FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

potul

Quote from: printer2 on September 26, 2017, 09:27:47 PM
That thread was why I got the chip. Seems that to get it to act as a common delay pedal you need to do it in an eeprom. I have nothing against using one, just more work. Program 4 seems to have a delay and a pitch shifter. Controls are pitch, delay and mix. I guess you could do a feedback control around the chip but that is an aditional pot when it would have been more convenient to use one of the three pots

That's right, you need to program the EEPROM for a common delay. On the other hand, I can tell you that the big fun of the FV-1 is when you jump into programming and you can fully customize the algorithms.

The project in this thread is really a nice one, and worth the effort. I just finished mine some weeks ago and I'm having fun testing different programs.

On the other hand, you will need some way to program the eeprom. Best way is to get a pickit2 clone, but there are other means as well.

If you are willing to build one, I have some spare PCBs in my parts drawer. I could send you one at part cost+shipping depending on where you are. And I do have some EEPROMs I got for free from Microchip. I can include one already programmed with your choice of software if you want.

Mat

Ice-9

Just a quick reply to everyone asking about the missing pictures and files for this FV-1 project, I've just had a quick look through the thread and most of the downloadable stuff that's needed is all available on pages 13-15 (most of it on page 14) of this BIG thread.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

printer2

Quote from: potul on September 27, 2017, 12:16:47 PM
Quote from: printer2 on September 26, 2017, 09:27:47 PM
That thread was why I got the chip. Seems that to get it to act as a common delay pedal you need to do it in an eeprom. I have nothing against using one, just more work. Program 4 seems to have a delay and a pitch shifter. Controls are pitch, delay and mix. I guess you could do a feedback control around the chip but that is an aditional pot when it would have been more convenient to use one of the three pots

That's right, you need to program the EEPROM for a common delay. On the other hand, I can tell you that the big fun of the FV-1 is when you jump into programming and you can fully customize the algorithms.

The project in this thread is really a nice one, and worth the effort. I just finished mine some weeks ago and I'm having fun testing different programs.

On the other hand, you will need some way to program the eeprom. Best way is to get a pickit2 clone, but there are other means as well.

If you are willing to build one, I have some spare PCBs in my parts drawer. I could send you one at part cost+shipping depending on where you are. And I do have some EEPROMs I got for free from Microchip. I can include one already programmed with your choice of software if you want.

Mat

Here you go, give this a try, don't worry crack isn't addictive.

How far I have fallen down the rabbit hole. First it started with building a tube amp for a colleague. Then years of the smell of flux and the aroma of a warm tub amp. I have enough tube to outlive me many time over. Heck, just make a cigar box guitar, nothing to them. Years later and piles and piles of sawdust I am starting to get the hang of building guitars. And of course I have enough wood to keep me building for a decade or two. and every once in a while I say to myself, I really should learn how to play the guitar some day.

And now jumping into digital programing? Hey that sounds like fun. Originally I just wanted to make a small lightweight amp to drag around and wanted to add reverb. But the chip has a lot more promise in it that wants to be let out. How could I deny it?

I'll have to look over the thread a little more, I just skimmed through it. I bet my brother has a programmer, he does electronic design for a living. I'll let you know once I get a handle of how deep I want to jump. Thanks.
Fred

potul

Ice-9

Quote from: potul on September 28, 2017, 01:29:30 AM
Good.  Welcome to the dsp world!

Yes, Welcome to the DSP world ! The goalposts are about to move with a new DSP chip on the horizon though. So lets look forward to when the Dev. board is ready and released for us to play with.   8)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

jack_stereo

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 27, 2017, 10:00:59 AM
Javier I tried to PM you but your mail box is full so I will post the reply here.

Hi Javier,
I will have a look for some of the schematics and BOM as soon as I can, If I remember correctly there is also a rar file in the thread somewhere which should contain all the files so If I can find that link I will let you know.
The switch board has 11 resistors soldered to the board which are SMD and all 2k7.

If you have any other questions go ahead and ask.

regards
Mick

Hey Mick,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I already emptied my inbox, I should be receiving pms again now.

Great, I think i have all i need to start with: BOM and some extra info on this thread, as well as the resistor's value for the rotary switch pcb. Thanx for that, Mick.

One more thing...as far as i can see, in your project,  there are 3 pots for paremeters 1, 2 and 3 of the fv-1 and another pot for program selecting. So, there's no mix knob. I guess that can be easily using another pot and
keeping an all analog dry signal, am i right? The problem would be fitting it in a 1590b enclosure....

Javier

Ice-9

Quote from: jack_stereo on September 30, 2017, 04:51:08 AM
Javier I tried to PM you but your mail box is full so I will post the reply here.

Hi Javier,
I will have a look for some of the schematics and BOM as soon as I can, If I remember correctly there is also a rar file in the thread somewhere which should contain all the files so If I can find that link I will let you know.
The switch board has 11 resistors soldered to the board which are SMD and all 2k7.

regards
Mick

Hey Mick,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I already emptied my inbox, I should be receiving pms again now.

Great, I think i have all i need to start with: BOM and some extra info on this thread, as well as the resistor's value for the rotary switch pcb. Thanx for that, Mick.

One more thing...as far as i can see, in your project,  there are 3 pots for paremeters 1, 2 and 3 of the fv-1 and another pot for program selecting. So, there's no mix knob. I guess that can be easily using another pot and
keeping an all analog dry signal, am i right? The problem would be fitting it in a 1590b enclosure....

Javier

Regarding the external dry mix there isn't because this circuit has the dry mix going through the FV-1, there is no analogue only signal path. Yes you could mod the circuit to add that but it would be a struggle to fit in the 1590B.

I did make another updated version of the FV-1 pedal which has 3 FV-1 pots, the selector switch, the analogue dry mix pot and a dry lift switch for full wet which could be used nicely with a parallel fx loop for wet only. I never released this PCB yet though. It is also 1590B size.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

jack_stereo

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 30, 2017, 06:19:00 AM
Quote from: jack_stereo on September 30, 2017, 04:51:08 AM

Hi Javier,

regards
Mick

Hey Mick,

Javier

Regarding the external dry mix there isn't because this circuit has the dry mix going through the FV-1, there is no analogue only signal path. Yes you could mod the circuit to add that but it would be a struggle to fit in the 1590B.

I did make another updated version of the FV-1 pedal which has 3 FV-1 pots, the selector switch, the analogue dry mix pot and a dry lift switch for full wet which could be used nicely with a parallel fx loop for wet only. I never released this PCB yet though. It is also 1590B size.

That would be just what i'm looking for...3 fv-1 pots, 1 analog dry/wet mix pot and a program selector switch in a 1590B enclosure (woulndt mind if it was a bigger enclosure though). That dry lift switch for full wet would do just great for me, since i use the fx most of the time in a FX send loop from a mixing desk.

I have a question....If i'm going to be using only 3 programs from the external eeprom,or even just 2, i guess i can use a 3 way toggle switch to select them, am i right? in that case, is the pic12f683 needed at all?

And one more thing i cannot see clearly in the pcb: just at the right of the IC2 there are 3 solder pads (between IC2 and the voltage regulator) what are they for? any letters or numbers can't be seen in my pcb, sorry

Thanks a lot once again, Mick

Javier

pruttelherrie

Here's another PCB I made for a few projects. It's a bit flexible in how you set it up, but that also means you have to think things through (I'll get to that in a minute).
It 'borrows' heavily from work by David Rolo and Raul Duke.

* analog mix pot
* analog feedback, from Rout back to Rin
* three programs selectable with an on-off-on toggle switch
* small footprint components: I use 1/8W resistors and small ceramic caps

The analog feedback frees up one pot for your patches, but you'll need to feed the output to Rout as well.
I have built a standalone testpedal (1590BB) with it but also incorporated in a bigger all-in-one (gate/HM2/preamp/FV1) pedal which I have used live for over a year.
I did a little trick in that all-in-one: the FV1 board is in a tailsloop, switching the effect off also wires in a second feedback pot (with a bistable relay) so you can have a moderate feedback while soloing, but have lots of feedback and tails at the end of the lick. It has the comparable effect of a dynamic delay, but dynamic delays tend to not work that well with heavily distorted (compressed) signals and this one does :)

Eagle files and gerbers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9zes64ow6h3ceo/FV-1%20main%20board2%20eagle.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1riwrrasexi0jd/FV-1%20main%20board2%20Elecrow.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy53pkmz3u1n93r/FV-1%20main%20board2%20iTead.zip?dl=0

poolontheroof

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 28, 2017, 03:50:44 PM
Quote from: potul on September 28, 2017, 01:29:30 AM
Good.  Welcome to the dsp world!

Yes, Welcome to the DSP world ! The goalposts are about to move with a new DSP chip on the horizon though. So lets look forward to when the Dev. board is ready and released for us to play with.   8)

Interesting, what's the new chip called?

imJonWain

Woah!  I may have to give this a shot!  I haven't done a digital pedal before but I do a little bit of similar stuff at work...
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 17, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
SINGLE SIDED PCB LINK

Here is the single sided pcb file, it can be opened using Diptrace and printed at the correct size. You can also use diptrace to edit and make any changes to the pcb that you like to suit your own requirements. (I can give a little info on edits if needed).

