Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave W

Nice.  :icon_cool:
Put a C taper pot in the 301 and you're good to go.
How about putting both of them in a 1590BB?
Next up:  A nice analog delay. Or a phaser. Or...
That's where it's at.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Dave W on December 18, 2012, 11:09:08 PM
Nice.  :icon_cool:
Put a C taper pot in the 301 and you're good to go.
How about putting both of them in a 1590BB?
Next up:  A nice analog delay. Or a phaser. Or...

In the video I said I wasn't using a C taper, but I was mistaken... I am using a C taper, but its just backwards :icon_redface: ;D

I'm working on a maestro phaser at the moment but I have to wait till my next parts order to get 2 LM13700. God, I hate my ordering situation :icon_mad:

At some point I'm going to order a Dirtbag Deluxe pcb from Brian... and use then goofy lookin v3205s  :P
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Jdansti

Great job!  Pipeline esta muy bueno, but I'm still waiting for Spirit of the Radio. ;)

BTW, I often have to rewire my pots too. Must be dispotlexia. :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on December 19, 2012, 01:57:23 AM
Great job!  Pipeline esta muy bueno, but I'm still waiting for Spirit of the Radio. ;)

BTW, I often have to rewire my pots too. Must be dispotlexia. :)

More often than not I get them backwards. 

I may not seem like it but I LOVE surf rock.

I'll look into spirit of the radio ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 19, 2012, 02:11:42 AM

I may not seem like it but I LOVE surf rock.

Surf rock rocks! (or something like that)

Growing up, Dad had a bunch of Venturers albums that I really liked listening to. I guess that was one of the groups that made me want to play guitar. I remember on the "Venturers in Outer Space" album, they used a lot of guitar effects.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ventures_in_Space
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Yea, I like guitar centric instrumentals so surf fits that perfect. Not to mention it was the first genre to rock truly hard IMO.

Look at Dick Dale. He is a true ROCKSTAR. People are all head over heels for the Rolling Stones still performing.Pfffft.  Look at this:

This dude owned lions and tigers and is an all around badass

EDIT*  I looked into learning Spirit of the Radio, and I can't play it very easily because of nerve pain in the tip of my finger from when I sliced it off :'(

• SUPPORTER

garcho

I play Misirlou, too, usually at Middle Eastern or Greek weddings, but more like the original version:

Just in case you ever wondered... Misirlou meant 'girl from Egypt' in the Turkish/Arabic/Greek parlance of the times (Misr is what Egyptians call Egypt), and the melody is just a riff from the pan-Middle Eastern repertoire, but it was made famous by a popular Greek tavern band. It's a song about a Greek guy who lusts after an Egyptian girl. The style of music is called rebetika, or more specifically smyrneika, a style of influenced from the tavern music of the ancient city Smyrni, which is now Izmir, Turkey. It's basically Greek refugees from the population exchange of the 1920s playing folk music heavily influenced by Turkish culture. There's some great songs in the old 1930s rebetika/smyrneika repertoire, real rock n' roll attitude too. Songs with titles like: 'While We Were Smoking Dope One Evening', 'Hitting the Jug and Getting High', and 'Prison Is A School'.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

haveyouseenhim

Oh man    If you got Mucca Pazza to cover Misirlou I'd freak the frick out :icon_eek:

Thanks for the education. For all I knew Dick Dale wrote that :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

^^ OK-We'll give you a pass on SOTR. :)

Yeah, Dick Dale is another great surf rocker. I notice he threw a little Malagueña in there. :)
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

Quote from: garcho on December 19, 2012, 04:09:41 AM
I play Misirlou, too, usually at Middle Eastern or Greek weddings, but more like the original version:

Just in case you ever wondered... Misirlou meant 'girl from Egypt' in the Turkish/Arabic/Greek parlance of the times (Misr is what Egyptians call Egypt), and the melody is just a riff from the pan-Middle Eastern repertoire, but it was made famous by a popular Greek tavern band. It's a song about a Greek guy who lusts after an Egyptian girl. The style of music is called rebetika, or more specifically smyrneika, a style of influenced from the tavern music of the ancient city Smyrni, which is now Izmir, Turkey. It's basically Greek refugees from the population exchange of the 1920s playing folk music heavily influenced by Turkish culture. There's some great songs in the old 1930s rebetika/smyrneika repertoire, real rock n' roll attitude too. Songs with titles like: 'While We Were Smoking Dope One Evening', 'Hitting the Jug and Getting High', and 'Prison Is A School'.

