure the battery is fresh, and get it out asap!!

;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

Great choice Ronan!

Up next is Garcho. What WIIIIILLLLLL he choose??

-- $25 in credit to Smallbear electronics w/ free shipping. Courtesy of Steve.
-- A prize pack of your choice of 3 PCBs from JMK PCBs shipped to the winner in accordance to the rules in the initial post. Courtesy of Jacob
-- Grab bag of "Modulation Junkie" build parts to include: (2)TL072, (2)MN3007, (2)MN3101, (2)V3205, (2)V3102, and (20)2N5952 shipped to the winner in accordance with the rules in the initial post. Courtesy of Dave "oldschoolanalog"
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

WhenBoredomPeaks

What is going on with Mustachio's Mutron? Is it now running two LPFs in series making it's response 24db and the resonance higher?

Ronan

Its a micro v, and is a different circuit to the Mutron III, I don't even know how the filter works, or what it is called, its unusual (to me, a relative newb). Mustachio did an interesting mod by running the two sections of the LM13700 in parallel, which I assume halved the output impedance of the OTA(s) which feeds the opamp, which gave a definite improvement in sound according to Jim (Mustachio). Sure sounds good in the clip!

Edit - I'd really like to understand the filter in the micro v, but it might be something for another thread, unless its a really short answer :)

deadastronaut

^ make it another thread, i'm very interested in this too... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Mustachio

Haha I'd like to understand it more too! I will be starting a build thread on this soon and try to modify this further hopefully with help from all you guys.

Ronan probably understands this circuit better then I do, he helped me a lot. When I was working on this I put the lm13700 on the bread board isolated from the pcb and ran jumpers from the pcb socket to the connected pins on the bread board. I Had it all working normal first with one side of the OTA. Then I tried to just jumper over to the other half of the OTA. Removed pin 5 the output and tried to run it just off of pin 12 (other halfs output) and it was no go. It was just a closed filter sound that would not envelope at all.... Stumped I tried everything I could and read up on it. then I noticed ronans project with multipul LM's and he mentioned his trials and the amp bias input. So I went to work there and after some trial and error and Ronan telling me about cutting the resistor in half leading to the bias I got both sides working independently of each other. Then I Did some A/B tests with pin 12 connected along with Pin 5, And just Pin 5 or Just pin 12. And Overall the sound of the filter the response and sweep seemed sweeter and more vocal with both outputs connected. I made sure to try it over and over for a few nights. There is defiantly a noticeable difference between running both sides instead of just one. And that difference was better with 2.

I also thought It would be nice to have a layout for everyone to build another envelope filter that used easy to source, cheap parts. The fact that it sounds better with both sides of the dual ota running together was just cake!

I will bread board it again and try to get it working with maybe 2 or 3 LM13700's (6 OTA's!) might be neat. But yeah hopefully some one can explain to us the different blocks of the circuit and how they effect each other so maybe we can improve on it as a group! It is a neat filter.

In the next version I have a few ideas like a switch to route the input and/or output through the extra buffers on the OTA (so you can select if you want buffered in or out depending on where the pedal is in your chain) and possibly changing the dual opamp to a quad opamp and use the extra channels for an FX loop.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

garcho

DUDES!

thank you so much! I've been traveling for about 48 hours or so, sorry it took me so long to get back to y'all.

It's honor to be among these contestants, and to actually place makes me feel like a million bucks! I can't wait to build all y'all's pedals! Turkey Day Shootout Pedal Board coming up!

I'll take the $25 bucks at Small Bear. It was a hard decision to make, thank you so much to all of the generous peeps offering prizes! I'm looking forward to returning the favor.

Thanks to the judges for all the hard work and PITA it takes to do this.

Thanks to Aron and all the awesome folks here.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Govmnt_Lacky

Alright!!!!  :D

Nice choice Gary! Don't forget to PM me with your name, address, and your selection so I can pass it along to Steve! Also, don't forget to contact Aron about that FABULOUS T-shirt!!!  8)

Up next is Mike (haveyouseen him).... Here is what you have to choose from:

Clock's ticking bro!  :icon_eek:

haveyouseenhim

Thanks to all of the judges and people that helped out this talentless noob come up with a semi presentable pedal. I really wouldn't have been able to do it without my good friends here at DIYSB.

I think I'll go with the modulation junkie grab bag.      All I have to do now is find a project that uses these goodies!
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.