Way Huge pcb...

Started by amz-fx, February 12, 2004, 06:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Doyle

Skreddy,

I don't know how many he has left, but Steve at Small Bear carries the 3086.

Jay

Mark Hammer

Five thousand hits on ONE THREAD!!!

Holy Toledo!!

It's a fuzzbox lads.  Get over it.

puretube

I bet, Sir Jeorge W. Huge is watching this thread, and l.h.a.o.....

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Mark HammerFive thousand hits on ONE THREAD!!!

Holy Toledo!!
Now that's a Way Huge number. ;) It's been a very interesting thread.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

erix

Quote from: Jason StoutI wish matched jfet arrays were made.....  :(

Ask and you shall recieve!

http://www.linearsystems.com

ok,
erix

RDV

Quote from: Mark HammerFive thousand hits on ONE THREAD!!!
Holy Toledo!!
It's a fuzzbox lads.  Get over it.
We're all watching for the parts list.

It is a fuzzbox..... that sells for $500.00+ on eBay.

Regards

One of the Vultures on the fence(A/K/A RDV).

Mr.Huge

BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

bobbletrox

Quote from: erixAsk and you shall recieve!

http://www.linearsystems.com

ok,
erix

I just sent for samples  :cry:

MR COFFEE

Chillen,

People who seek status or to increase the draw of their studio "arsenal" blow lots of money on expensive and aging FX with "legendary reputations" they've probably never had a chance to hear and  don't really know what they are buying before they have plunked down the really big bucks  to buy them...

All the money and secretiveness gives boutique FX a bigger draw than, say, if the truth be known,  that some "legendary" boutique pedal is simply a clone of an old standard...  :shock:

Anyone besides me notice Jeorge ain't talkin' no more, and got funny about his no-longer-made "intellectual property" (the PCB anyway)...HEY, you don't think that like maybe HE is the dude selling his unsold stock of 'Pickles to suckers for $500 a pop?  :lol: And wants to keep the "legendary" BS going to build up his 401K? :shock:  

Hey, I thought he HAD a day job now with Digitech... :lol:

BTW - those monolythic caps in the tone control network come in even smaller values than .01 uf - like down to .001 uf (1000 pf to those of you in more progressive countries than the USA).

Plug those values into Dave Cigna's tone stack calc, and you'll see what LITTLE bit is different about Jeorge's clone of the BMP...

Not necessarily better sounding, mind you... but what little IS different. Worth $500 ? Oh, yeah, SURE... :lol:

Build a triangle BMP and name it after something shaped like a prick - or "Mr. Huge"... you'll be better off. Tweak the tone network, maybe piggy it, it may be WAY better still - or maybe EH has already done a really good job of tayloring the frequency response of the BMP...

Hey, use YOUR ears to tweak it. Isn't that what this site is all about :?:

Anyone ELSE notice Jeorge couldn't even keep straight who posted the pics... anyone ELSE notice he got RG and Jack mixed up? ... I guess he was too caught up in his I'm-the-Jedi-Master ego trip...

I concur with Mark Hammer...
Quote"It's a fuzz box, lads"
, ......
:P
Bart

aron

MR Coffee,

Despite whatever changes there are in relation to the Big Muff, people will pay more for a given pedal for various reasons.

I think that Jeorge has been very clear about where he stands and in fact, I think he has been very cool about this whole situation. He didn't say you can't post your own drawing of a PCB layout, just not his.

There are several inaccuracies in your message regarding him. He doesn't work for Digitech (at least AFAIK).

Peter Snowberg

Mr Coffee,

I think Mr. Huge has been more that cool about his hard work showing up of the net and then extremely gracious about helping out when the questions arose. He could have asked that it all disappear right away, but he didn't. Instead he helped out and provided a few laughs along the way for many of us and now a whole bunch of people are aware of parts they didn't even know existed.

If you don't want to pay that price then don't, but bashing him for something that he may or may not be doing is childish.

....and he doesn't work at DigiTech.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Alex C

Based only on his comments in this thread, I like Mr. Huge.  He seems to have a good sense of humor, and always encouraged us to discover ideas on our own.  I feel that he was very generous with how much of his COPYRIGHTED material he allowed us to post and distribute.  He seems to value greatly the ideals of the DIY community.  

Señor Huge, I stand with you.

bobbletrox

Crud, there don't seem to be any distos in Australia with LM394s or NTE2321s.   :?

ErikMiller

Maybe the Way Huge haters can get together and come up with their own BMP variant called The Sour Grape.

Bassybert

QuoteMaybe the Way Huge haters can get together and come up with their own BMP variant called The Sour Grape.

Ha Ha. Very clever Erik

Don't want to seem like a hippy or anything but why is there so much dislike from some people on this forum to others. It's simple - if you don't like Mr Huge not wanting his boards posted then that's up to you. Why not spend time and energy into LEARNING rather than moaning that this company is ripping people by selling a BMP 'clone' for $loads or that company is selling fuzz face copies for 3 time more than they should. It's up to them and if people want to buy them, they pays their money and takes their choice!!

Personally, I think Mr Huge's pedals sound great, and he's helped people work things out on this forum that would normally have taken them a lot longer. It's funny how the ones who moan and complain are usually the ones who are too selfish to help others

Jim

afranks

Wait a second...

All this BS about the Swollen Pickle being a $500 BMP clone is crap.

Those who weren't on a meth bender in the 90's would remember:

- The SP *never* cost $500 when new... it was around $200, from what
I recall.  It's the easily aroused collectors that have upped the going
price to $500.
- At the time, the only *real* manufactured BMP was the Sovtek Russian
POS.

So, the SP was one of the few, if not the only one, American made BMP
at the time.  And you could buy it for $200 or so.  Sounds good to me...

Personally, I think Jeorge has been cool about this thread.  He even
helped a little bit.  The only vague element on that pedal was the IC.
Now that the mystery is solved, the rest is an exercise left to the reader.
Why should he stick around to help you draw the PCB layout?

BillyJ

Ben-"This is a dangerous time for you... and you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force"

Ben-"Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view."

Yoda-"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Yoda-"Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight."

Huge rocks!!!

rhinson

hello there,  since the bmp is already out there in board layout form for diy consumption,  i'd like to see someone use this transistor array idea on something that i don't think is out there yet on anyone's free site--the univox superfuzz.   it's got 6 transistors so you could use a 2n5088 for the input and output and use the array for the middle 4 transistors.  i know this effect is way more over the top than the bmp and is therefore not as useful for most folks, but it is something that hasn't been done yet and posted for download.  i used to have an original gray box model and one small mod i made to it was to replace the dpdt (on/on) with a dpdt (on/on/on) so that the middle pos. blended the 2 extreme tones together to get sort of a more"normal" fuzz type sound.  anyway,  just a slightly offtopic response to the bmp/transistor array discussion.        thanks          rh

Fret Wire

an internally matched jfet array for the phase 90?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Mark Hammer

Matched JFET arrays such as the AM9711 (I think that's the number) were used for several phasers long ago, such as the first Ross phasers.  We'd still be using them or their equivalents....IF they were available.  Sadly, they aren't.