Yeah... Greeks... the original badasses.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

wavley

I've seen Dick Dale sooo many times, that guy is a bad ass.  Surf rock was my first true love (other than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly soundtrack) it's why I play a Jaguar being that it is such a great surf rock guitar.

My favorite story about Dick Dale is about one of the times I saw him when I lived in Tampa and there was this girl there that looked to be some relation to Mr. Dale behind the stage, had to be in her twenties.  I thought, geez, is that Dick Dale's daughter?  How awesome would it be to have Dick Dale as a father in law?  I then realized when he invited his 4 year old son up on stage to play drums, that it was not, in fact, his daughter but his wife.  Even though my dreams of having Dick Dale as father in law were smashed, those feelings were replaced with admiration for this guy in his 60's that could snag a gorgeous young wife and tote around 4 year old that could keep up with him on drums (something that most full grown men can't do)
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

wavley

Oh yeah, also the time that I saw him at the legendary Hampton punk club the N-Sect club (I grew up in Norfolk) and I was talking to him after the show and he took me around to the back of his amps to show me that they were Showmans number 001 and 002!  Dude was still touring with the amps that Leo build specifically for him!
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

pinkjimiphoton

i love dick, he's awesome. you can write him.... and probably get a reply, if ya send it to dick.

at dickdaleDOTcom, if ya catch my drift.

;)

he is viciously cool, and one of the all-time best . period.

anywho, that said....

Ronan/ian, the sterno face launched today...sorry it took so bloody long. but it should be there sometime in the next 2 weeks or so, hopefully!

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Ronan

Cool, thanks mate, fantastic! Good things are worth waiting for, a nice surprise for the new year! ;D

garcho

Sterno face sounds like some weird internet meme. I love it!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

It sounds to me like what you'd call a desperate wino.  ::)
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

it's named for my brotha from anotha motha, bob stern who i designed it for. he was looking for a fuzz with a bit of a treble boost to it, something to make his solo's cut thru a mix.

basically, he wanted to sound like me... i'm a fuzzface guy, but i wanted it to be something with the tone, but temperature stable..so it's a hybrid.

ian...there's three trannys inside it. as shipped is how i like it. q2 is paralleled transistors. any of the three can be interchanged, or you can run just two, whatever sounds best to you. i was looking for more gain, and lummoxed across the idea of paralleling a fet and a bipolar for q1. it sounds "different"  with both...kinda hard to put my finger on. but mess around, see what works best for ya bro!
please let me know when it arrives.

oh yah, also listed it on the customs form as a gift, so hopefully there's no tarriffs or baloney attached.

rock on!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

garcho

Quoteoh yah, also listed it on the customs form as a gift, so hopefully there's no tarriffs or baloney attached.

Wow, something marked as a gift, that's actually a gift. Who knew?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on December 21, 2012, 03:36:14 PM
it's named for my brotha from anotha motha, bob stern who i designed it for. he was looking for a fuzz with a bit of a treble boost to it, something to make his solo's cut thru a mix.

basically, he wanted to sound like me... i'm a fuzzface guy, but i wanted it to be something with the tone, but temperature stable..so it's a hybrid.

ian...there's three trannys inside it. as shipped is how i like it. q2 is paralleled transistors. any of the three can be interchanged, or you can run just two, whatever sounds best to you. i was looking for more gain, and lummoxed across the idea of paralleling a fet and a bipolar for q1. it sounds "different"  with both...kinda hard to put my finger on. but mess around, see what works best for ya bro!
please let me know when it arrives.

oh yah, also listed it on the customs form as a gift, so hopefully there's no tarriffs or baloney attached.

rock on!

Aha... When I see "sterno" I think of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterno

• SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr