Wedgies Anyone? A 1590B tutorial

Started by Cozybuilder, April 03, 2015, 06:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Ordered some of those the other day, look to be very similar to the Alpha 2pdt i have and they are much smaller then the big blues. The Alpha's have a much nicer actuation then the big blues as well, i'm expecting as much from the BLMS's.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Cozybuilder

I quit using the big blue 3PDTs awhile ago when I started concentrating on small box builds, but this box will accommodate one- if you don't use the inside nut. I get the smaller components from BLMS- prices are competitive, and Lawrence is a great guy to deal with.

My solution to keep pots, jacks, and switches from turning is a small dab of JB Weld- some might disagree with this as it makes disassembly more difficult, but they don't move, and you don't need to crank the outside nut down so hard that it breaks the component. Just make sure your board works before you do final assembly.

Heres a couple of shots showing the relative sizes of the switches and jacks:

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Luke51411

I like those mini 3pdts, the actuation is shorter and they just feel better. Great tutorial!

vigilante397

Quote from: canman on April 04, 2015, 12:33:23 AM
Not to derail the thread, but just another little bit on painting...turns out I've done it wrong haha.  I bake it while it's wet...150 for 30 mins, and after it cools its dry to the touch.  So I may have to let it dry and try it that way.  How long do you let it dry?  The full 24 hours?

I'm not nearly that patient :P My paint cycle:

apply paint, wait 10 minutes
throw in oven, wait 10 minutes
remove from oven, wait 10 minutes

repeat until satisfied :)

Sorry to continue to derail this excellent thread. Carry on everyone :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mark Hammer

I'm glad I asked.  Those lower profile ones look sweet.  Never knew they existed.

Cozybuilder

I think Mark Hammer brought up an excellent point regarding clearance issues. The hole is centered on the flat, where you would expect to drill it. Heres some photos to show the clearances:

1: Blue 3PDT with nut on inside. Clearly an interference.

2: Blue 3PDT without the inside nut. Marginal, but the bottom plate allows additional clearance. The hole can be enlarged and the switch inserted further, thus no clearance issue.

3: Low-profile 3PDT (from BLMS), nut on the inside. No clearance issue.

Cozybuilder

The low profile switch can be found on E-Bay too- L9P for the pin version, and L9K for the lug version. The DPDT versions are L6P and L6K.

jefe

Ice-9

They do look nice but I can see after many stomps that the top might just fall off, what we need is an all in one casting made just like that, for the person that invests £20K they will make it back in no time.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

davent

You could pin the top at the two front corners into the tapped holes if you're worried about it breaking away.

Pancake switch would look great on the top of one of these.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Ice-9

Just a thought, but if you can dremel out the wedge shape , then leave the top uncut it may be possible to use some heat and then bent the top down to form the shape. this would leave a more secure top. Great idea for a different enclosure cozybuilder. :)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

~arph

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 04, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
They do look nice but I can see after many stomps that the top might just fall off, what we need is an all in one casting made just like that, for the person that invests £20K they will make it back in no time.

Steve?  I would personally prefer these over the bearboxes anytime. Just give it a bit more height so the blue ones fit ( with inside nut, i do not  like the switch sticking out of the top so far).  If these were available i would not buy anything else in this size range

tubegeek

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 04, 2015, 07:58:38 PM
Just a thought, but if you can dremel out the wedge shape , then leave the top uncut it may be possible to use some heat and then bent the top down to form the shape. this would leave a more secure top. Great idea for a different enclosure cozybuilder. :)

I haven't tried it but I think you'd end up with the top part ending short of the front edge - the angled distance is longer than the original length.

GEOMETRY, BITCHES!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

~arph

The gap Will be the same (bitch?) 😁 but one end will still be attached. Lol

Cozybuilder

Some interesting comments. If you're worried about the strength or adhesion of JB Weld, check out its properties- this isn't 5-minute epoxy. I've used it for repairing all kinds of things, including setting a new bearing in a worn out bearing pocket in the middle pulley on my 50 + year old drill press 2 years ago.

You can certainly use the principles in this for modifying thicker boxes if you prefer to use the blue 3PDT switches with the nut on the inside- the 125B comes to mind, there are plenty of others.

I hope some of you find a use for this, I had fun with it.

tubegeek

Quote from: Cozybuilder on April 05, 2015, 10:23:53 AMIf you're worried about the strength or adhesion of JB Weld
You'd do better to worry about whatever holds the Brooklyn Bridge up. JB Weld doesn't kid around. Serious stuff.

QuoteI hope some of you find a use for this, I had fun with it.
I think I certainly will, I love playing with that great grey goo, and the final shape is pretty much ideal. Thanks for the excellent pics!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

~arph

J b weld seems cool stuff.. If only it could be found in europe

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

they look real nice, congratulations. Epoxy putty is also very useful to close any holes that you changed your mind on.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

armdnrdy

Quote from: ~arph on April 05, 2015, 12:26:18 PM
J b weld seems cool stuff.. If only it could be found in europe

Here's a European JB Weld wholesaler.

http://www.jbweld.eu/english/about-us/index.html

Maybe try to contact them to find out where to purchase in the EU.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)