The 'Gilmour' Build Guide (Deluxe Electric Mistress V4 Clone)

Started by GGBB, April 24, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGBB

Following up on Greg's build from last month, here is the build guide for this fabulous analog flanger pedal in a much smaller footprint.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=49005&g2_GALLERYSID=95344885a9a14f7f4f642b822789e62c

We both hope everyone will build one!
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Looks GREAT Gord!

Hope there is a good response to this. This pedal is AWESOME!!!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

GGBB

Quote from: midwayfair on April 25, 2013, 10:53:33 AM
That build document is just insanely detailed. Kudos.

Thanks Jon.  Unfortunately I've already spotted a couple of things I missed.  Nothing major - the pic of the +15-35VDC With Simple Reverse Polarity Protection Only power section is the wrong one and there's a couple of minor details I forgot to mention.  I'll get a new version up by the weekend.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Sorry I didn't spot that Gord.

Good catch! I really hope people give this a try. Definitely worth the build and the parts are pretty cheap for a flanger build  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

I'm loving this build! GGBB and Govmnt_Lacky did a great job with the layout.

I know it says it can't fit in a 1590BB, but.......... :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on May 16, 2013, 12:57:14 PM

Looking good Mike!!  :icon_mrgreen:

Be sure to use some kind of stand off or way to keep the PCB from making contact with the enclosure.  :icon_eek:

Video/Sound clips??

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 16, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
Looking good Mike!!  :icon_mrgreen:

Be sure to use some kind of stand off or way to keep the PCB from making contact with the enclosure.  :icon_eek:

Video/Sound clips??

I'm going to use a light plate, and for lateral placement probably some hot glue.

I'll have some clips in the next few days.  Knowing me that means 30 minutes. :P
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

pakrat

Wow, how did I miss this! Great job on this guys, the build guide is amazing. Where can you find the Rd5106a? I see the Rd5106ANP is available on ebay, would that work? The build guide also suggests that an Rd5107 may work, but not verified.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pakrat on May 16, 2013, 02:53:35 PM
Where can you find the Rd5106a? I see the Rd5106ANP is available on ebay, would that work?

YES!! The transformer is also located on eBay. Look up user "futchamusic"

The build guide also suggests that an Rd5107 may work, but not verified.

Still has not been verified however, it SHOULD work when the clock speed is doubled which would mean the clock trimmer and perhaps the series resistor (3K9 with the 5106) would need to be changed.

At max Range, the clock...as is... gets to about 500KHz. As long as you stay below the 1MHz limit for the BBD, you should be OK

pakrat

Ben N

How does this compare to the Thomeeque/Madbean 9v EM project? An RTS board would also be nice, if someone would like to take that on.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: Ben N on May 17, 2013, 03:49:27 AM
How does this compare to the Thomeeque/Madbean 9v EM project? An RTS board would also be nice, if someone would like to take that on.

This one is Deluxe?  :icon_biggrin:  I don't really know much about the differences - I'm sure there is a lot of similarity, but they are not the same thing (the Gilmour is a faithful DEM V4 clone, different BBDs, different circuit, ...).

As for a pre-fab PCB, the layout started out life as a DIYLC project and then went graphical, so there are no gerber/eagle/cad/ yada-yada-yada files.  I'm not sure there's anybody out there that will do a run of single-sided boards based off a PNG or PDF - I've looked without success.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ben N on May 17, 2013, 03:49:27 AM
An RTS board would also be nice, if someone would like to take that on.

As far as I am concerned, it is up to Gord (GGBB) on whether or not he wants to let this project go to someone to develop a gerber or any other modifications in order to develop an RTS board. He came up with most of the work... the PCB layout, build doc, etc.

I was just the guinea pig  ::)

GGBB

As the young peoples (used to) say, I'm down with that.  If anyone wants to copy any of my layouts in the build guide using eagle or whatever for the purposes of professional PCB production (say that 5x fast) then you have my full permission, PROVIDING it is not for profit and you share the file(s) here as the build guide has been.  I, and I'm sure Greg also, undertook this project as a free-will contribution to this DIY community, so I would hope anything spun off of it would also be for the benefit of the community.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 17, 2013, 04:54:22 PM
I was just the guinea pig  ::)

Truth be told, Greg was the driving force - I just happened to let it slip out here one day that I like doing layouts. :icon_smile:  In fact, the very first layout was done by Greg in ExpressPCB - I just copied that one and evolved it.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

I've updated the build guide to V1a.  I added a diagram for connecting the toggle switch and added a battery powering option to the DC powered version.  You can now use two 9V batteries in series as a powering option.  I don't know why I didn't include this before.  The link is the same as before: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/diyuser/GGBB/The+Gilmour+Build+Guide.pdf.html.
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: GGBB on May 18, 2013, 11:10:58 AM
I've updated the build guide to V1a.  I added a diagram for connecting the toggle switch and added a battery powering option to the DC powered version.  You can now use two 9V batteries in series as a powering option.  I don't know why I didn't include this before.  The link is the same as before: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/diyuser/GGBB/The+Gilmour+Build+Guide.pdf.html.

Awesome. I had a heck of a time getting the switch right. I'm a little slow with schematics.
  • SUPPORTER

pakrat

Quote from: GGBB on May 18, 2013, 11:10:58 AM

Updates to the already incredible build guide, thanks Gord! This pedal deserves to built just on the merits of the guide alone, it probably sounds great too. I'm a little skeptical of the sellers on ebay with the RD1506ANP, some feedback reports of fake chips from them. Have any of you guys gotten them from the sellers u-barn or hkutsource?

@haveyouseenhim  Mike, your build looks great! Did you finish it and if so, how does she sound?