BEWARE the schematic and component numbers are not the same as the one in this thread, I haven't drawn out a schematic to match this PCB yet but it isn't hard to trace with a pen and paper, the schematic is nearly the same as the double sided pcb though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxsnlsbxdciqSVlKZlR5QV9KdDA/view?usp=sharing

Diptrace is free to download.

Has anyone here from the forum built this pedal with this single side version of this pcb?
I would like to know about the construction. If everything went well, if it worked well ...

Ice-9

Quote from: Ashura on October 24, 2017, 09:46:03 PM
SINGLE SIDED PCB LINK

Here is the single sided pcb file, it can be opened using Diptrace and printed at the correct size. You can also use diptrace to edit and make any changes to the pcb that you like to suit your own requirements. (I can give a little info on edits if needed).

BEWARE the schematic and component numbers are not the same as the one in this thread, I haven't drawn out a schematic to match this PCB yet but it isn't hard to trace with a pen and paper, the schematic is nearly the same as the double sided pcb though.

Has anyone here from the forum built this pedal with this single side version of this pcb?
I would like to know about the construction. If everything went well, if it worked well ...

If you are eching this pcb yourself then should be no problems, if you were to have it fabbed then the holes will need to set to the correct sizes as they are default small. (this of course does not affect making the pcb yourself as you will be drilling all the holes to the correct sizes for each component.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

potul

Is there a 2 sided diptrace project available as well? I didn't see it in the thousand pages of this thread....

Ashura

Quote from: potul on October 25, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
Is there a 2 sided diptrace project available as well? I didn't see it in the thousand pages of this thread....

Yes. On page 16 of this topic (Reply #319). The download address is this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxsnlsbxdciqUmJzTjBUQVk3NGc/edit

More information about the file, if you have after reading page 16, I believe Ice-9 can give you.

potul

Quote from: Ashura on October 25, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
Quote from: potul on October 25, 2017, 01:56:50 PM

Yes. On page 16 of this topic (Reply #319). The download address is this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxsnlsbxdciqUmJzTjBUQVk3NGc/edit

More information about the file, if you have after reading page 16, I believe Ice-9 can give you.

Thank you very much! I didn't spot it. I was thinking I had downloaded all the project documents posted during the years.

Mat

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 25, 2017, 11:20:27 AM
Quote from: Ashura on October 24, 2017, 09:46:03 PM
SINGLE SIDED PCB LINK

If you are eching this pcb yourself then should be no problems, if you were to have it fabbed then the holes will need to set to the correct sizes as they are default small. (this of course does not affect making the pcb yourself as you will be drilling all the holes to the correct sizes for each component.

Thank you Mick.
I have been comparing the DipTrace projects of the double and single sides PCBs and I have some doubts. Could you please help me understand the following questions (?):

I see that double side PCB and single side PCB do not contain the same components. For example: on the double-side PCB there is a MOSFET indicate in place with the inscription TR1, while on the single-sided PCB I do not see this component. However, on the site I see another inscription that seems to me to be where this component goes: https://www.schurter.com/en/datasheet/4840.2211

Could you please explain to me why the absence of this MOSFET component on the single side PCB?

I see that the single-sided PCB comes with an inscription in which it says "Rev-2". Is this an indication that this would be the second version, improved in any respect compared to the double side PCB?

Ice-9

Ok, The single sided board was a  home etching to make sure the effect pedal worked before making a final double sided pcb so is only classed as a pre prototype so to speak, Rev2 on that board referred to , well that it was the second try. There are no documents that go with this board and possibly component numbers differ to the final 2 sided board. You will have to trace out the circuit yourself to make a schematic if you really want to etch your own single sided PCb. Easy enuff job as you have it as a Diptrace file. As for any other info I don't have anything else for that single sided pcb. but it should be the same except for the Mosfet

The MOSFET is just a different polarity protection circuit instead of a more typical diode.

The double sided board was the final project board.

The link you sent was just to a website with a dc jack ????

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 27, 2017, 02:36:15 PM
The link you sent was just to a website with a dc jack ????

Yes. The numbering (4840-2211) inscribed on the single-sided PCB in the part where it is supposed to have a MOSFET like the double-side PCB, led me to find a DC Jack. Is this interpretation correct? In this part of the PCB is a DC Jack?

Sorry for ignorance, but why use a MOSFET instead of a diode in this project?

Digital Larry

Quote from: Ashura on October 27, 2017, 02:55:07 PM
Sorry for ignorance, but why use a MOSFET instead of a diode in this project?
In general, a MOSFET will have lower forward voltage drop than a diode, which is probably not important in this circuit since it would regulate 9V down to 3.3V for the FV-1 anyway.  I don't know if there are parts of the circuit that operate at 9V - if so, then there might be a benefit to using the MOSFET approach.  I use a diode on my own FV-1 board.  If a MOSFET and resistor(s) are cheaper than a diode that might be a rationale as well.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer