News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

That ruby is neat looking!

For the wiring on the snake skin pedal: I just ran the wires through a small hole in the metal wah shell and into a small hole in the wood case of the pedal. There is only about 2" of extra wire going into the wah shell. I shielded the wah shell just in case (I ran a ground wire to the case and bolted it down) Seems fine...  Both the wah shell and the main unit are bolted to a bottom plate so it's all one piece in the end.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

darron

that's awesome andy!
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jlullo

when you guys print onto stickerpaper, or any paper, are you using illustrator to lay out your pedal graphics?

smank

I agree Andy: it looks very nice!

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: andy123 on September 19, 2006, 05:07:21 PM

nothing as slick as the finishes above but here's my finished ruby...

I call it the Ruby Jean  :D

Andy

DEFINITELY original.  8) looks pretty slick...what size speaker did you put in it?

andy123

cheers guys.

The speaker and knobs were donated from an old valve radio. The speaker was and old (vintage! :D) oval type rola. It sounds great and fit inside perfectly. The grill cloth actually has a nice vintage weave but it didn't come out too well in the pic.

If anyones wondering the switch on the left selects between the standard Ruby and the Bassman mod.

The best thing is that it fits inside my guitar case!

Andy

343 Salty Beans

Well, I ordered the parts from futurlec about a week ago, so I've got a while to wait...but here's the graphics I've designed for my future modified ross comp and my Rebote 2.5 (which isn't really analog, persay...). I spent about an hour on each, and I'm so freaking stoked to build I had to post something. So much energy and naught to do with it!!!!

Thanks for the tips, markm.

markm

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on September 20, 2006, 08:14:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, markm.

Anytime my friend!
Looking REAL good, I'd be stoked too!  8)

mjones99

Quote from: jlullo on September 20, 2006, 12:39:38 AM
when you guys print onto stickerpaper, or any paper, are you using illustrator to lay out your pedal graphics?

You could use Illustrator, Freehand, Canvas, Corel Draw, Autosketch, etc. any fairly precise drawing or cad program should do.  I would say if you know Illustrator use that, if you know corel use that, and so on.

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: mjones99 on September 20, 2006, 10:58:56 PM
Quote from: jlullo on September 20, 2006, 12:39:38 AM

You could use Illustrator, Freehand, Canvas, Corel Draw, Autosketch, etc. any fairly precise drawing or cad program should do.  I would say if you know Illustrator use that, if you know corel use that, and so on.

I use fireworks but it's an expensive program.

markusw

Hi,
some more on photo positive laquer. This time the aluminium was much harder to sand than on previous builds, unfortunately, also harder to etch. You see the second try since I had to sand off a previous etch that didn't work that great. Actually it workerd quite OK but while sanding off the black paint, I realised that the dark stripe surrouding the "TZF Mistress" labeling was etched much weaker than the dark letters. Thus, while sanding I also removed the "Mistress" letters :( Maybe I didn't move the enclosure enough while etching. Suppose the etchant was consumed more rapidly in this area yielding a lower etching depth. Anyway, the second time I skipped the black paint and just sprayed the box with one layer of "Zapon" laquer (nitrocellulose sometimes used for coins, sticks quite nicely to sanded aluminium).
Without the black paint the lettering is obviously less intense bit it's dark enough to be seen.

Regards,

Markus

mongo

Superb!! wich layout is that for the electric mistress?

Andy

markusw

$uperpuma

another etch attempt...not perfect, but starting to get better... this thing is crazy... blippity dual oscillator.
I used and verified choklitlove's layout for this, taken from Forrest M. Mims' schematic in the 555 minibook...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

markusw

Quote from: $uperpuma on September 22, 2006, 01:09:53 PM

another etch attempt...not perfect, but starting to get better... this thing is crazy... blippity dual oscillator.
I used and verified choklitlove's layout for this, taken from Forrest M. Mims' schematic in the 555 minibook...

cool  8) I like the labelling! Is the LED pcb mounted? hm, I will try to etch deeper next time. It really looks better with black paint!

markm defintely set the ball rolling with his great tutorial :)

Markus

$uperpuma

the LED hole is drilled to a very close tolerance, the top of it fits thru easily, but the bottom must be forced a little..that wedges it in , then the on/off switch is soldered to one of the led pins, that holds it well in place. I always preferred the flush mounted look... comes from my car security days when I'd take the LED's out of the shrouds to flush mount them into the dash bezel for a cleaner, more stealth look.
Yes, MarkM has really inspired some cool looking boxes. Here's another one of you bastard kids, Mark! :)
With this one I learned not to be afraid of small letters. PREP IS EVERYTHING!
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

pi22seven

Everybody's etchings look sooooooo good! Great job!

I'm just happy if I get pots on the same line! :icon_redface:

markm

Quote from: pi22seven on September 22, 2006, 03:28:00 PM
Everybody's etchings look sooooooo good! Great job!

I agree.
Very nice job $uperpuma and markus, you guys are making some great looking enclosures for sure  8)

Quote from: $uperpuma on September 22, 2006, 01:25:29 PM
Yes, MarkM has really inspired some cool looking boxes. Here's another one of you bastard kids, Mark! :)

:icon_lol:

Quote from: markusw on September 22, 2006, 01:19:32 PM
I will try to etch deeper next time. It really looks better with black paint!
Markus

Don't go too deep, I have been doing my etching a little bit shallower lately and coming up with much better results.
That said, I can see why you would have had a problem with the black portion on yours, it's a reverse type etch and that's alot harder to do than just a "standard"  etch.
Maybe next time try using a wider sanding block with 600 paper. 600 is less aggressive than say 400.
Also, if you apply a very light coat of wax or even guitar polish to the lettering, the paint will just flake off of the lettering for the most part, then lightly sand the top just to clean it up and your set!
I did this with the "BlackCat" enclosure and the "Red Llama" that are in my picture section.
It worked well.

markusw

QuoteDon't go too deep, I have been doing my etching a little bit shallower lately and coming up with much better results.
That said, I can see why you would have had a problem with the black portion on yours, it's a reverse type etch and that's alot harder to do than just a "standard"  etch.
Maybe next time try using a wider sanding block with 600 paper. 600 is less aggressive than say 400.
Also, if you apply a very light coat of wax or even guitar polish to the lettering, the paint will just flake off of the lettering for the most part, then lightly sand the top just to clean it up and your set!
I did this with the "BlackCat" enclosure and the "Red Llama" that are in my picture section.
It worked well.

Thanks for the tips! Suppose you have to be very careful to apply the wax or guitar polish only to the letters? Did you also observe that larger areas get etched less intense than just letters. On the Mistress enclosure the "normal" letters were etched perfect for the "black paint method" (even the tiny 9-15V labelling) but the black area was etched way too less, it was barely recessed.

Markus

zjokka

wow, there's some real heavy artwork going on here.
puma, that console is really punk with the sprite stuff. neat.

my pnp blue has arrived, so should get etching, the only way to go.
finished so many boards, and really never boxed anything up. But now my fuzz face clone is 'bowled up' I really feel a bit proud and will spam m here. Sorry I posted this as a separate thread, kind of belongs here:

thanks for all this inspiring post in this thread, all!
zj